Why is Kaladin different from the other Radiants? (Spoilers)

Shards of Mist

I think Shallan had already reached at least the third oath (second unique one) before we even see anything of her since she used Pattern to kill her mother. I feel like the sprent can't become a shardblade until after the bond is extremely secure (so to speak). If you notice, Kaladin tried to use Shardblades in the past but couldn't and Syl did not try to become a blade or offer that to him. But once he stated the third oath, it was immediate. I theorize that spren can't transform into blades until after the third oath. I think it's possible the others become radiant when they speak their oaths but we haven't seen too much of it. The only other oath I can think of was Dalinar at the end of WoR.

Brandon said at a recent signing that the ideal needed to form a Shardblade varies between orders.  If I can find where it was said I will reference it. 

Also you can see this based on the difference in Shallan and Kaladin.  As far as we know Shallan got her blade after just the first oath.  She gained access to Soulcasting speaking her 1st truth (like her second oath), but she already could use her blade.

Edit: Link to signing with answer of shardblade and ideals. Its in the first post under the spoiler tag.

Questions for Omaha Signing, 3-13-2014 Edited by drakesparda

• Chaos locked this topic