[OB] Elhokar's present

Dawnshard

So here is an interesting WOB 

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

Was Hoid's Cryptic the same one that was meant for Elhokar?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes.

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

Is there anything more to the Cryptic than Pattern? Like Shallan's Pattern?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

There's more to every individual! But it is not a more powerful Cryptic or anything like that.

source

So Hoid took his spren? How did he capture it? 

Edited by Dawnshard

The cryptic lost it’s bond when Elhokar died. It was still stuck in the physical realm, Hoid rescued it from the ruins of the Kholinar palace and bonded it or started the process as indicated by him saying the First Ideal.

1 hour ago, Bort said:

That's one little Cryptic that really lucked out. Imagine following Elhokar thinking his secrets were good, then meeting a feast like Hoid.

Spren can't leave roshar though, right ? So we really sure hoid was bonding it ?

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Elhokar's Spren
17 minutes ago, IronBars said:

@Draigon ah ok thanks i thought they were bound to roshar as long as the shard was.

Brandon has been pretty cagey about exactly how it would work. He always says it's difficult for a Spren (or a splinter) to leave the planet in which its Shard is invested. But obviously difficult implies not impossible, and if there's any trick to it I bet Hoid would know. Also, in looking around the WOB database, I found this juicy little one:

Alex Hetu

If you went to Shadesmar on Scadrial would there be spren there?

Brandon Sanderson

"Spren" is a term for things on Roshar. So yes, there are a few, but they're from Roshar originally.

source

So it's not only possible, but that a few Spren (in the Roshar-specific sense) have found their way to Scadrial's cognitive realm!

11 minutes ago, ZenBossanova said:

What I want to know, is why Hoid went through all the trouble for that particular spren. I am sure he could have found a random spren more easily. 

Hoid doesn't always know why he has to be somewhere when he does he just gets drawn to it. I believe there is a WOB on this and when I find it I will edit it into this post. I don't think Hoid actively sought out the Cryptic but he also wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth. 

20 minutes ago, Rogueshar said:

Hoid doesn't always know why he has to be somewhere when he does he just gets drawn to it. I believe there is a WOB on this and when I find it I will edit it into this post. I don't think Hoid actively sought out the Cryptic but he also wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth. 

He literally says as much in the Epilogie, having concluded that for whatever reason that Cryptic is the reason he was drawn to be in the city. And he explains that he knows where he's supposed to be but not why during his earlier conversation with Shallan. Here's a WoB on the subject too, for future use.

8 minutes ago, Weltall said:

He literally says as much in the Epilogie, having concluded that for whatever reason that Cryptic is the reason he was drawn to be in the city. And he explains that he knows where he's supposed to be but not why during his earlier conversation with Shallan. Here's a WoB on the subject too, for future use.

Thanks for that. Too many WoB on Acranum about Hoid. :D 

• Chaos locked this topic