Syl - a different take (full book spoilers)

Arkennys

I really like your analysis, a lot. However, I don't understand where you get the 'malevolent' bit from. I agree with you that there are (if small) inconsistencies in Syl's characterization, and IMO with the whole Radiant business - just look at how many thread there are discussing the significance and/or interpretation of the Words and what should come from it (the Dalinar thread is my favorite one at the moment).

Whether this was deliberate from Brandon (fairly likely, he likes to play his hand close) or simple plot inconsistencies it's yet to be seen, and we probably will never know. This is by no means a critics - inconsistencies in small fantasy franchises are fairly common as the author figures out exactly how the magic system is supposed to work, improving as a writer as the years pass. Just look at Jordan, or even at the Harry Potter saga. Brandon seems to have planned out everything in freakishly precise details, so it's more likely that he's doing it on purpose - but even if he isn't, and simply still hasn't picked a definitive characterization for Syl, the story will be awesome all the same so I'm not overly concerned about it.

BTW, I think it's quite clear that your interpretation of the character is not the one Brandon is going with (unless he's been trolling us the whole time - never say never with him) but it's still fairly interesting, as alternate-character-interpretation are one of my favorite things about a saga - it's a good sign when something is so well written and layered that different people sees different shades of the story. (Like, for example - I'm a big ASOIAF fan and yet I consider Tyrion, who is the author's favorite character, as a budding psycho; while canon interpretation definitely doesn't agree. I still enjoy the story, even though I read the story through my very personal interpretation lens).

Again, this was really a good read, and I thank you for sharing. 

This is an interesting take on what happened.

However, I have a different understanding. Feel free to disregard it as I don't have much to support it, but a feeling it's right.

I view Syl as an extension of Kal's consciousness at least to some regard. After his first talk with Moash about the assassination attempt on Elhokar, Kal started having problem with his weapon (same happened after Syl died). Note that Kal felt it was wrong to do nothing about Moash, but Syl didn't hear what was all about and Kaladin didn't tell her either. Yet he was not at peace with himself and their bond was disturbed.

Later on, Syl disappeared when Kaladin went to speak with the men that persuaded Moash to help them kill the king. Kaladin knew in his heart he shouldn't do it and so Syl was pushed away from him.

Kaladin never felt assassinating Elhokar was truly the right thing, so when he silenced the voice inside him (his consciousness), Syl was silenced as well (aka dead, back in Shardesmar).

She can not answer questions Kaladin can't answer. He asked her why she hadn't told him he could heal from a Sharblade wound (after the fight with Szeth) and she told him:

Because I didn’t know you could do it until you did it

Much the same, Syl doesn't know what right and honorable until Kaladin decides.

Thus why Kal hesitation to help Dalinar in WoK didn't create a problem - at first Kaladin though Dalinar didn't deserve to be saved. But in WoR Kaladin knew in his heart allowing Elhokar to be killed was wrong, he just spend a lot of time not being able to explain why it was wrong. Kal acted against his own consciousness and thus against his honor and bond with Syl.

So no, Syl wasn't forcing Kaladin to do anything, all he had to do was follow his heart. No, she couldn't give neither answers nor words as they should come from his heart. He is the one making or breaking promises, not Syl. 

edit: adding some additional explanations and changing some words I used wrong.

Edited by Aleksiel

I found this post very interesting. I don't see Syl as malevolent (she seems more... mischievous in her lines), but I do share some of your feelings on the spren requiring very 'fanatical' (you might say) obedience to their values. Also: Syl's inability to answer hypotheticals is insanely frustrating. I didn't realize that was a pet peeve of mine before reading WoR. Just answer the darn question, Syl!

And yes, Dalinar's bit with Kaladin and Syl's defense of Dalinar was... eh. Oh, and the jail time was even worse. Ugh.

Wyndle didn't strike me as all that creepy, but the "mold her" line does imply there's some serious manipulation of Lift going on. (Not that it's working. Unless it is?) So... I guess you could say you've shifted my view.

