Was Heleran a Surgebinder?

Rybal

But, something is nagging at my mind saying that he was given the honorblade, but I can't seem to find the passage. I've got my regular book on my right side, and my e-book on my left and still nothing haha. 

Taravangian says it at the end of TWoK:

“You have done your work well,” the king said, still not facing him. “Leaders dead, lives lost. Panic and chaos. Was this your destiny? Do you wonder? Given that monstrosity of a Shardblade by your people, cast out and absolved of any sin your masters might require of you?”

• 2 weeks later...

So... This may be a WILD guess.

But what if Heleran's a lightweaver like Shallan? 

What if he's actually Amaram?!

Now hear me out; What if all the time he was away he created a new persona...brightlord Amaram? He could make it look like Kaladin killed him, releasing his control of the sword. That way everyone believes he's dead, and so can take on the full-time job of being Amaram. That would explain why he was so insistent on taking the blade back. I wouldn't put it past a Davar man to kill people in cold blood like that. 

I know it's a stretch, but...I just have a feeling it could be so...

Any thoughts?

Edited by kingrah

...As to Nalan: what makes you think he doesn't have the whole picture? Do you know what caused the Recreance? It may very well be that the Recreance was caused by the fact that Radiants found out they brought the Desolations. I think Nalan knows a lot more than either of us, and while he might be a little 'twisted' in his devotion to the law, I am not confident that he's wrong in his conclusions that killing Surgebinders stops Desolations. He could be....

Almighty above, did I just find another person that doesn't think that Nale is corrputed-mass-murderer-sociopath? If it's so then today was a GOOD day! 

Almighty above, did I just find another person that doesn't think that Nale is corrputed-mass-murderer-sociopath? If it's so then today was a GOOD day!

I don't know whether Nalan is corrupted, but I do know that he has very good fashion sense, so I like him. Does that count?

(Also, all of his killings were lawful, so they can't be murders.)

You're right when it comes to one's perspective, but slaughter over a border dispute? I don't see any KR fighting against other humans using surgebinding for something as trivial as that. Unless there is more going on there that we don't understand, such as an alterior motive of Amaram's, which Heleran was trying to stop.

(Also, all of his killings were lawful, so they can't be murders.)

That is a very twisted way to justify killing someone lol. That's like killing anyone with a large IQ and ambition because they could potentially go for world domination.

You're right when it comes to one's perspective, but slaughter over a bjorder dispute? I don't see any KR fighting against other humans using surgebinding for something as trivial as that. Unless there is more going on there that we don't understand, such as an alterior motive of Amaram's, which Heleran was trying to stop.

Amaram is trying to bring back the Voidbringers, which the Skybreakers are trying to prevent. Mraize makes a comment that Helaran sought out the Skybreakers.

That is a very twisted way to justify killing someone lol. That's like killing anyone with a large IQ and ambition because they could potentially go for world domination.

I'm not trying to justify the killings, I'm just saying that Nalan has not murdered anyone as per the definition ("the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another"). He might be a corrupted psychopath (I'm not sure), but he's not a corrupted murdering psychopath.

Food for thought: is what Taravangian doing lawful? He can set the laws, because he's king. How does Nalan handle secret laws?

Edited by Moogle

You're right when it comes to one's perspective, but slaughter over a border dispute? I don't see any KR fighting against other humans using surgebinding for something as trivial as that. Unless there is more going on there that we don't understand, such as an alterior motive of Amaram's, which Heleran was trying to stop.

Does anyone else find this whole scene a little suspect?  I'm with you on questioning ulterior motives, Vasteel, but I'm questioning those of whoever gave that shardbearer his instructions.  He basically used an Assassin-in-White approach, attempt to kill your target, but first make a huge mess killing a bunch of other people in the area.  Sure, Szeth pulls it off, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a horribly ineffective way to go about an assassination.  If someone was really concerned about Amaram and had a full shardbearer at their disposal to get rid of him, is this really the method they would most likely use?  It also seems to me that the shardbearer may not have been the most skilled guy ever to have worn shardplate.  Almost makes me wonder if sending him was some form of expensive and elaborate feint... One way or another, whole thing seems a bit fishy to me.  

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 427161904 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

• Chaos locked this topic