Mistborn sequel to Elantris

Jeffo

kqrpnb
[Question unknown, most likely about an Elantris sequel]

Brandon Sanderson
Short answer is yes. We’ll see if I can pull it off. Original plans for my series was for a 36 book arc.
I thought that would intimidate readers. (; But the secret answer is this:
People ask for an Elantris sequel. There is one. It is called Mistborn.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/200/#e4407

*Bolded by me for emphasis*

I'm signed off work with tonsillitis so in my sickly stupor I've been reading through old WOB's (sad I know but I need something to do in between sweating and sleeping).

i came across the above from back in 2009 way before I was sucked into the Cosmere and all its glory.

question is: has this been discussed before?

Is it meant to be read literally as in the peoples from Sel have migrated across to Scadrial? Have the shards migrated? Am I having a fever meltdown? Is any of this real?

Ignore this, after rereading I think he's saying that all of the stories within the 36 (now revised to 40+?) book arc are technically sequels/prequels to each other.

stupid fever-addled brain

Don't worry about it, hope you feel better!

PS. Amusingly it's also working out the other way now, as Brandon has said he needs to write the Elantris sequels before he can do Mistborn Era 3.

Brandon Sanderson

Elantris sequels

The Emperor’s Soul is now two years old, so it is probably time to get back to Sel and do some more there. We should be releasing a trade paperback of Elantris in the next year or two, with revised (and new) maps and a better Ars Arcanum. (Read: an Ars Arcanum.)

The full sequels will need to be finished before I can do the contemporary (1980s tech) Mistborn novels because of behind-the-scenes Cosmere bits, so I will do my best to find a place to squeeze these in. At the very least, I will write them following the end of Stormlight 5. So, these are distant, but not too distant.

source

20 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Don't worry about it, hope you feel better!

PS. Amusingly it's also working out the other way now, as Brandon has said he needs to write the Elantris sequels before he can do Mistborn Era 3.

Ha! The perfect circle.

thank you, praying I make it out alive!

42 minutes ago, Wandering Investor said:

He was probably referring to Mistborn being published after Elantris (I don't know the exact order off the top of my head) and being in the same in world universe.

I could see that, considering that he was still pushing the "everything published has been released in chronological order" angle back then. (And then Wax/Wayne happened...)

Edited by The One Who Connects

4 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

I could see that, considering that he was still pushing the "everything published has been released in chronological order" angle back then. (And then Wax/Wayne happened...)

I'm pretty sure the Elantris sequels also play before MB Era 1...

9 hours ago, Leyrann said:

I'm pretty sure the Elantris sequels also play before MB Era 1...

They are. That's why I said "back then" and "published" since those didn't exist back then(and technically still don't). I'm pretty sure WW is the first time Brandon's Cosmere release order broke the forwards chronology.

(Come to think of it, he moved them further back now, so he retroactively broke the timeline when SA2 came out)

Edited by The One Who Connects

• 2 weeks later...

Sixth of the Dusk is the farthest forward of the Cosmere works, presumably taking place during Mistborn Era 4. So that's one case where the timeline weaves in and out. The overall Cosmere Timeline as I understand it is as follows:

White Sand

Elantris

Mistborn Era 1

Warbreaker 1

Warbreaker 2 (whenever he ends up writing it)

Stormlight Archive first pentology, Edgedancer

Mistborn Era 2

Stormlight Archive second pentology

Mistborn 3

Mistborn 4

Sixth of the Dusk

Shadows of Silence in the Forests of Hell and Emporer's Soul are mixed up somewhere in there but I didn't notice any clue to provide a place within the timeline. Oh, Dragonsteel is the very 1st but we won't see that book for another 20 years or so.

2 minutes ago, Bigmikey357 said:

Shadows of Silence in the Forests of Hell and Emporer's Soul are mixed up somewhere in there but I didn't notice any clue to provide a place within the timeline. Oh, Dragonsteel is the very 1st but we won't see that book for another 20 years or so.

Here's one from Brandon that plugs in your missing two. 

Questioner

Can you put the Cosmere books into [chronological] order?

Brandon Sanderson

Here is the order that I have publicly confirmed. There are obviously other books and stories fitting in there. For those, you’ll just need to RAFO.

• Elantris
  • The Emperor’s Soul
  • First Mistborn trilogy (The Final Empire)
  • Warbreaker
  • Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
  • The Stormlight Archive
  • Wax and Wayne Era Mistborn (Alloy of Law)
  • Sixth of the Dusk
  • Future Mistborn trilogy
source

• Chaos locked this topic