Pattern, of course, is ostensibly the creepiest, but I found his straightforwardness about his desires rather refreshing. His type's desire for Shallan to know herself at a deep level also seems the most harmless to me. Kaladin's protecting a bad king who might do terrible things to Alethkar, but all Shallan can say is that she accepts herself for who she is.

Thank you for taking the time to write this.

Edited by Moogle

I am more inclined to agree with Aleksiel here... It seems that her values of right and wrong are derived from deep down what Kaladin believes to be right or wrong. 

Its interesting that Wyndle and Pattern seem to have more of an idea with what is happening than Syl... They know what their Radiant's are capable of, know of the politics in the Shadesmar etc.

I do share some of your feelings on the spren requiring very 'fanatical' (you might say) obedience to their values.

Wouldn't you be fanatical about it too if your human not following them meant that you would lose your very sense of self?

Not saying that she shouldn't learn to ease up, but it's understandable at the very least.

I don't know that I'd really agree that Syl stops being concerned about Kaladin's welfare in WoR. It's mainly that there aren't similar physical threats to Kaladin that she can do too much about. She's certainly concerned about how Kaladin's obsession about lighteyes is affecting his decision making (for good reason, I'd say).

I also don't interpret the scene where Syl tells Kaladin that she doesn't think he's really trying to do the right thing the same way. It seems pretty clear that Kaladin believe he's doing the wrong thing by agreeing to help assassinate Elhokar (Kaladin spent pretty much the entire book believing it to be a wrong thing, but was having difficulty articulating why). Her point isn't that he has to make up his mind; her point is that by his own moral standards, he's choosing to do the wrong thing.

That interpretation combined with Syl's inability to answer Kaladin's real moral dilemma leads me to think that her sense of morality is really a reflection of Kaladin's own. Much like how she can't think without the bond, she can't really make judgements without it either, and the judgements reflect Kaladin's conscience. It might be that some functions are 'hardwired' in (like the protecting thing) but overall her interpretation of morality appears to be consistent with not-broken Kaladin's interpretation (down the the parts where he doesn't have an answer).

I do agree the spren seem pretty creepy. Syl mentions herself that she doesn't really understand people still. There's clearly some level of moral dissonance going on, though how sinister it is is hard to really tell at this point.

FWIW, I have a working theory that the Recreance was caused by the revelation that spren are farming humans for the bond. We know that a broken soul is necessary for the Nahel bond, and that the spren require having a human (host?) bond partner to become sentient. It doesn't seem like a big step to notice that the spren have to ensure a supply of broken humans in order to maintain their 'race' in the physical realm, and in turn that they might have taken *active* steps to ensure such a supply. Just another paranoia-inducing hypothesis when it comes to creepy spren behavior.

Wouldn't you be fanatical about it too if your human not following them meant that you would lose your very sense of self?

Not saying that she shouldn't learn to ease up, but it's understandable at the very least.

Oh, certainly. I don't think it's out of character for them, and it's definitely understandable. I just think that it's important to see that spren are not humans and have values that differ wildly. They're also fairly single-minded, I think.

Also: they could not bond, I guess? So I think I can still be mildly disapproving of the devotion required to maintain a bond.

Edited by Moogle

I think the reason she didn't answer the Parshendi question is that she clearly hates the whole situation. She encouraged Kaladin to go to Dalinar's rescue, but left because the killing hurt her. The Parshendi were soldiers, so killing them in battle to save others was acceptable, but neither of the engaged sides were really in the wrong. So actually, I think if there had been a Parshendi Windrunner, his honorspren might tell him to leap into the fray. Though I would say that the more proper action for a Parshendi at the Tower once Saedas withdrew would be to call a ceasefire and negotiate.

For Elhokar/Moash, I felt that Kaladin had sworn contradictory oaths and Syl wanted him to get more of the Words to determine which should be kept. Also, she wasn't that helpful in resolving it because the fraying of the bond seriously hampered her intelligence.

