[OB] Will Shallan and Adolin have a child?

TheDoomsday

I think I read somewhere that books 3 and 4 would have a 1 year gap between them. Many things could happen then, but I assume it will be mostly fighting, and probably a time for some Radiants to catch up on a few more oaths.

I had a shower thought earlier, and that was that now Adolin and Shallan are married, is it plausible to imagine that they will have a child in this time gap?

I think it could create quite a bit of plot threads for the two characters... What do you guys think?

I think that would be a terrible thing to happen given both of the character's readiness for that kind of responsibility. You are correct in that it would create quite a bit of plot, TOO MUCH plot that would consume the rest of the story. Taking care of a child is LOTS of work and TIME. Shallan needs to improve her mental health for the marriage to work let alone a child. If other people do most of the caregiving that lets them do exciting plot stuff but Adolin knows what it is like to have a parent who is away much of the time.

After thinking about it, I sincerely expect that this won't happen.

The closure of the triangle in OB was handled very poorly, and Shallan was crazy enough to stay away from relationships for a while, even Sanderson prefered to rush it and give an ending mildly enjoyable to Shadolin shippers. The year gap is very plot convenient to skip the pregnancy period or at least the majority of it, but it would the summit of sloppy writing to have Adolin and Shallan appear in the next book with a kid after the rushed disaster in OB's ending.

Imagine her, fractured as she is, with the responsability of having a child. She would implode lol.

11 minutes ago, Humming said:

Imagine her, fractured as she is, with the responsability of having a child. She would implode lol.

And think of child playing "Who is Mom today?" everyday. Unless, of course, having a kid suddenly fixes Shallan's mental issues - which I really wouldn't expect.

43 minutes ago, Humming said:

it would the summit of sloppy writing to have Adolin and Shallan appear in the next book with a kid after the rushed disaster in OB's ending.

This is the key, isn't it? Because I could totally imagine a series that ends book 3 with two characters marrying and begins book 4 a year later as they raise their first child. Just as you say, the rushed ending of OB means that to simply skip straight to baby would be even more jarring. If it does happen, I expect it to be as part of their relationship breaking down as they start to resent each other. Frankly, I expect that to happen anyway, it's just that a baby would also fit into that theme.

They've got some serious work to do, and they may not end up together at the end of book 5. I don't see introducing a baby during the skip unless it was a tool/plot point in their deteriorating marriage. It would be a source of conflict that's sorely needed between them.

It makes sense to hide a 9 month pregnancy in a one year gap in the story, I'm just less convinced it makes sense to have Shallan bear a child. 

That actually brings up another point: Adolin doesn't matter. He's not a main character, he's not going to get tons of screentime, and there doesn't seem to be much depth to his character. He's going to keep on keeping on as he is. What happens to Shallan matters. She's our main female lead (at least books 1-5, after which I suspect she'll make way for Lift and Jasnah) and her thoughts, actions, decisions, and consequences are what we're following in these books. 

Maybe that will be it...Adolin pushing for a child because he's a Highprince and needs an heir. Shallan unwilling to have a child so young, or terrified of being a mother herself given her trauma with her family. But because Shallan is the one who really matters, I think any pregnancy will be used to achieve a certain goal for her story.

Hopefully that means the reconciliation of her various personae, a topic I won't delve into here.

Shallan has enough arcs to resolve without adding generic child/parent scenes. 

To be sure, they can have children without ruining the series, but there needs to be some development first. Even a generic "how can we bring children into this world" arc would serve to prepare the way. 

I wonder how heavy Stormlight usage would affect pregnancy or the chance of getting pregnant.

Stormlight healing seems to work by restoring your body to your self-perception of a healthy state.  Recent injuries heal better than injuries from the past, but a strong belief can also impact the healing (Kaladin always has the scars because they're part of his identity, Lopen can regrow the arm because he 100% believes he should have 2 arms). 

So if Shallan doesn't wish or expect to become pregnant, does Stormlight function like a contraceptive for her?  Since "being pregnant" is not part of how she perceives her healthy self?

