[OB] Things in Oathbringer that are easy to overlook?

Jofwu

13 hours ago, Song said:

Shallan is doing an exercise with Ishnah where she has to close her eyes and remember the room. Gaz commented earlier about a cute Thaylen women.

Shallan says this: "She's not Thaylen, but she is wearing Thaylen dress with a deep violet blouse and Forrest-green skirt. I don't like the pairing, but she seems to. She is confident, used to playing with the attention of men. But I think she came here looking for someone because she's ignoring the soldiers and keeps glancing over her shoulder."

The clothes discription is too close to Tarah to be a coincidence. And it is also possible that she is looking for Kalladin as the whole of Urithiru must be talking about him.

Not too convinced. As you say, Urithiru would likely all be talking about Kaladin and the other Radiants, so if she was there looking for him, why would she be sitting waiting for someone in a dingy bar?

I'd like it to be Tarah, but I'm not convinced.

1 minute ago, Bort said:

Not too convinced. As you say, Urithiru would likely all be talking about Kaladin and the other Radiants, so if she was there looking for him, why would she be sitting waiting for someone in a dingy bar?

I think it is her, this is a very specific type of clothing and reference, and with Brandon, it's very unlikely to be a coincidence, at least to me...

Let's not forget that not all Lighteyes or Darkeyes can just march up to Dalinar's bodyguard and ask to see a Radiant as they're an old flame... I suspect she's either there looking for a contact in order to get closer to seeing Kaladin again.... Or she'll return to Kaladin's life seeking protection because she's in deep with the Rosharan equivalent of the mob, who she was meeting in the bar. o3o

4 minutes ago, Rawrbert said:

Let's not forget that not all Lighteyes or Darkeyes can just march up to Dalinar's bodyguard and ask to see a Radiant as they're an old flame... I suspect she's either there looking for a contact in order to get closer to seeing Kaladin again.... Or she'll return to Kaladin's life seeking protection because she's in deep with the Rosharan equivalent of the mob, who she was meeting in the bar. o3o

Why not? Bridge Four still socialize, not to mention that, by that point in the book, word had been spread that the bridgemen were recruiting. That would have made getting close enough pretty easy, and it's not like she would have had to approach while they were guarding Dalinar's rooms or something.

1 minute ago, Bort said:

Why not? Bridge Four still socialize, not to mention that, by that point in the book, word had been spread that the bridgemen were recruiting. That would have made getting close enough pretty easy, and it's not like she would have had to approach while they were guarding Dalinar's rooms or something.

That's a very good point I hadn't considered... Perhaps the stigma of being part of Sadeas' area of the tower? It could also be the sheer size of it meant she didn't have time to find him.... Either way I suspect it was an intentional cameo, but we'll have to wait and see

I don't think the bar was Sadeas' part of the tower. I kinda got the impression that the grand market halls were more of a communal area, like inthe warcamps, the main market was separate from the soldiers' camps.

1 hour ago, Rawrbert said:

I think it is her, this is a very specific type of clothing and reference, and with Brandon, it's very unlikely to be a coincidence, at least to me...

"Kaladin it's so good to see you, I always cherished our time together.  By the way MY NEW HUSBAND is in trouble and needs your help."

On 4/17/2018 at 6:50 AM, Bort said:

It's still jarring, since I don't think it makes sense now. - "Instead, he found only Jasnah Kholin, looking perfectly normal. A glow faded around her, different from the smoke of her Stormlight. Like geometric shapes outlining her." It doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it?

Remember that Adolin was rushing towards Jasnah because he knew there was a hole in the wall (or something else that meant a lot of enemies) and that she was going to be overrun with enemies, i.e. frantically trying to defend herself. Instead, Adolin turns the corner and Jasnah is just confidently handling everything being thrown at her. She seems nonplussed (normal) because Adolin thought she was going to need help and she doesn't.

Caveat: I think of nonplussed as normal / nonchalant, so the other interpretation never occurred to me.

3 hours ago, Bort said:

Don't mean to get too sidetracked by this particular theory, but... This was my thought as well. I think it's partly why I initially dismissed it. I think this is easier to explain away than I first expected though.

Kaladin's first name probably doesn't get passed around a whole lot, particularly among commoners. He's probably widely referred to as things like "Stormblessed", "the Radiant", or "the Windrunner." In Dalinar's army, many know him as "Captain Kaladin", but I doubt that first name was widely known among commoners within the first month of their arrival in Urithiru.

Without any new information, Tarah probably assumes that Kaladin is a soldier in Sadeas' army. No reason for her to think that the slave turned captain turned Radiant in Dalinar's army is Kaladin. Even if she had some hints about it, she probably would consider the idea as ridiculous--it's hard to believe a person you know is the one stories are being told about. We also don't know when she arrived exactly. According to my rough timeline, only 10 days passed between Shallan spotting her and Kaladin leaving for Thaylen City (then Kholinar). If her arrival was recent, it's very possible she just didn't hear enough details and put them all together in time.

2 hours ago, Govir said:

Remember that Adolin was rushing towards Jasnah because he knew there was a hole in the wall (or something else that meant a lot of enemies) and that she was going to be overrun with enemies, i.e. frantically trying to defend herself. Instead, Adolin turns the corner and Jasnah is just confidently handling everything being thrown at her. She seems nonplussed (normal) because Adolin thought she was going to need help and she doesn't.

Caveat: I think of nonplussed as normal / nonchalant, so the other interpretation never occurred to me.