I don't think Syl actively controls the bond. Remember, it goes both ways; when the bond weakens Syl loses intelligence. She goes back to being a talkative windspren when Kaladin has trouble drawing stormlight.

As for Amaram, Syl clearly disapproves of assassination. She encourages Kaladin to report Amaram's crime to the local authority, which is a right and proper way of handling it. Dalinar's response is entirely reasonable; while he doesn't believe Kaladin he does investigate the charges. He doesn't find anything because Amaram successfully covered it up, not because he didn't look.

Also: they could not bond, I guess? So I think I can still be mildly disapproving of the devotion required to maintain a bond.

If they don't bond, people don't Surgebind and don't get Sprenblades. Then they fight Stormform and Thunderclasts and lose, everyone dies, and the spren die too.

i guess bond Spren are more like persons then pets.

Sly starts out more like a pet then anything else,

she slowly progresses to become a person, which she propably was in her realm before.

becoming a person again, can change alot, even with decisions she made before - like binding to a human.

things get much more complicated in this stage or getting close to it.

sure in "pet" stage Sly can not have much of an agender of her own, but shes growing.

An interesting analysis although I, like other, think you are ascribing too much separation between Syl and Kaladin.

It seems to me that Syl is, for al intents and purposes, Kaladin's conscience and so articulates herself as such. I disagree almost entirely that her concern for Kaladin is gone, just that his conflicts are much more internal, human and complicated and she is only capable of limited understanding.

She basically tells Kaladin to 'Buck up' and 'get over it' because she does not understand the mental illness that Kaladin is experiencing.

I think it is a bit like apparent who can see their teenage child making bad decisions but feeling unable to adequately intervene without making the problem somehow worse.

From my understanding Spren are a kind of mini Shard. So, to a certain extent, the whole honor/protection stich is instaled in Syl and she can´t uphold the bond if Kaladin doesn´t act the right way. How did Hoid put it: "The Shards here are very strict." (paraphrased)

Another, thing is that in WoK Kaladin could use protecting his men as an excuse for his actions. However, he has no excuse for wanting to beat up Adolin or killing Elhokar.

And while I´m already defending Syl. By the point Dalinar told Kaladin that he investigated Amaram, Syl´s mind was starting to regress. And without a mind you can´t properly discuss matters of morality. Before that Syl was just arguing against Kaladin´s general Lighteye predjeduce.

Still, I have to admid that you bring up some good points. Even though I blame most of the Sprens creppyness on them, well how do I put this, not being humans but instead advanced concepts.

I am more inclined to agree with Aleksiel here... It seems that her values of right and wrong are derived from deep down what Kaladin believes to be right or wrong. 

Its interesting that Wyndle and Pattern seem to have more of an idea with what is happening than Syl... They know what their Radiant's are capable of, know of the politics in the Shadesmar etc.

I believe Syl's knoweldge about everything is more affected because, as stated, she disobeyed the Stormfather in order to come to the physical Realm and bond with Kal. Wyndle was assisted by the rest of his kind (forgot what kind of spren he is...) specifically so he won't lose so much of himself and his memory while coming to the physical Realm. As for Pattern, while it wasn't quite said, it was implied that his bonding to Shallan was not forbidden and maybe even supported by the rest of the Cryptics, much like Wyndle.

If that's correct, I guess it begs the question of whether the Stormfather is the father of only honorspren, all spren associated to some degree with Honor, or all spren in general (which I find highly unlikely, as apparently not all spren where forbidden to come).

First off - to say such a thing about Syl!!

Beyond that, the reason that the bond weakened was because of Kaladin's own internal conflict. Regardless of what he said at any point, he KNEW that killing Elkohar was not the right thing to do. His decision to tell Moash that he was on board with their plan didn't further damage the bond because the damage had already been done the moment that he decided that killing the king was acceptable.

