[OB] Ashyn isn't the Tranquiline Halls. Roshar is.

Overlord Jebus

Sorry

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

The Tranquiline Halls: are they real?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

They are—well they're a real place... They are actually the planet that's referenced [in Oathbringer]. But whether mythologically they're real or not that's more a debate for scholars.

source

The myth of the Tranquiline Halls has two parts:

1. We had to leave the last place we lived...

2. ...because of an invasion.

Actual human history fits 1 but not 2.

Actual Listener history fits 2 but not 1.

They're both applicable, but they're both inaccurate.

That said, while I appreciate the desire to highlight Vorinism's appropriation of Listener culture, I find the assertion that Roshar is the "real" TQH to be needless semantics.

With the interbreeding that Horneaters and Herdazians show, Moash's name, the Voidbringer terminology... I see where your going, and I agree that parts of the singer beliefs entered into Vorinism. 

I think "The Tranquiline Halls" is pretty much meaningless though. 

Edited by Calderis

Also I am hesitantly going to bring this up because I am sure it has been debated thoroughly elsewhere on the forum, but are we even sure Ashyn is the planet the humans destroyed before coming to Roshar? I mean from the discription in AU, information given in OB, etc. it seems like the obvious answer. But this is Brandon freaking Sanderson. Shouldn’t we at least be a tad skeptical of “the obvious answer?”

Edited by AC12

A friend of mine wanted me to ask: Was the cataclysm that rocked Ashyn and forced its inhabitants into the flying cities Investiture-based, and if it was was it Shardic in nature?

The same cataclysm that the-- did you finish [Oathbringer]?

Yes.

The same cataclysm that they were fleeing, that they caused, is the one that forced people into the skies...

source

1 hour ago, AC12 said:

Also I am hesitantly going to bring this up because I am sure it has been debated thoroughly elsewhere on the forum, but are we even sure Ashyn is the planet the humans destroyed before coming to Roshar? I mean from the discription in AU, information given in OB, etc. it seems like the obvious answer. But this is Brandon freaking Sanderson. Shouldn’t we at least be a tad skeptical of “the obvious answer?”

See the second post in this thread ;)

8 hours ago, digitalbusker said:

That said, while I appreciate the desire to highlight Vorinism's appropriation of Listener culture, I find the assertion that Roshar is the "real" TQH to be needless semantics.

Ignoring the fight to take back the Tranquiline Halls aspect of the mythology seems wrong to me. And while it may be semantics, I think it's an important distinction, in Vorin myth, Ashyn would be the Tranquiline Halls. In reality, it's Roshar.

3 hours ago, Calderis said:

I think "The Tranquiline Halls" is pretty much meaningless though. 

I'm with you there. I was simply using the Vorin name for it, the singers might not have a name for it at all and just called it Roshar.

9 hours ago, digitalbusker said:

Well, technically if you think about it, a large percentage of the Parsh were forced to leave Roshar and go to Braize. So from a certain point of view, interbreeding could have caused total appropriation of culture.

• 5 months later...

Reviving a dead thread.

According to the Stormfather the Dawnshards were used to destroy the Tranquiline Halls.

If my theory of the Dawnshards being the Bondsmith spren proves true. Then tales regarding the Dawnshards would likely be limited only to Roshar.

IMO:

The physical Tranquiline Halls are either located on Aimia or were located in Stormseat. Those are the two places that we know were 'destroyed' by something powerful.

10 hours ago, ScavellTane said:

Reviving a dead thread.

According to the Stormfather the Dawnshards were used to destroy the Tranquiline Halls.

If my theory of the Dawnshards being the Bondsmith spren proves true. Then tales regarding the Dawnshards would likely be limited only to Roshar.

IMO:

The physical Tranquiline Halls are either located on Aimia or were located in Stormseat. Those are the two places that we know were 'destroyed' by something powerful.

? The physical Tranquiline Halls were confirmed to be Ashyn.

1 hour ago, RShara said:

? The physical Tranquiline Halls were confirmed to be Ashyn.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

The Tranquiline Halls: are they real?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

They are—well they're a real place... They are actually the planet that's referenced [in Oathbringer]. But whether mythologically they're real or not that's more a debate for scholars.

In gonna be a chull and say Pending Review(?), so not quite confirmed. :P

Edited by ScavellTane

It doesn't make sense for pre-Recreance lore to retain knowledge of the Tranquiline Halls as Ashyn and not have any expedition to reclaim/visit it considering the KRs mastery of the surges. Of course it can be said that Odium could reasonably attack them outside of Roshar as we don't know that the Oathpact keeps Odium and the Fused in Braize or keeps them out of Roshar.

It make sense to me that the Tranquiline Halls is physically located in either Aimia or Stormseat. The Singers/Voidbringers drove the humans out of it and the humans believe that one day they would be able to reclaim it.

Bear in mind that we already have confirmation that Braize is known on Roshar to be another name for Damnation; Kaladin says so in Words of Radiance. It requires no great leap to assume that the Tranquiline Halls are likewise another planet, with the facts having been judiciously edited at some point in the past. I wouldn't put too much stock in the whole 'the Voidbringers drove us out' thing as evidence that the Halls must be somewhere on Roshar since we know that wasn't the real story.

Oh, and that 'Pending Review' thing? Go to the actual entry on Arcanum and you'll notice that it has a link to a recording where you can hear Brandon himself saying those words. So yes, it actually is confirmed. :P

I think there is something to the Vorin myth of the dead fighting to reclaim the Tranquiline Halls. Every other aspect of the basic Vorin mythos is true physical, actual history rather than theological metaphor. The Fused returning to Braize when they die and resurrecting back on Roshar is kind of similar, but certainly not as strong as the other parallels.

I wonder if the Aimians have an important historical role that closes this discontinuity. The important elements of the Rosharan system come in threes and maybe the Aimians and their third of the story is what's missing to line up the Vorin mythos with reality.

There are three important planets, three shards of Adonalsium, three worlds to the Vorin mythos, and three realms of existence. There are three different intelligent races but most of our theories focus on only two of them. Maybe, like humans, Aimians aren't native to Roshar. Maybe they originated on Braize. It seems that the Aimians were the most advanced race on Roshar, but now they're weak and fractured. Could they have undergone a longer period of technological/investiture-based discovery on Braize before they eventually moved to Roshar?

I don't have any good theories at this point to tie the Aimians into the story, but I think they're at the core of a lot of our unsolved mysteries.

Edited by LazarusLong

Now that you meantion it, there is another 3 in the books. The three moons. Specifically with the story that Wit tells. I, along with many others, assumed the three was a reference to the three Shards, but considering that the end of Wits story is the blueish Natans, and (without specific memory of why) I think that the Aimians have some connection to Natan, could that be the link to the story? Not sure how it connects, and I realize this theory is less than half baked, but at least it’s another 3 to cast into the mix

@Fire&Water the Natans blue skin comes from having Siah blood the same way that Horneaters and Herdazians have singer blood.

Chris Hansen

Are either the blue-skinned Natans or blue-veined Babatharnams human-Aimian hybrids?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

source

Finallity [PENDING REVIEW] (paraphrased)

We've seen a number of human/singer hybrids (Unkalaki and Herdazians) and even human/Aimian hybrids (Natans). How is such a thing possible biologically or is there some outside influence there?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW] (paraphrased)

He said that they (humans and parshendi/aimians) can interbreed because they were made by the same person, or rather that they were made with the same intent, that they were made that way on purpose. They don't have a common heritage or anything though.

source

• Chaos locked this topic