What the Cuss (Swearing on Yolen and elsewhere)

Jasonioan

Question

Hey peeps. 

I'm working on this interactive cosmere fan fic thingy and I need swear words. 

We've got the classic Rust and Ruin, Storm off, and other cosmere gems but I need more. 

I was wondering if we could get a list of cosmere cussing in the comments (alliteration mmm), and I was wondering if you guys have any ideas what people from Yolen would curse by. Adonalsium? Just looking for ideas. In secret history Preservation seems to swear by the name Senna (whoever/whatever that is). anyway, comment your curses and other ideas down below. Thanks!

9 answers to this question

There is also 'Days (alight)' and 'Nights (afire)' from Emperor's Soul on Sel.

Edit: I'm not sure why, but my computer has started double-posting whatever I put in... hopefully it stops soon, I do not mean to double post on purpose.

Edited by 5ith Ideal

You've probably already noticed, but a cool feature of this site is the swearing filter. If you common swear words, they get turned into cosmere equivalents. 

If you have a colourful vocabulary, you could mine words that way. But to get you started, these spring to mind:

Lord Ruler, slontze, colors, calamity, sparks, storms, stormfather. 

In addition to the obvious storm-related curses on Roshar, the Vorin lands seem to like cursing by the Heralds, usually of the <Herald Name>'s <Body Part/Attribute> construction. Not sure where some of those arose, like 'Kelek's Breath'.

Shadows of Self has TenSoon mention that he's rather annoyed at being included in the Words of Founding because now, drunk people are cursing by his name, so you can probably extrapolate that to other survivors of Era 1 as well.

Given the expressions we see Nalthian worldhoppers use, they probably have some specific color-related curses but we don't see any, though we do see 'Colors!' used as a curse by itself and we also see Kalad('s Phantoms) as a curse in Hallandren specifically.

Yolen we don't know much about, but it wouldn't be surprising if theirs (or at least the human curses) revolve around fainlife since Brandon has mentioned that Yolen's standout features include 'some strange geography' and its two competing ecologies.

"Sparks" and "slontze" are from the non-Cosmere Reckoners series, not sure if those count, much as I like them.

Scadrial (not sorted by Era): Lord Ruler, Rust and Ruin, By the Forgotten Gods!, Harmony's bands

(I actually find myself saying By the Forgotten Gods! IRL, at least in my head. I mean, if you could use a swear invented by (a) God while he was mortal, why wouldn't you?)

Roshar: Damnation, storm you, Kelek's breath, Ash's eyes, (you're of the) Ten Fools, Damnation

Nalthis: Colors!, by the Iridescent Tones!, (Oh) Austre God of Colors

34 minutes ago, ljósmóður said:

But, to be serious, "Shadows" and "God Beyond" from Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. (I wonder if "God Beyond" might turn to be Yolen-related in some way?)

Brandon was asked this once and his response was, predictably, RAFO. I seem to recall he once stated that there are questions he doesn't intend to ever answer, leaving them for us to discuss (and for characters in-universe to debate) and the God Beyond was one of those things.

What Brandon has said about the God Beyond is that it's sort of like Gnostic beliefs and refers to the belief in a god beyond the Shards. Whether this got started as a reference to Adonalsium or to something beyond even that, we don't know and likely never will unless someone in Dragonsteel (thus predating the Shattering) swears by the God Beyond in a way that clearly distinguishes the two.

We've also seen Hoid mention or swear by the God Beyond on multiple occasions, Wayne mentions the belief as well and Shai's Unknown God is a reference to the same belief. So it's sort of a Cosmere-wide exclamation.

20 hours ago, Weltall said:

Brandon was asked this once and his response was, predictably, RAFO. I seem to recall he once stated that there are questions he doesn't intend to ever answer, leaving them for us to discuss (and for characters in-universe to debate) and the God Beyond was one of those things.

What Brandon has said about the God Beyond is that it's sort of like Gnostic beliefs and refers to the belief in a god beyond the Shards. Whether this got started as a reference to Adonalsium or to something beyond even that, we don't know and likely never will unless someone in Dragonsteel (thus predating the Shattering) swears by the God Beyond in a way that clearly distinguishes the two.

We've also seen Hoid mention or swear by the God Beyond on multiple occasions, Wayne mentions the belief as well and Shai's Unknown God is a reference to the same belief. So it's sort of a Cosmere-wide exclamation.

I knew that I had heard it elsewhere but couldn't remember, off hand, which other Cosmere books had it as an oath so thanks for clarifying that. I've just (like, just this week) read SSFH for the first time so it was fresh in my mind. It was the frequency of it as an expression which struck me there.

Spoilers for SSFH and some attendant theories:

Spoiler

Especially as it's used so frequently by Silence herself.I know there's speculation about whether humans on Threnody might be/ have been in the past Yolen migrants - although I don't know if there's any WoB about it (I couldn't see any in Arcanum) nor whether there's any traction in the fandom for this.

And thanks for the info about God Beyond and Gnosticism. I suppose we don't yet know whether Adonalsium is going to turn out to be a person or a force of creation as that might give us a clue to whether the God Beyond is something/someone different again - I tend to think that it is, but that's a hunch rather than anything quantifiable.

@Jasonioan I think we don't know enough about Yolen to speculate on what they would use. Adonalsium or God Beyond both seem plausible or maybe, even, "Dragonsteel"?

On 19/05/2018 at 5:36 AM, Weltall said:

In addition to the obvious storm-related curses on Roshar, the Vorin lands seem to like cursing by the Heralds, usually of the <Herald Name>'s <Body Part/Attribute> construction. Not sure where some of those arose, like 'Kelek's Breath'.

Shadows of Self has TenSoon mention that he's rather annoyed at being included in the Words of Founding because now, drunk people are cursing by his name, so you can probably extrapolate that to other survivors of Era 1 as well.

Given the expressions we see Nalthian worldhoppers use, they probably have some specific color-related curses but we don't see any, though we do see 'Colors!' used as a curse by itself and we also see Kalad('s Phantoms) as a curse in Hallandren specifically.

Yolen we don't know much about, but it wouldn't be surprising if theirs (or at least the human curses) revolve around fainlife since Brandon has mentioned that Yolen's standout features include 'some strange geography' and its two competing ecologies.

I'm waiting for the moment when someone in SA accidently crosses into JK territory and swears by Ishar's Y-fronts or Nale's saggy left testicle.

But, to be serious, "Shadows" and "God Beyond" from Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. (I wonder if "God Beyond" might turn to be Yolen-related in some way?)