The quote that you read was one where Kaladin was essentially trying to convince himself that he was trying to do, hence the emphasis on "trying". He knows he's wrong, but he WANTS to do it.

The stronger the bond gets, the closer the two of them get to one another. The difference is that Syl wouldn't have the protection from emotions that people do. We tend to push stuff down when we don't want to deal with it (see - Shallan's entire storyline in this book). Syl would feel the full force of those emotions (theory).

As their bond weakens (due to Kaladin's internal conflict), Syl's level of intelligence and sentience decrease to the point where she is just like her cousins, the windspren. That's the reason that they don't have the same types of conversations. Kaladin's depressions in the first book were a result of his inability to protect those he cared about. In this one, they were due to an internal conflict over what is right. Because he couldn't decide which one was right, his bond was also weakened.

Oh, as for Wyndle, of COURSE the spren would want to be able to mold those they bond. They don't want to be killed.

Wow, very different take on the character of Syl and spren in general. There may be something to this, though for me, not with Syl.

When Kaladin discovered that Moash was on King guard duty, he SHOULD have reported the plot to Dalinar right there. In not doing so, he very actively did something against honor. 

Remember that Spren are made up of different levels of both Honor and Cultivation, so not all of them are as "discerning as honorspren" as Nohadon says in tWoK. As the bonds increase the Spren seem to remember more and more. Pattern seems like his memory is VERY impacted at the beginnings of Shallan being re-aware of him. 

Wyndle seems to be much more Cultivation spren, so the "molding" of Lift seems in line with that. Pattern's "lies" arent necessarily lies as we understand them, he has a problem communicating remember? He sees anything that is not strictly "TRUE" as a lie. So any metaphor/simile, etc are "lies" to him, even though they are vehicles of relating truth to the human mind. 

It seems that her values of right and wrong are derived from deep down what Kaladin believes to be right or wrong.

What Kaladin KNOWS to be right or wrong. Just like when Pattern and Shallan are talking about the nature of truth, you can derive from that scene that only the cognitive and physical realm are subject to variable truth, but the spiritual realm is not. I attribute moral values and the like to the spiritual realm ( journey before destination, the path is what matters, honor, all that stuff). The only definite truth I think is morality or "what's right and good".

Yeah that was one of the most annoying things for me. Syl has had access to thought and been with Kaladin for probably half a year and here comes Pattern who knows it all and even more so than Syl in some cases. He didn't even run away when he mentioned Odium. As far as we know, Syl can't even speak the name.

Yeah that was one of the most annoying things for me. Syl has had access to thought and been with Kaladin for probably half a year and here comes Pattern who knows it all and even more so than Syl in some cases. He didn't even run away when he mentioned Odium. As far as we know, Syl can't even speak the name.

To be fair, while Syl has been with Kaladin for a few months now Pattern has been with Shallan for more than 6 years! True he got rusty during the time she blocked her memories of him, but it doesn't necessarily put him back at the same starting place as the more recently arrived Syl.

All indications are that Pattern was in the physical realm for a while when Shallan was young. He regressed when she pushed him away but it's possible that his quick progression from when Shallan draws him on the ship is a consequence of him already having been bonded to her for a while years ago. His total time bonded is likely longer than Syl's.

Syl also came to the physical without help from other spren. Comments by Wyndle indicate that having help from others can make the transition easier and result in less memory loss.

All indications are that Pattern was in the physical realm for a while when Shallan was young. He regressed when she pushed him away but it's possible that his quick progression from when Shallan draws him on the ship is a consequence of him already having been bonded to her for a while years ago. His total time bonded is likely longer than Syl's.

Syl also came to the physical without help from other spren. Comments by Wyndle indicate that having help from others can make the transition easier and result in less memory loss.

