The most ridiculous spaceships in the cosmere

ghajan monk

It occurred to me some time ago that Awakening is the only magic system in the cosmere where piloting a giant mech is logical. Allow me to explain: Beeath works best when you put it in something human shaped. We have seen that cloth can be greatly strengthened. Stone and steel are very hard to Awaken but straw and other plant based materials are easy. Therefore if I wanted to create a tank powered by Breath I would make a human shaped object out of cloth, wood or other easily awakened materials, this would then be garishly painted to aid the Awakening process. 

Now I take the above concept and bring it into the future and imaging how a Nalthian spaceship would appear or function. Giant robots In Space.

I actually had a less ridiculous thought about awakened ships that I was going to post but this was too much fun. :D

We have seen the future and it is mecha. xD Actually, given that Brandon has already done that to an extent in non-cosmere works (Reckoners mentions power armor, Perfect State has giant robots, HARRE is a flat-out mecha-tastic story) I wouldn't be shocked if we see it here, later in the timeline. Offhand I can't think of any magic system we know of (aside from indirect applications like the Aviar) that couldn't potentially be turned towards mecha with enough creativity, aside from maybe Sand Mastery. But that's got other features that would be outstanding for a sci-fi story. And now I won't be satisfied until we see a giant robot lawman fight a giant robot chasmfiend at some point in Mistborn Era 4.

On the 'less ridiculous' side I'll bet that if you had the material to make a solar sail you could probably Awaken it with some creative command visualization to make it more effective at capturing photons. Now if only you could combine that with sand from Taldain to capture Autonomy's Investiture, just imagine the possibilities. Not sure about BioChroma-based FTL but there's so much we don't know about the magic.

I honestly am excited for era 4 of mistborn. I have a feeling allomancers, namely coinshots and lurchers, will be pilots of some sort of spacecraft, pushing or pulling to or from giant magnetic somethings, rods or orbs probably, in space. the Alivening thing could happen too. Wonder what will happen if the Scadrilians travel to another shardworld.

I wonder if it'll be simpler than that.  Get a bunch of Nicrosil mistings to gather enough investiture in one place to open a small perpendicularity, pop into the CR, use normal engines to get close to the destination, create another perp to pop back into the Physical, and motor to the destination.

8 hours ago, Prof said:

I honestly am excited for era 4 of mistborn. I have a feeling allomancers, namely coinshots and lurchers, will be pilots of some sort of spacecraft, pushing or pulling to or from giant magnetic somethings, rods or orbs probably, in space. the Alivening thing could happen too. Wonder what will happen if the Scadrilians travel to another shardworld.

Well there is already a pretty clear indication of how this type of travel would occur (spoilers for Bands of Mourning)

Spoiler

In Bands of Mourning, the Southern Scandrians already have flight through the use of Ettmetal / Harmonium.

We aren't 100% how it works yet; something to do with the metal recreating the effect of alomancy used near it, so if you use steel-pushing it will cause steel-pushing. But how they direct this using the cubes is unclear.

I imagine that this type of technology will be exactly how they achieve space travel however. The big technological leap is in designing craft capable of multiple exits and re-entries into a planet's atmosphere.

2 hours ago, RShara said:

I wonder if it'll be simpler than that.  Get a bunch of Nicrosil mistings to gather enough investiture in one place to open a small perpendicularity, pop into the CR, use normal engines to get close to the destination, create another perp to pop back into the Physical, and motor to the destination.

That's a really interesting idea. I don't know that a bunch of Nicrosil mistings could ever produce that amount of power though?

A perpendicularity is literally a hole / tunnel being forced through all 3 realms. It takes a tonne of investiture from a shard to create one, and they are beyond any other invested being we know of.

Oathbringer spoiler:

Spoiler

That's why people are so intrigued as to how Dalinar could create Honour's. He should not be able to do that! 

Brandon has described the Cosmere as a Dwarf Galaxy though, so maybe it isn't as extreme distances to travel between systems anyway.

On 1/11/2018 at 2:19 AM, Arkboy said:

I don't know that a bunch of Nicrosil mistings could ever produce that amount of power though?

Can't speak for RShara, but perhaps they meant Nicrosil Ferrings? Ooh, multiple compounders, so one could nicroburst the compounded burn of the other one, drawing out more power and speeding up the process immensely.

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

Can't speak for RShara, but perhaps they meant Nicrosil Ferrings? Ooh, multiple compounders, so one could nicroburst the compounded burn of the other one, drawing out more power and speeding up the process immensely.

Yeah that.  Sorry, long days.

On 1/11/2018 at 9:19 AM, Arkboy said:

That's a really interesting idea. I don't know that a bunch of Nicrosil mistings could ever produce that amount of power though?

A perpendicularity is literally a hole / tunnel being forced through all 3 realms. It takes a tonne of investiture from a shard to create one, and they are beyond any other invested being we know of.

Oathbringer spoiler:

Hide contents

That's why people are so intrigued as to how Dalinar could create Honour's. He should not be able to do that! 

Brandon has described the Cosmere as a Dwarf Galaxy though, so maybe it isn't as extreme distances to travel between systems anyway.

It depends, some types of magic are naturally adapt at it, such as the surge of Transportation, and I think you probably also have Aons that can do it. The main issue is that brute forcing it costs tons of Investure. Using magic designed for it would be a lot less expensive.

• Chaos locked this topic