Seattle signing: RENARIN WILL HAVE A BOOK!

JamHeretic

When asked if Renarin would ever have a viewpoint, Brandon told me that he will be "one of the ten characters".

YES!

I took a quick and dirty transcript of hte Q&A, which I will also be posting until we can get a clean version from the recording.

>One of the ten characters

I don't understand the significance of this statement, sorry. I'm assuming it obviously pertains to the ten major characters who "get their own book" although I wonder why Renarin is so special. We already have Dalinar getting a book (unless it's changed) so that's a second Kholin family member heightened to such importance.

I presume that "yes, he has a viewpoint" and "one of the ten characters" does indeed mean that he'll get his own book. As for his motivations? You'll have to ask Brandon. Let's not start another Renarin war over here.

has anybody told feather she should really know about this. Though she might be the one to start the war.

>One of the ten characters

I don't understand the significance of this statement, sorry. I'm assuming it obviously pertains to the ten major characters who "get their own book" although I wonder why Renarin is so special. We already have Dalinar getting a book (unless it's changed) so that's a second Kholin family member heightened to such importance.

There are ten stormlight archive books, and each features flashbacks from the perspective of a major viewpoint character. This confirms that Renarin will get flashbacks and be a viewpoint character. People who love him as such are happy.

Dalinar is one of Brandon's first two characters ever, Hoid included, so his family members are more important than most other characters.

I think Kythis is concerned about maybe overlap in the flashbacks - because we'll see both Dalinar's and Renarin's past. But I believe it will be fine - especially since Dalinar's flashbacks will happen in the first five-book arc, and Renarin's - in the second one.

I think Kythis is concerned about maybe overlap in the flashbacks - because we'll see both Dalinar's and Renarin's past. But I believe it will be fine - especially since Dalinar's flashbacks will happen in the first five-book arc, and Renarin's - in the second one.

Besides, the prologue of each book is the same night and events from a different perspective, so we already have an example of overlap without repetition as a device Brandon's employing in this series.

Yay!  :D

I bet we'll see some of what was going on in WoR from Renarin's perspective. Also this means we can probably expect to see other semi-minor characters from the first cycle become important in the second. So I'm calling that Lift will also have a flashback book.

Unless we learn something significant, I think we can expect to see him survive a while. He is minor (enough) that general audiences probably wouldn't be interested in reading his flashbacks, especially if he's not even still alive.

Exactly.

Okay, this is obvious.  If you see the PATTERN that Sanderson is using.

There are 10 orders of the Knights Radiant....there are going to be 10 books in the series...the first book covered Kaladin.  The second book focuses on Shallan....do you see the PATTERN?

In the last chapter we find out that Renarin is in fact a Radiant, a Truthseer.  Being a type of Radiant we haven't yet seen, it's kind of obvious that he will eventually get his own book.

Okay, this is obvious.  If you see the PATTERN that Sanderson is using.

There are 10 orders of the Knights Radiant....there are going to be 10 books in the series...the first book covered Kaladin.  The second book focuses on Shallan....do you see the PATTERN?

Except, unless you are trolling, it's far from obvious. Eshonai, for example, is going to have her own book, and she sure is not becoming a Radiant. One of the Heralds, likely Taln, is also getting a book, and I doubt he'll demote himself to a Radiant either.

Heh, yea, I am so unreasonably curious about Dalinar's wife. I can't think of any dead women mentioned in the book, so we probably haven't heard anything about her - which, in turn, suggests that she is not terribly important. But I still really want to know what's up with her.

Except, unless you are trolling, it's far from obvious. Eshonai, for example, is going to have her own book, and she sure is not becoming a Radiant. One of the Heralds, likely Taln, is also getting a book, and I doubt he'll demote himself to a Radiant either.

Where did you find out Eshonai will have her own book? Also couldn't Brandon have some characters share a book? For example Renarin and Eshonai? I don't see them being strong enough characters (so far) to carry their own books individually.

Heh, yea, I am so unreasonably curious about Dalinar's wife. I can't think of any dead women mentioned in the book, so we probably haven't heard anything about her - which, in turn, suggests that she is not terribly important. But I still really want to know what's up with her.

Do we know much about how and why Dalinar lost his memories of her? I remember something of it in the WOK.

When I - we, really - say that "X will get a book," it means that character X will be the flashback character of that book. Kaladin in The Way of Kings and Shallan in Words of Radiance.

Where did you find out Eshonai will have her own book? Also couldn't Brandon have some characters share a book? For example Renarin and Eshonai? I don't see them being strong enough characters (so far) to carry their own books individually.

Do we know much about how and why Dalinar lost his memories of her? I remember something of it in the WOK.

Brandon has said that book 3 would be Eshonai, 4 is Szeth, 3 is Szeth, 4 is Eshonai, and 5 is Dalinar. He has also said that just because a book is a particular individual's book does not mean that they survive until that point (using Dalinar as an example). (I got Eshonai and Szeth's books mixed up)

For Dalinar's memories, we know he went to the Nightwatcher, but we don't know whether the memory loss was his boon or his curse (the fact that it seems to be such an obvious curse makes me more certain that it was his boon).

Edited by Rybal

has anybody told feather she should really know about this. Though she might be the one to start the war.

I think the Tumblr crowd got this information independently at the Portland signing - but if not, I'm sure she'll find it out soon!

Whoops, yeah these were my friends who got this question, I think. I heard that night on skype from them about it! And then yelled loudly for about an hour. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah baaaaby. So, with his book being in the back half, I hope this means: A.) We get to see older Renarin in canon. B.) We get to see his POV for these early books possibly as flashbacks C.) MORE PEOPLE APPRECIATE HOW AMAZING RENARIN IS.

Just. Thank you, Brandon. Everything I ever wanted. The fact that it's going to take years and years to get it doesn't even bother me because I know it's going to be worth the wait.

Guest Monster Energy

Whoops, yeah these were my friends who got this question, I think. I heard that night on skype from them about it! And then yelled loudly for about an hour. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah baaaaby. So, with his book being in the back half, I hope this means: A.) We get to see older Renarin in canon. B.) We get to see his POV for these early books possibly as flashbacks C.) MORE PEOPLE APPRECIATE HOW AMAZING RENARIN IS.

Just. Thank you, Brandon. Everything I ever wanted. The fact that it's going to take years and years to get it doesn't even bother me because I know it's going to be worth the wait.

I half suspect your enthusiasm for Renarin convinced Brandon to give him his own book...