Only 10 Surges?

Cortar

Each Shard has some control over their own magic. Preservation and Ruin settled on 16, likely because of the 16 Shards of Adonalsium. Honor (and Cultivation?) probably liked 10 better.

Each Shard has some control over their own magic. Preservation and Ruin settled on 16, likely because of the 16 Shards of Adonalsium. Honor (and Cultivation?) probably liked 10 better.

I'm not quite sure Shards have enough control over their systems that they can decide this sort of thing. I think it's more likely that the number 16 was an integral part of Preservation - perhaps Preservation was the 16th Shard that shattered from Adonalsium, or something. Naturally, any world Preservation settled on would have had 16 parts to the system, forming a symmetry. Similarly, 10 would be an integral part of Honor (or Cultivation?), and any world they would have settled on would naturally have had 10 somethings to the magic system. I don't think they can specifically choose to say "I want 16 metals in this metal based system!", though I accept it's a valid enough interpretation while we have little evidence to go on.

@OP:

We know there aren't 10 Unmade. This implies Odium has a special favorite number of his own. So that's cool, maybe? Certain numbers are important to certain Shards, but it seems like there's no real 'special' number in the Cosmere. It would be sort of odd if there was, I think.

Edited by Moogle

Umm, not exactly.  The Shards do not design the systems.  The systems come about from the Realmatic interactions between the Shards and the planet they are invested in.  There was no designing.

Both 10 and 16 are significant numbers in the cosmere, that is going to manifest itself in the magics.

KCHAN
How does Snapping work after Sazed changed it? If you don't want to reveal it all right now, are there any hints you can give us?
BRANDON SANDERSON

He couldn't get rid of this entirely. I don't want to spoil things, but Snapping was built into Allomancy primarily because of larger-scale magical issues. This is getting deep into the issue, but it has to do with a person's spiritual makeup and a 'wounded' spirit being easier to fill with something else, kind of like a cut would let something into the bloodstream. Sazed made this threshold on Scadrial much easier to obtain.

-Source

KCHAN

How does Snapping work after Sazed changed it? If you don't want to reveal it all right now, are there any hints you can give us? BRANDON SANDERSON

He couldn't get rid of this entirely. I don't want to spoil things, but Snapping was built into Allomancy primarily because of larger-scale magical issues. This is getting deep into the issue, but it has to do with a person's spiritual makeup and a 'wounded' spirit being easier to fill with something else, kind of like a cut would let something into the bloodstream. Sazed made this threshold on Scadrial much easier to obtain.

-Source

Thanks!

• Chaos locked this topic