Could the Weeper be a surgebinder

Elena

I posted about his in the topic regarding Jasnahs survival. I am of the opinion that Liss doesn't really have a Blade and was just using Szeth to do assassinations for her. Until she, like everyone else that used him, becaome disgusted/freaked out, and sold him.

This connected to my theory that Liss and Tyn are actually one and the same.

I posted about his in the topic regarding Jasnahs survival. I am of the opinion that Liss doesn't really have a Blade and was just using Szeth to do assassinations for her. Until she, like everyone else that used him, becaome disgusted/freaked out, and sold him.

This connected to my theory that Liss and Tyn are actually one and the same.

Jasnah talks to Liss like one would to an old acquaintance - and Szeth seems to be a fairly recent aquisition (he says himself that usually never stays with the same master for more than a few months). Liss has clearly been in business (where by business I mean: killing people gourging their eyes out) for far longer than that.

Also, she's IMO not the same person as Tyn - Liss's attitude is fairly different. She seems to be more self-assured and secure in her position in the world, while Tyn was a hustler, pure and simple - never took risks to endager her survival, never kept the same identity or did the same job for too long.

Jasnah talks to Liss like one would to an old acquaintance - and Szeth seems to be a fairly recent aquisition (he says himself that usually never stays with the same master for more than a few months). Liss has clearly been in business (where by business I mean: killing people gourging their eyes out) for far longer than that.

Also, she's IMO not the same person as Tyn - Liss's attitude is fairly different. She seems to be more self-assured and secure in her position in the world, while Tyn was a hustler, pure and simple - never took risks to endager her survival, never kept the same identity or did the same job for too long.

I don't think it's fair to use the attitude and behavior of people whose vocation consists of changing their attitudes and behaviors as a good measure of who they might be. 

As I mentioned in my other post. Both women are master of dialect manipulation and of the "long con" referred to as extended observations. Remeber how stealthily Tyn crept up on 

after 6 years it's not surprising that Liss would be different than she once appeared. And who knows what her circumstances have become. She may never have even been established as a spy following the assassination of Gavilar. Certainly a lot of unknowns.

snip

Okay, maybe I used the wrong word. 'Character', then. Tyn was a mouse - the kind of person who lives and thrives at the edges of society, never bold enough to actually expose herself. Just see how she handled the Jasnah situation - and that wasn't a fake persona, not where no one could see her. it was all her.

Liss seems to me all the opposite. She doesn't hide, doesn't scam or play tricks - she goes straight to the target and kills him off. 

These are two completely different ways to handle a situation, two completely different people. There's also the fact that 1) as I said, Liss surely has been in business for a while, longer than she had Szeth so it couldn't be his blade she was using, and she couldn't be a con artist. She was so sure of herself even *after* giving Szeth away. And 2) Tyn goes out rather easily against Shallan. Of course, she has a Blade, but as Adolin teaches us, a Blade is not much of an edge in close quarters. Had Tyn been a (former) trained assassin, Shallan wouldn't have had a chance. 

There's no way in hell these two are the same person, unless something completely drastic and traumatic and life-altering happened to Liss, something that made her into a completely different person, turned a confident assassin into an easily-scared hustler. The likeliness of this actually having happened, since it's the Stormlight Archive and not The Bold And the Beautiful, is low. I'll stick with my Occam's Razor and go with the simplest explanation. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and Tyn doesn't have to be an incognito hit-woman. She was plenty cool just being herself.

I don't think Nalan being at the party forbids her from being a surgebinder.  Jasnah was there and discovered her bond that night and Nalan didn't do anything about it.  I think Nalan hadn't cracked yet and hadn't yet set out on his dark mission.

On the other hand I don't think Liss is a Herald or a surgebinder.  I think she is what she appears to be, a very skilled assassin who happens to be in possession of a shardblade. 

Really what I'm saying is you have no idea who Liss is. You think you do because you watched Liss behave a certain way with Jasnah. But that's entirely possible to be meaningless. We also saw how Veil acted in front of Mraize. Turns out Shallan is different than Veil, its just acting.

That said, I am not even 100% sold on this. I think it just ties up the prologue in the most relevant way. There are obviously several other possibilities. Liss's "supposed personality" is just not a proof for anything

if this was all that there was to it I might agree... but there was more to my post than just supposed personalities, something like timelines and in-text hints that make the possibility that Liss was using Szeth blade all but impossibile. Lets just agree to disagree.

As to the Honorblades, unless he was totally lying (and he could be), T tells Szeth that he heard one of them was stolen from the Stone Shamans...

Maybe another Herald has their blade back? 

He was totally lying to save himself, because Szeth had almost discovered he wasn't Truthless and T needed an explanation for the surgebinding Szeth had seen.

I bet she is not just a herald, she is Vedeledev. 

Herald_Vev.png

Evidence:

1) her accent. considering the herald inate language abilities, he skill with changing her accent seems perfectly reasonable.

2) gouging out the eyes. Vedeledev's body focus in the eyes. the weeper gouges them out. but gouging out the eyes seems a bit extreme, even if you do kill with a shardblade. why? because in a world dominated by shardblade and plate, gouging out the eyes would be a dead giveaway if someone bothered to put two and two together.

2b) there is no evidence that she has light eyes. infact, the maid's outfit she appears in seems evidence to the contrary. now how would she have a shard blade and still have dark eyes, unless she is a herald? rember szeth's eyes only changed color when he had summoned his blade (I think, I don't have the quote though)

3)I am a believer in the idea that after the heralds broke the oathpact, they lived based on a corrupted version of the attributes. Vedeledev's divine attributes are loving and healing. A hired assassin is about as for from that as you can get.

As for the blades, she might have been the herald to reclaim theirs, or brandon/the stone shamans might have mislead us.

I really like this theory.

I don't get why people keep thinking that the heralds are darkeyes. Baxil's Mistress is described as having pale purple almost white eyes, definitely not dark, and she is the only "supposed" Herald I think the forums are in general agreement on. 

I don't get why people keep thinking that the heralds are darkeyes. Baxil's Mistress is described as having pale purple almost white eyes, definitely not dark, and she is the only "supposed" Herald I think the forums are in general agreement on.

I prefer to think that their eyes could be both dark or light. Taln's are brown, but it could be because he's not currently bonded to his Blade, because it's not actually Taln, or because rules are different for Heralds as opppsite to regular surgebinders. We don't know, no use making up a rule on such a small pool of characters - and it's not even proved they are actual Heralds.

As for Liss, IMO her eyes must be light or Jasnah would have remarked on the oddity.

• Chaos locked this topic