[OB] The Letters and First of the Sun

Carbonationspren

2 hours ago, Ookla the Metroid said:

Woah wait what? How do you know this?

I think it was mentioned on the discord by Peter and then moved onto the forums? I tried to find the source but I'm having trouble pinning it down. I am confident that I'm remembering correctly, but yesterday was one storming bad twenty four hour shift and I've gotten too little sleep to function as well as I normally would.

4 hours ago, Wandering Investor said:

Agreed, the entire island pantheon being of Autonomy seems likely. Just a matter of how autonomous they are. I find it unlikely Autonomy would actual splinters laying around. The letter shows a use of 'we', so the Autonomous personalities are likely still connected directly to the shard. Perhaps a hivemind democracy? That's just a theory though, not enough to confirm anything.

Edit: Read an earlier posted WoB. Seems wasteful, but if anyone will leave behind splinters Autonomy seems a likely candidate.

Maybe it's not wasteful, so much as a very different choice to make, that we haven't seen others do. If she is basically a hive-mind, that'd make her difficult to kill. If you've got many parts that make up a single whole, it doesn't matter so much if one or a few are destroyed. Maybe it's not the best way to fight off Odium in a direct confrontation, but could be a good way to survive, and perhaps oppose him in a more strategic way. 

2 hours ago, Tazren said:

Maybe it's not wasteful, so much as a very different choice to make, that we haven't seen others do. If she is basically a hive-mind, that'd make her difficult to kill. If you've got many parts that make up a single whole, it doesn't matter so much if one or a few are destroyed. Maybe it's not the best way to fight off Odium in a direct confrontation, but could be a good way to survive, and perhaps oppose him in a more strategic way. 

Not for shards. Even a slight difference can make a big difference over time, as shown by Preservation vs Ruin. I suspect her leaving splinters around is a compulsion to create (partly?)autonomous entities.

Also, it wouldn't be as wasteful as I thought since it does not require that Bavidin make powerful splinters, just splinters.

Edited by Wandering Investor

The audio and visual of this WoB is hilarious. Brandon just kinda throws it out there.

I know it was not universally loved but man I really liked Sixth of Dusk and this has me craving another story from there. Brandon said “big asterisk” so I think it only makes sense this was a splinter left behind. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 8:35 AM, ai83 said:

As, I see, that settles it then. Still I wonder what did they want dead larkin for. 

I have to wonder if their gemhearts might be a source of perfect gemstones.  Perfect gemhearts could hypothetically be what allows them to capture and use stormlight so much more efficiently than other creatures.

On 12/6/2017 at 6:04 PM, StormingTexan said:

The audio and visual of this WoB is hilarious. Brandon just kinda throws it out there.

I know it was not universally loved but man I really liked Sixth of Dusk and this has me craving another story from there. Brandon said “big asterisk” so I think it only makes sense this was a splinter left behind. 

The asterisk is that it's an avatar of Autonomy, rather than Autonomy herself. 

• Chaos locked this topic