Reveal: Shallan's Illusions

Scriptorian

A few moments ago in the writing class, Sanderson just revealed that in order for Shallan to produce an illusion of something (presumably with the illumination surge) she must first draw a picture of it. When the video of the lecture is put up, we can get the exact quote, but I just though I'd let y'all know. ;)

Edit: realized the topic name was spoilery.

Edited by Serendipity

Nice, I'd say "let's have a duel", but i don't know how to sword fight and i have to work tomorrow (Friday).

Edit: also, i don't have the book right next to me but did Jasnah or Shalan actually glow when they soulcast? i can understand the spheres glowing but she could hide them in here safehand. Couldn't she?

Second edit: was it mentioned that she glowed when she used her ability on the ship to see her garden?

Edited by Grayv

The sketches probably aren't required for things she knows intimately well, like her favorite place as a child. They're a way to help her focus the complexity of an illusion. At least that's the way I'd write it, as from what I can gather, drawing isn't something that helped her find Pattern, it's just a talent she has. Maybe other Lightweavers have to write out scenes or hum a song that reminds them of the concept.

Nice, I'd say "let's have a duel", but i don't know how to sword fight and i have to work tomorrow (Friday).

Edit: also, i don't have the book right next to me but did Jasnah or Shalan actually glow when they soulcast? i can understand the spheres glowing but she could hide them in here safehand. Couldn't she?

Second edit: was it mentioned that she glowed when she used her ability on the ship to see her garden?

I assume that Shallan drew in very little amounts of stormlight, enough that to the naked eye, especially during daytime, would be all but impossible to see. (Very hard to notice.) Especially since nobody noticed Kaladin, for example, glow until he started using tons of stormlight at once. When he used a little at once, it was barely noticeable. Especially when in daylight.

• Chaos locked this topic