While it would be interesting, as we have yet to see any example of how pregnancy affects Investiture use re:spirit web (I remember in WoT that pregnancy affected use of Saidar), I really do not think this is the time to explore it.  I won't rehash the previous commentary about neither Adolin or Shallan being ready for having children.  I agree, I don't think either of them are there yet, but I hope they will be one day.

But asides that, there is the issue that both of them are on the front lines of this conflict.  Having a pregnancy, and following that, a dependent, is a bad plan.  But beyond that, how would the Investiture react.  Stormlight heals you based on your self image.  Shallan has three self images, if any one of them views the pregnancy as a risk, or a health issue, there is the potential that the stormlight may terminate the pregnancy prematurely to 'heal' Shallan.  If that does not happen, how would the presence of another being growing inside her affect her Connection to Pattern?  How would it affect her spirit web?  Would it interfere with her ability to access investiture?  Would the gestation period in a heavily invested person affect the child?  How would Shallan's Nahel Bond affect the child?

I don't think Brandon is ready to delve into those questions.  I don't think the timing makes sense for those questions to be asked between books.  Having that happen off screen between books would seem like a cop-out, and I don't think Brandon would take that route.  If he is going to address it, I see it being addressed head on, during the next book, in a planned parenthood style discussion between them, asking a lot of the questions I've mentioned above, that none of the data the characters currently have available, or have referenced addresses.  Or, it will be something that happens in between Arc 1 and Arc 2.  But again, likely on screen, maybe in a novella, or short story.

I don't see it happening in the gap.  I don't see it happening in book four.  I do see it being discussed in book four.  But then, so many things happened in book three that I didn't see coming that I have to ask myself - What do I know anyway?

18 hours ago, Humming said:

Adolin and Shallan appear in the next book with a kid after the rushed disaster in OB's ending.

Next book was supposed to be on Eshonai, iirc? If so, it probably will be a prequel by timelines. We'll see more of Dalinar and Gavilar, but less of Kaladin, Shallan and Adolin. 

Tbh, I'm not sure Eshonai deserves a separate book. A novella like Edgedancer should suffice imo. 

14 hours ago, Blazenella said:

No....

Just no....

Last we saw of Gavinor he was with Bridge 4, and if anyone is gonna take him it's gonna be Jasnah or Dalinar

Chapter 122, some page in there:

”...Gavinor can be named your heir, Adolin, but we must see you two married and the monarchy secured.”

Now while this doesn’t necessarily mean they’ve adopted him and Im probably reading too much into this, to me it seems like it.

Spoiler

I could be wrong though. Like always...

8 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Chapter 122, some page in there:

”...Gavinor can be named your heir, Adolin, but we must see you two married and the monarchy secured.”

Now while this doesn’t necessarily mean they’ve adopted him and Im probably reading too much into this, to me it seems like it.

Reveal hidden contents

I could be wrong though. Like always...

Adolin is not king, he is the Kholin highprince. He didn't want the crown, so Jasnah was crowned queen. It wouldn't make sense for the son of Elhokar, the late king, to become heir of the Kholin princedom.

Edited by SLNC

Just now, SLNC said:

Adolin is not king, he is the Kholin highprince. He didn't want the crown, so Jasnah was crowned queen.

True, but 'heir' is referencing 'Kholin highprince' heir, and to me it still seems like they've taken him as their own.

Just now, Majestic said:

True, but 'heir' is referencing 'Kholin highprince' heir, and to me it still seems like they've taken him as their own.

No. Gavinor is the next in line for the throne of Alethkar, but he is too young. So his aunt, Jasnah, is queen regent in the mean time.

Dalinar said your quoted sentence, when he was still sure Adolin would be crowned king. If that had happened, yes, Gavinor would have been his heir.

Just now, SLNC said:

No. Gavinor is the next in line for the throne of Alethkar, but he is too young. So his aunt, Jasnah, is queen regent in the mean time.

Dalinar said your quoted sentence, when he was still sure Adolin would be crowned king. If that had happened, yes, Gavinor would have been his heir.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for pointing that out though :)