Hidden Things in Map of Roshar?

RShara

Not really in the map of Roshar but part of it, does anyone see the 4 shardblades in the illustration?(north south east and west)

and circle like things in between them (north-east north-west etc)

It remind me of some symbol I can't remember just now.

http://brandonsanderson.com/beta/wp-content/gallery/stormlight-2-maps-and-illustrations-2/WoR_MAP-SHATTEREDPLAIN_fmt.jpeg

Can Shallan really conclude the shape of the Shattered Plains from just the little bit she mapped? (leaving aside the journey to the center mapping afterwards)

Even in the off chance some earthquake or whatever shattered the plains Can it create the exact shapes of shardblades?

Edited by shinintendo

That's probably accurate. I don't have the hardcover WoK, so I can't compare unfortunately.

All the maps and illustrations from TWOK and WOR are on Brandons' website, Ive been quickly clicking back and forth between tabs with the maps that are shared between the two books rather frantically looking for any differences unfortunately that hasn't helped

Do the mountain ranges correspond to the Rocky Mountains here in Utah plus California/Nevada/Colorado?

The Misted Mtns could be the Sierra Nevadas, the ones that contain the Valley+Urithiru are the Uintahs/Wasatch range and the Unclaimed Hills are the ummmm whatever the Colorado plateau is :)

Has anyone commented on the fact that in the original map of Roshar, made in Gavilar's day, the compass rose is in the shape of the cymatic pattern of the fracturing of the shattered plain, not discovered, or rediscovered until Shallan's map of the shattered plains?

I'm a little late to the party. Excellent work by all, especially the projection lines and spherical transformation.

Looking at the Frostlands map, the coastline appears funny to me. The two coves south of the fort near Shallan's landfall are oddly similar, and the whole stretch of coast is made up of similarly sized inlets. Some of the lines describing these are continuous, while others fail to connect to their neighbors. In fact, many of the inlets/outcroppings look remarkably like the Thaylen letters that Harakeke decoded for us. Is it possible that there are words written into the map itself? 

Has anyone commented on the fact that in the original map of Roshar, made in Gavilar's day, the compass rose is in the shape of the cymatic pattern of the fracturing of the shattered plain, not discovered, or rediscovered until Shallan's map of the shattered plains?

I don't think there's a cymatic pattern for the Shattered Plains yet, but you are right, the compass rose mark that we've seen in so many places is veeerrrrrryy close to the map of the Shattered Plains that Shallan drew!  There aren't quite enough half circle thingies around the edges is the biggest difference I'm seeing.

I'm a little late to the party. Excellent work by all, especially the projection lines and spherical transformation.

Looking at the Frostlands map, the coastline appears funny to me. The two coves south of the fort near Shallan's landfall are oddly similar, and the whole stretch of coast is made up of similarly sized inlets. Some of the lines describing these are continuous, while others fail to connect to their neighbors. In fact, many of the inlets/outcroppings look remarkably like the Thaylen letters that Harakeke decoded for us. Is it possible that there are words written into the map itself?

You might be on to something here. It could just be a stylistic choice, making the coastline look so blocky. But it would be sneaky to hide writing there. Now we just need to summon our master gylph decoder for his take on the suspicious coastline.

I'm confused about the alignment of the map.

The black and white map offers a compass point looking normal--due north. This is odd because the climate apparent in the colored physical map does not align with the north/south alignment indicated by the compass.

The Frostlands are at the bottom-right corner. Isn't it strange that the lands directly west of the Frostlands--but on the same assumed latitude--are brown, instead of whitish gray? That they are more temperate, in spite of their same approximate distance from the assumed south pole?

But if we ignore the compass point and twist the map clockwise just slightly, something interesting happens. The Frostlands are appropriately at the bottom of the map, reflecting an accurate climate for their location. The kingdoms of Azir, Tukar, Marat, and others are pretty arid, fitting for an equatorial location. The kingdom of Shinovar is in a temperate zone somewhere beyond the equator, and the grayish-blue of Aimia and Iri are above that, indicating a return to a colder climate.

Maybe the Rosharan mapmakers have presupposed their coordinates incorrectly.

Or maybe I've gone loony. Either way, does that give us something worth thinking about? Are we assuming too much? Remember what Brandon pulled on Scadrial...

I mentioned that somewhere around page 2 or 3 of this thread, that glyph behind the R's is the same glyph that is around one of the compass rose. Its patterned only 3 times radially instead of the 8 we see around the compass rose. And the glyph itself seems to be made out of the white lines or negative space

EDIT: Added photos and additional comment : Ryshadium It wasnt really discussed when I mentioned it early on so thanks for bringing it up again !

post-9547-0-57892800-1395318682_thumb.pn

post-9547-0-40895000-1395318710_thumb.pn

Edited by PunSpren