[OB] Voidbringers home planet

bdoble97

In case I miss something while reading oathbringer do the ancient Dawnchant or Dawbsingers say where the voidbringers home planet is. I always feel like I understand these books but then I come to these forums and now listen to shark chull on YouTube and feel like I know just the bare minimum  of this series even though I love this series in these characters . Could the  voidbringers  home planet be where the shards originated from or that happened much earlier due to the fact that the individual shards were already on roshar. I have been thinking that all the humans and all these different plants originated from the same planet before the shattering right. 

8 minutes ago, ArmbarBanker said:

Ashyn is the human original homeworld. It was destroyed by humans and many fled to Roshar

To clarify this; Ashyn is the home planet to the humans who went to Roshar and were named the Voidbringers. Yolen is the home planet of humans in general in the Cosmere. 

@bdoble97, It never directly says this in OB. It is hinted at throughout the series and Brandon confirmed it via WOB.

Relevent WOB:

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

A friend of mine wanted me to ask: Was the cataclysm that <rocked> Ashyn and forced its inhabitants into the flying cities Investiture-based, and if it was was it Shardic in nature?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

The same cataclysm that the-- did you finish [Oathbringer]?

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

The same cataclysm that they were fleeing, that they caused, is the one that forced people into the skies.

Edited by The Sovereign
Added WOB

32 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

To clarify this; Ashyn is the home planet to the humans who went to Roshar and were named the Voidbringers. Yolen is the home planet of humans in general in the Cosmere. 

@bdoble97, It never directly says this in OB. It is hinted at throughout the series and Brandon confirmed it via WOB.

Relevent WOB:

Thank you very much 

Roshar in general has many parallels with the sol system.

Roshar is earth. Temperate climate. There are obvious ecological differences, but generally it sits right at the ideal for human life.

Braize is Mars. Described as cold and desolate, and while exiting in the habitable zone, generally unsuitable for human haibitation.

Ashyn is Venus. Khriss describes Ashyn as the burning planet. Venus is the hottest planet in the sol system, hotter even than mercury despite its position within the habitable zone. It is believed that Venus may have been habitable at one time, but since then has experienced a runaway greenhouse effect that has resulted in gaseous content at the surface level so dense as to crush any human who tried to live there. Interestingly though, scientists belief that venus could potentially be colonised - in floating cities, held aloft basically because they would be bouyant on the denser atmosphere. Being further out from the intensity of the surface conditions in thinner gaseous content also partly mitigates the heat problem.

Which makes you wonder. How much did Brandon draw on the Sol system when designing the Rosharan system? The cataclysm that Ashyn faced, was it deliberate, or was it something akin to what we face on Earth now with climate change? In our case climate change is attributed to the effects of our technology. On Ashyn that could be attributed to the effects of surgebinding. In other words - an unintended side effect.

Edited by aemetha

17 minutes ago, aemetha said:

Roshar in general has many parallels with the sol system.

Roshar is earth. Temperate climate. There are obvious ecological differences, but generally it sits right at the ideal for human life.

Braize is Mars. Described as cold and desolate, and while exiting in the habitable zone, generally unsuitable for human haibitation.

Ashyn is Venus. Khriss describes Ashyn as the burning planet. Venus is the hottest planet in the sol system, hotter even than mercury despite its position within the habitable zone. It is believed that Venus may have been habitable at one time, but since then has experienced a runaway greenhouse effect that has resulted in gaseous content at the surface level so dense as to crush any human who tried to live there. Interestingly though, scientists belief that venus could potentially be colonised - in floating cities, held aloft basically because they would be bouyant on the denser atmosphere. Being further out from the intensity of the surface conditions in thinner gaseous content also partly mitigates the heat problem.

Which makes you wonder. How much did Brandon draw on the Sol system when designing the Rosharan system? The cataclysm that Ashyn faced, was it deliberate, or was it something akin to what we face on Earth now with climate change? In our case climate change is attributed to the effects of our technology. On Ashyn that could be attributed to the effects of surgebinding. In other words - an unintended side effect.

You sound very smart tbat was very interesting to read thank you

1 minute ago, RShara said:

Scadrial and it's system is supposed to be the closest parallel to Earth and Sol.

Scadrial is the closest parallel to Earth. The Scadrian system is nothing like the Sol system. The Scadrian system has no other planets within the habitable zone, while the Rosharan system has three planets in the habitable zone whose climates are described very similarly to Venus, Earth and Mars. To be clear though, I'm not claiming Roshar is any kind of exact approximation of Earth, nor a closer approximation to Earth than is Scadrial. Just comparative climates described, and the interesting coincidence that the civilisation on Ashyn is described living in a way suggested for colonising Venus.

3 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

In case I miss something while reading oathbringer do the ancient Dawnchant or Dawbsingers say where the voidbringers home planet is. I always feel like I understand these books but then I come to these forums and now listen to shark chull on YouTube and feel like I know just the bare minimum  of this series even though I love this series in these characters . Could the  voidbringers  home planet be where the shards originated from or that happened much earlier due to the fact that the individual shards were already on roshar. I have been thinking that all the humans and all these different plants originated from the same planet before the shattering right. 

3 hours ago, ArmbarBanker said:

Ashyn is the human original homeworld. It was destroyed by humans and many fled to Roshar

I swear I read in Oathbringer that the voidbringers(humans) were from Braize.

35 minutes ago, Cenanin said:

I swear I read in Oathbringer that the voidbringers(humans) were from Braize.

According Vorin theology, the Voidbringers they face are from Braize, which they know as Damnation. This is likely formed from the altered perception where the Singers became the Voidbringers, with the Fused coming from Braize after the Heralds release them.

In the actual original usage where the humans were called Voidbringers by the Dawnsingers, their world was Ashyn.

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Voidbringers home planet
22 minutes ago, thejopen27 said:

I think it's safe to assume that Odium played a role in whatever it was that caused the cataclysm on Ashyn. I don't think the humans managed it all on their own. 

I agree with you 100% he had to of been dping somthing behind the scean. 

Edited by bdoble97

• Chaos locked this topic