Can Hoid hate?

Hahaplop

Question

After reading the first two books of the Stormlight archive and Mistborn secret history among other books I have been wondering if Hoid can actually hate something.  In chapter 45 of Words of radiance he tells Shallan  "You needn't fear me. I'm terribly ineffective at hurting people. I blame my upbringing." this suggests that he is a pacifist but in Mistborn secret history he actually fights Kelsier and beats him but apologizes afterward, saying he doesn't have the inclination to do real harm to him, this is despite Kelsier being the aggressor. this suggests that Hoid lacks a capacity to hate rather than being unable to kill. 

4 answers to this question

Brandon has explicitly stated outside of the books (and for that matter it's stated in the books through Rock) that Hoid is incapable of hurting people and it's an involuntary thing. His ability to 'hurt' Kelsier in Secret History has to do with the latter being a Cognitive Shadow and thus in some way outside the parameters whatever is affecting Hoid.

The mechanics of this are interesting. He gets nauseous just thinking about physically hurting people. 

A Budgie (paraphrased)

So, Hoid can't physically hurt someone, but does this ban extend to mental harm and harm through inaction?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No. Hoid can mentally hurt someone, or allow them to be hurt, but when considering physical trauma he gets nauseous, to the point he can be incapacitated

Source

Personally I think it was imposed on him when he refused to join the others in taking a Shard.