Aaah I had forgot that. Still it's annoying.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 454748464 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Thanks for the replies everyone. :)
I have to say, I'm grateful to all of you. I'm very shy in general, and afraid of the internet in particular. In terms of forums, blog comments, public chat rooms, reddit, facebook, etc. - so basically anything that's not a private conversation with somebody I know on a personal level - this is literally my third post. I have been lurking without an account here for a while, and I think this is one of the most polite, reasonable, and tolerant places I've found online. This has encouraged me to share my interpretation, and your reaction more than lived up to my expectations.

@_Elena

First off, saying Syl is malevolent was meant as an extreme worst case scenario, and I don't quite go that far in what I actually believe. To elaborate on it a bit, if she was doing it deliberately, with full understanding of how she manipulates Kaladin, and for personal gain, then that would certainly be a hell of a lot more than just unnerving.
Second, I don't consider any of it to be inconsistent; I can find a framework where it fits perfectly. If there are tiny details that perhaps don't work 100% well with WoK, then it is my duty to try to make my 'Syl is scarier than Odium' post account for them. That's half the fun!
Third, I'm as sure as I can be, without knowing Mr. Sanderson personally, that this is not what he was going for, but thinking about characters and motivations is my favourite part of literature. Incidentally, I'm with you on Tyrion.

@Shardbearer

Sure, a spren can't choose to keep the bond intact, but what about the other way? When the bond weakens, does it have to do with the spren's 'opinion'? Can they somehow limit the use the Knight gets out of it if they disagree with their actions? They would probably want to be careful with this, because doing so causes them to die (you know what I mean), but can they still do it? If yes, then what if the bit about honourspren being more discerning is alluding to more than just the choice process? Maybe they are more discerning even after becoming bonded, and are more willing to enforce what they see as right even at great personal cost.

@Moogle

At this point I find Pattern to be the least disturbing, because of how open he is about everything. The idea that he is doing the least harm on a somewhat wider scale is appealing to me.

@Seloun

I was considering something very similar with the Recreance. What are the chances that an entire generation of Knights is corrupted, or less worthy than their predecessors, and then suddenly decides to break their bonds? Again, I find your idea of a "broken people farm run by the spren" appealing.

@Crysanja

Bonded spren are more like people than pets, and while in a pet stage Syl can have less of an agenda. I agree with this completely. However, what bothers me, is that in terms of her actions and words, she appears to be more of a person in WoK, and yet barely has any visible, specific goals. Then in WoR, I feel her 'humanity', for lack of a better word, diminishes (even before the bond weakens), but she now has an ulterior motive.

@The Count

I disagree almost entirely that her concern for Kaladin is gone, just that his conflicts are much more internal, human and complicated and she is only capable of limited understanding.

She basically tells Kaladin to 'Buck up' and 'get over it' because she does not understand the mental illness that Kaladin is experiencing.

I think it is a bit like apparent who can see their teenage child making bad decisions but feeling unable to adequately intervene without making the problem somehow worse.

This is what I'd say is my canonical take. Silly alternate theories aside, this is exactly how I'd describe what officially happens in the book.

Several of you mentioned the difference between the knowledge Pattern and Syl have. I have very little to add here, except to say that I agree with the explanation that the way they came to our realm, and the length of time they have been here is the cause.

Finally, to the main argument: Syl is Kaladin's conscience, or that is the thing that affects her most.

First, the idea that her own ability to judge what is right or wrong comes entirely (or even mostly) from Kaladin bothers me. I must say, there is no in world reason why this couldn't be the case - indeed, I can easily see that there is an implication to this effect. I dislike it purely as a reader. If this is true, that severely limits Syl as a character, and I simply think it's boring. Not a very objective or formally logical argument, but even so.

