[OB] Dawnshard Theory

TNTman20

Hail Sharders

I was recently rereading Way of Kings when I reached chapter 36 (pg 650) in the bit of text underneath the chapter title it says this:

"Taking the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal, he crawled up the steps crafted for Heralds, ten strides apiece, toward the grand temple above."

Noting that it says the Dawnshard could bind any creature voidish or mortal, could we not say that it could imprison an Unmade?

In Oathbringer, Dalinar takes the ruby known as Honor's Drop and uses it to imprison the Thrill. Could it be possible that the Dawnshards were perfectly it gems? Meant to bond foes of either side?

This is just a theory, and I'm unsure if this is what Brandon entails, but I find it rather interesting.

That's one of the theories, but there are a few problems with it. First is that gems cannot, as far as we know, bind anything other than spren. So you can't bind mortals with it. Second is that the Dawnshards are suggested to have be used in the cataclysm of Ashyn, and its unknown how a gemstone could do that.

51 minutes ago, TNTman20 said:

Hmmm...

I didn't think about that...

But we still don't know for sure?

We don't really know much of anything for sure about the Dawnshards. Pretty much all we know is the line you quoted and the one @Wandering Investor alluded to. The specific line is:

He raved, speaking of the Dawnshards, ancient weapons used to destroy the Tranquiline Halls.

The Tranquiline Halls being the previous human world of Ashyn. The reason I don't think that dawnshards are perfect gems are two reasons. First, a gem doesn't really seem like a weapon, maybe it could be used to power something else but to me that would make the thing its powering the weapon/Dawnshard. Second, we've already seen Dalinar use a perfect gem to bind a powerful spren. Dawnshards continue to be very mysterious, and Brandon has RAFO'd any and all questions about them. It would be kind of a letdown if the big mystery was actually something we've already seen and are familiar with.

Another interesting thing here is the mention of the grand temple above.

On 3/8/2018 at 9:55 AM, TNTman20 said:

"Taking the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal, he crawled up the steps crafted for Heralds, ten strides apiece, toward the grand temple above."

• Are we talking Urithiru as the temple?
  • Are these the steps (that supposedly give access to the city), and are they located below the corridor accessed from the gemstone pillar room?
  • Is the gemstone pillar room a temple?
  • Did 'he' use the Dawnshard to bind and capture the Sibling?
  • Was 'he' a very naughty boy?

Must read TWOK again!

I can’t help but think the word “Bond” in the passage is not referring to imprisonment. In Stormlight Archive the word “Bond” has always carried the connotation of a sort of symbiotic relationship between two souls. That’s enough for me to be fairly certain that the above passage means that a dawnshard is a weapon that would alow a person to Force a bond between any mortal who wields it and any voidspren regardless of any rules it may have.

Edited by BillLangdon

Its not bond that is used though, its bind.

I think it would work like the bindspren or how Dalinar and Kaladin can keep people from moving using their adhesion surge, effectively binding the person in question to whatever surface that they were present on.

The Dawnshards could bind mortals or voidish creatures. So I think that it might mean that it could trap them.

• Chaos locked this topic