Which Books Have Made You Cry?

I'm not sure I've full on cried while reading but I have shed a tear or two and felt terrible after these ones:

Shallan's flashbacks in WOR, don't need to say more but it did hit a little close to home for me because I was still trying to figure out what my moms deal was and the psychological abuse was similar to what I've experienced 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, because of all the characters we all grew up loving in the past 6 books dying

Nasuada's torture in the Eragon books shook me but also made me proud of her not giving in

I think the Percy Jackson series got me at one point or two

The Kingdom Keepers and the Peter Pan prequel stories from Ridley Pearson made me want to cry at some points and came close at some (like Disneyland being hit by an earthquake in the final book since imagining someplace that was practically my childhood ruined was hard to imagine without getting sad)

39 Clues books. Every time a character died, whether faked or real, it got to me. Then again, I was much younger when I read those books. But I remember outright bawling at a couple particular death scenes. Probably because of how real they felt to me, considering the primarily realistic fiction approach the books took.

33 minutes ago, Firerust said:

39 Clues books. Every time a character died, whether faked or real, it got to me. Then again, I was much younger when I read those books. But I remember outright bawling at a couple particular death scenes. Probably because of how real they felt to me, considering the primarily realistic fiction approach the books took.

Those books were great. It's been a while, so I don't specifically remember deaths, but I remember them being good.

I'm never fully cried, but I've gotten misty eyed.

Final Empire

Spoiler

Kelsier and his sacrifice

Hero of Ages

Spoiler

The ending. Duh

Warbreaker

Spoiler

Lightsong's sacrifice

Way of Kings

Spoiler

Tien. That hurt me.

Edited by Life&Death

I think I've at least teared up in every Sanderson book that I've read.:( the man is a god when it comes to emotions.

The Fires of Heaven (the docks. Nuff said)

Harry Potter and the half-blood prince (I have a soft spot for mentor characters)

The Return of the King (Poor Frodo) 

I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones that come to mind first)

Most memorable emotional moment for me?

When I read the last book in the Realm of the Elderlings collection, by Robin Hobb.

Major spoilers for the entire collection below, by the way.

Spoiler

The moment when Fitz gets left behind in the tunnel, trapped under a rock. As Bee gets taken away I just felt shattered. Not this way. Not for Fitz.

And it wasn't, of course. I think I started crying even harder when it came back to the PoV with Nighteyes being sassy. Happy tears though. And then the pack falls over and it's crushing. And the firebrick starts going and the Silver explodes and I'm just like

"Please Robin, I think he's had enough. Just let him go or let him live, stop making things worse."

The ending though... just so much pain. And so much sadness. But now they're all together again and why won't this dust get out of my eye already.

Storming dust...

I cried in Oathbringer when

Spoiler

Dalinar was about to become Odium's champion. Throughout the whole conversation they had, I was like "there's no way Dalinar would ever become evil." But as It continued, more and more doubt crept into my mind because it would such a cool and epic twist. Right before I read the part where Dalinar resisted, I put the book down, let out a few tears, and thought, "Evil Dalinar is gonna be so cool"

I just started rereading the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus series, and I will admit, with no shame, that these parts got me (spoilers for both series)... 

Spoiler

Bianca *sobs* 

Zoë *sobs harder* 

Nico’s turn to the darkness... he was so young and innocent... 

Daedalus’ death 

Beckendorf’s death 

Michael’s death — not so much because I loved Michael, but because I loved Will and I hated seeing him have to take on that responsibility and hardship

Silena’s death 

Ethan’s death 

LUKE’S DEATH *sobs uncontrollably and people look at me weirdly* 

Percy and Annabeth kiss under the lake (happy tears) 

We learn that Percy is missing — I knew that Percy was alive, I just couldn’t stand to see Annabeth all depressed 

When Percy and Annabeth fell into Tartarus 

BOB *sobs* 

DAMASEN *sobs* 

When Leo died (stupid troll Riordan. Messing with my feelings was totally unnecessary) 

@PercyJackson&Heroes of Olympus stuff.

Spoiler

Now that i think about it and reading @Ashspren for a young adult series. It did have alot of deaths that are heartwretching more than some of the actual fantasy series.

I think Bob and Damesan wins the trophy as the best tearjerker in PJO&HoO series for me. 

Luke. Just remembered one of the most compelling villains i've ever read.

I dont remember all, but some I do are:

Spoiler

Lightsong's sacrifice in WB

The War that Saved my Life.

When the pequenios mistakenly killed three humans in Speaker for the Dead.

A few scenes in Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series.

Dumbledore's death.

Bob and Damison from House of Hades/The Blood of Olympus.

Unbroken. Just... RAFO

Non-books

Spoiler

Undertale True Pacifist.

Infinity War spoiler

Spoiler

Gamora's death

Waluigi not getting into smash. (JK I dont really care)

RWBY, Ozpin and Pyrrah's deaths. (I know Ozpin is reincarnated as Oscar now, but not then)

Edited by Inklingspren

5 hours ago, Gray to said:

I cried in Oathbringer when

Hide contents

Dalinar was about to become Odium's champion. Throughout the whole conversation they had, I was like "there's no way Dalinar would ever become evil." But as It continued, more and more doubt crept into my mind because it would such a cool and epic twist. Right before I read the part where Dalinar resisted, I put the book down, let out a few tears, and thought, "Evil Dalinar is gonna be so cool"

If you haven't already, you should read this fanfic by @Overlord Jebus (Oathbringer spoilers):

Spoiler

Okay, I recently finished The Fault in Our Stars, and can I just say... 

Nope. I can’t. I can’t say anything because I’m too busy sobbing into my pillow. 

The part that made me saddest was... 

Spoiler

“You gave me an infinity within the numbered days, and for that I’m greatful.” —Hazel to Augustus, when Augustus was editing his own eulogies (only Gus... *tears stream down face*)

That aside, the book isn’t just sad. It’s funny, adorable, sweet, and overall amazing. It’s a short read (especially compared to Sanderson books), but John Green is honestly an amazing writer and there are so many great quotes that I remember and love. 

Overall, if you don’t read it, you’re missing out, in my opinion. I highly recommend it! 

I just finished a reread of N.K. Jemisin's Fifth Season today and I'm still in that emotional hole it left me in. I cried twice, thrice? I'm not sure anymore. It's just so beautiful and disturbing at the same time. The way the characters act and how the world and the people act. It's feels so real, so close to reality, although there are "mages" and it's a fantasy setting. But the characters are so real and the world is so cruel, just like it really is.

There are these scenes, that always touch me so deeply, that I have to put the book aside for a moment and collect myself.

Spoiler

When Alabaster dies and looks at Essun and for the first time adresses her as the three of them.
"My Damaya, my Syenite, my Essun."

When Syen kills her son Coru, because she doesn't want him to get captured.

When Nessun decides against her own believe, and follows Essuns lead, completely broken she starts trusting her mother again.

• Chaos locked this topic