Here in the UK, nonplussed means almost the exact opposite. If someone is described as looking nonplussed, then they look confused. That was what totally threw me, and just changing the meaning of that one word makes the end result completely different.

@Jofwu - That's something I didn't think of, although back when Kaladin knew Tarah, was he already being called Stormblessed by then?

59 minutes ago, Bort said:

Here in the UK, nonplussed means almost the exact opposite. If someone is described as looking nonplussed, then they look confused. That was what totally threw me, and just changing the meaning of that one word makes the end result completely different.

@Jofwu - That's something I didn't think of, although back when Kaladin knew Tarah, was he already being called Stormblessed by then?

That's the standard/original definition.  Nonplussed meaning the opposite, i.e. not surprised, totally normal, is a new definition that has popped up the last few years.  I don't get it either, since I've only ever heard it with the original definition.

1 hour ago, Bort said:

@JofwuThat's something I didn't think of, although back when Kaladin knew Tarah, was he already being called Stormblessed by then?

21 minutes ago, supersmith said:

I’m pretty sure he didn’t start getting called stormblessed until after he survived being hung out in the high storm. 

The use of "Stormblessed" is a bit of a mystery. We know from Kaladin's flashbacks (I think? Definitely TWoK chapter 1) that he was called Stormblessed before the Shattered Plains. On the Shattered Plains the name doesn't come up until he survived the storm. There's no indication that somebody knew who he was from before, so I think we have to conclude that it's just a nickname that he happens to have picked up in two disconnected places. Presumably the nickname isn't unique. Just a general name for someone perceived to be blessed by the storms, Jezerezeh, or something to that effect? But we've never seen it applied to anyone or anything else, so it's hard to be sure.

As for whether Tarah would know him by the name, that's a fair question. We don't know that he had the nickname while she was around, so perhaps she just doesn't know him by it. Also possible that (as explained above) it's not an unusual nickname, and thus she wouldn't leap to the conclusion that THIS Stormblessed is Kaladin.

4 hours ago, Jofwu said:

Don't mean to get too sidetracked by this particular theory, but... This was my thought as well. I think it's partly why I initially dismissed it. I think this is easier to explain away than I first expected though.

Kaladin's first name probably doesn't get passed around a whole lot, particularly among commoners. He's probably widely referred to as things like "Stormblessed", "the Radiant", or "the Windrunner." In Dalinar's army, many know him as "Captain Kaladin", but I doubt that first name was widely known among commoners within the first month of their arrival in Urithiru.

Without any new information, Tarah probably assumes that Kaladin is a soldier in Sadeas' army. No reason for her to think that the slave turned captain turned Radiant in Dalinar's army is Kaladin. Even if she had some hints about it, she probably would consider the idea as ridiculous--it's hard to believe a person you know is the one stories are being told about. We also don't know when she arrived exactly. According to my rough timeline, only 10 days passed between Shallan spotting her and Kaladin leaving for Thaylen City (then Kholinar). If her arrival was recent, it's very possible she just didn't hear enough details and put them all together in time.

You forgot the most important moniker: "Flying Bridgeman" :P

I do think Tarah would have known him as "Kaladin Stormblessed" though.  They were together during that period between Tien's death and Amaram's betrayal when Kaladin first got the Stormblessed nickname from fighting like a demon and throwing everything he had into protecting his squad.  Hearing that there was a new gossiped about soldier with the same nickname might have made Tarah curious enough to investigate.

11 hours ago, Bort said:

Remember she wrote him two letters which he never replied too (because her living not the dead comment hit too close to home). She might be nervous about seeing him, and bumping in to him might seem easier than approaching him, particularly now he is one of the most important people in Roshar. 

Though I hope there is more to her story too.  Love the idea that she is a member of a secret society (someone told the Ghostbloods about Shallans new recruit...) or a proto radiant. 

“Act with Honour and Honour will aid you”

The vision Dalinar has during WoK where he asks if he should trust Sadeas. I know that the vision was acting on a script and that part was non-interactive, HOWEVER.

When Dalinar does trust Sadeas and acts with honour, then gets betrayed at the Tower, it is Kaladin’s honour that aids him and by extension Honour via Syl. 

Mildly prophetic and 100% accurate.

I think its pretty nifty.

Spoiler

Nothing in here. I bumped the button and now seem unable to make it go away.

On 18/04/2018 at 0:50 AM, Song said:

Shallan is doing an exercise with Ishnah where she has to close her eyes and remember the room. Gaz commented earlier about a cute Thaylen women.

Shallan says this: "She's not Thaylen, but she is wearing Thaylen dress with a deep violet blouse and Forrest-green skirt. I don't like the pairing, but she seems to. She is confident, used to playing with the attention of men. But I think she came here looking for someone because she's ignoring the soldiers and keeps glancing over her shoulder."

The clothes discription is too close to Tarah to be a coincidence. And it is also possible that she is looking for Kalladin as the whole of Urithiru must be talking about him.

Thank you and @Jofwu for this. I am so onboard with this it's not even funny. You will definitely be getting a shoutout when I make my OB analysis video. 

I'm currently listening to the Oathbringer Audibook.... And just got to Rysyn's interlude after part 4, where she mentions that in the vault within a vault of the Gemstone Reserve, there's kept "more mundane items, such as letters, and an old knife."

I wonder if they have any significance, I can think of letters and a particular knife someone may want to keep safe...

Edited by Rawrbert

• Chaos locked this topic