Second, that Kaladin's conscience is key to the bond. As a concept, I like this very much. This would allow individual Knights, even of the same order, to act differently - within reason - in specific situations, and retain their bond. However, either this is not what is in the book, or I have a wildly different opinion on what a conscience means.
The way I see it, Kaladin's internal conflict comes precisely from his conscience. All the time he can't decide what to do, all the time he spends effectively paralysed, he is dealing with his heart. You are right that not telling Dalinar about the conspiracy was wrong, and he did a good number of things I don't actually agree with, but the vast majority of what he 'did'... he actually did by doing nothing. He doesn't stop or hinder Moash, but he doesn't help him either. Until the very end, in terms of the plot to kill the king, he might as well not exist for all the impact his presence has. I find it difficult to explain better what I mean. I feel like I'm only repeating myself here: what happens in WoR is Kaladin having, and dealing with, his conscience, his heart.
If he decided without hesitation to kill the king because it is better for the country, did it, and slept well that night, he would be either a psychopath if he doesn't truly believe that this is for the greater good, or a zealot who believes the end justify the means.
If he decided, with hesitation, to kill king for the same reason, but felt bad about it, he would be acting against his conscience, and I could very much see that breaking the bond.
It is vital to understand that he doesn't do anything, and more importantly, he doesn't truly make a decision. He says he does, he even thinks he does, but he never follows it up by any action. His constant worry over it, the obvious attempts to rationalise it away, show that he is struggling with an actual decision. This is apparently enough to break to bond. I find this ridiculously scary. If this is not allowed, if he has to make decisions instantaneously, with no room for temporary uncertainty - that means that in the name of making him follow his heart, his heart is destroyed and he becomes a fanatical nutjob or a robot - depending on whether raw, unchecked-by-morality emotions or logic drives him in the end.

I'm not really sure that it's completely accurate to say that Kaladin doesn't truly make a decision. It appears that he does (but ends up regretting it basically the day after).

In particular, the 'breaking' appears to occur in this scene:

He helped Moash fit one of the pauldrons to his shoulder. “I had a lot of time to think, in there,” Kaladin said.

“I can imagine.”

“The time led me to a few decisions,” Kaladin said as the section of Plate locked into place. “One is that your friends are right.”

Moash turned to him sharply. “So . . .”

“So tell them I agree with their plan,” Kaladin said. “I’ll do what they want me to in order to help them . . . accomplish their task.”

The room grew strangely still.

Moash took him by the arm. “I told them you’d see.” He gestured to the Plate he wore. “This will help too, with what we must do. And once we’ve finished, I think a certain man you challenged might need the same treatment.”

“I only agree,” Kaladin said, “because it’s for the best. For you, Moash, this is about revenge— and don’t try to deny it. I really think it is what Alethkar needs. Maybe what the world needs.”

'The room grew strangely still' seems likely the point where he's actually breaking his oaths (Note that 'Bridges' occurs almost immediately after this scene). Syl doesn't seem to be completely gone yet, but maybe there's some kind of ontological intertia or something.

It's not a flashy or arguably particular significant action, but the action that Kaladin takes to break his oath is to tell Moash that he will do what the conspirators want him to do. Not just that, he gives Moash approval on the plan. Doing that is different than just equivocating with himself or even just making a decision internally, since it affects what Moash does (without this approval, it's unclear how the assassination attempt would have went down, or if it would have happened at the same time, or even at all with Moash's involvement).

Now there are some problems with this interpretation. The main one is that Syl appears to be losing her sentience even before this point (she acts somewhat strangely while Kaladin is in the cell) which seems to imply that there's at least some kind of continuum of oath-breaking (or whatever that causes the bond to break). So it's not completely clear that it does actually take an action to break the bond, or if just enough time thinking bad thoughts is sufficient. However at least in this case, I think there is a specific point where the bond actually breaks, or at least degrades in a discrete manner.

Second, that Kaladin's conscience is key to the bond. As a concept, I like this very much. This would allow individual Knights, even of the same order, to act differently - within reason - in specific situations, and retain their bond. However, either this is not what is in the book, or I have a wildly different opinion on what a conscience means.

The way I see it, Kaladin's internal conflict comes precisely from his conscience. 

Mm, I think I might see where you are going with this, but I still don't find any contradictions here.

Kal had a problem with his conscience, thus a problem with his bond appeared. Later on Kal refused to listen to his conscience and silenced it, which resulted in Syl's death/return to Shadesmar. That, and he broke his promise/second Ideal to protect by agreeing Elhokar to be assassinated. He conscientiously betrayed his oath, though Syl was still around for a while.

That being said I still do not understand how exactly Kaladin killed her when he was trying to protect Dalinar and instead fell into the chasms, so there's more to this. I've read speculations it was due to him inhaling stormlight, but I'm not convinced. It was a moment he was acting according to his ideals, so it seems reasonable that he'd be able to surgebind, but that was not the case.

Syl was kind of dying ever since Kaladin's first conversation with Moash about the king and in all honesty he violated his oaths by doing nothing more than getting a promise out of Moash to not try anything again. Still, this doesn't explain why in the moment on the bridge (the assassination attempt on Dalinar) when Kal was upholding his oaths the bond didn't fix itself and instead was the end of Syl. There are many unclear things to the nature of the bond for now.

These are excellent questions, IMO.

I'm not really sure that it's completely accurate to say that Kaladin doesn't truly make a decision. It appears that he does (but ends up regretting it basically the day after).
The main one is that Syl appears to be losing her sentience even before this point (she acts somewhat strangely while Kaladin is in the cell) which seems to imply that there's at least some kind of continuum of oath-breaking (or whatever that causes the bond to break). So it's not completely clear that it does actually take an action to break the bond, or if just enough time thinking bad thoughts is sufficient. However at least in this case, I think there is a specific point where the bond actually breaks, or at least degrades in a discrete manner.

The possibility I see is that he is not living his oaths even before he commits to working with Moash and Graves:

• Focusing on killing Amaram is not about life before death and journey before destination. Murdering Amaram would be achieving a result by bad means. Conspiring to allow the king to be killed is also bad means. So Kaladin is already failing the first oath and it weakens the bond.
  • Murdering Amaram for revenge and helping kill the king are also not protecting those who need it, so he is not living the second oath.

At this point Syl seems cognitively regressed and he can only draw stormlight when Syl is nearby. She is also nearby less as the following quote from chapter 68 shows.

He breathed in stormlight to reassure himself. Only it didn't come. He stood, dumbfounded, while soldiers marched across one of Dalinar's enormous mechanical bridges. He tried again. Nothing.
... Syl zipped down in the form of a ribbon of light. She swirled around him, still giggling.
The Stormlight returned to him.

Syl doesn't even seem to be consciously doing anything. The bond is just weaker and only works when she is very close.

Mm, I think I might see where you are going with this, but I still don't find any contradictions here.
Syl was kind of dying ever since Kaladin's first conversation with Moash about the king and in all honesty he violated his oaths by doing nothing more than getting a promise out of Moash to not try anything again. Still, this doesn't explain why in the moment on the bridge (the assassination attempt on Dalinar) when Kal was upholding his oaths the bond didn't fix itself and instead was the end of Syl. There are many unclear things to the nature of the bond for now.

I think what must kill the spren is deliberately acting to provide the bond's benefits to a knight that is not keeping the oaths. So Kaladin's actions at the moment are okay by the oaths, but Syl must not be near. She must sense his need and consciously extend benefits to him, even though she is not close.

Acting to benefit the renegade Knight must be what kills the spren.

There are problems with this theory: we don't know that Syl wasn't close and we have very little data to support it.

The possible implications are very interesting. If Syl could just disconnect rather than die unless she actively supported Kaladin, then what does that say about the Recreance? Those spren could die without being in sword form, as happens with Syl. Does sword form count as deliberately benefitting a forsworn knight? The spren must have known what was coming. The Radiants acted in a coordinated fashion and must have discussed it beforehand in front of their spren.

• Did the spren involved in the Recreance choose to die?
  • If they had not been in sword form, could they have just gone stupid, but not in screaming sword form?
Edited by hoser