DC vs. Marvel

Modal Seoul

DC v. Marvel  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer DC or Marvel?

• DC
    • Marvel

I feel like I enjoy Marvel more; I'm more entertained and the super powers/heroes in Marvel just seem.. cooler (this is a badly articulation of what I feel). 

But..! D.C. comics are the ones I am always remembering/thinking back on. For example, the John Ostrander run of "The Spectre" from the mid-90s is really, really, good.

..I gotta go with D.C.

1 hour ago, TheOoklaThatComesBefore said:

The TV shows from both are just awful. 

Okay, that's not something I've heard before. My things with the TV shows is that I cannot consistently follow them(except Netflix) but I find that some of them are amazing.

The Flash obviously is the best DC TV show, but I like Supergirl too. I haven't bothered with Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow, but I am super excited for Black Lightning.

Marvel makes pretty okay TV shows, but Daredevil and The Punisher are definitely the best of them. I've watched all the others, but they don't really stick to me.

1 hour ago, TheOoklaThatComesBefore said:

The TV shows from both are just awful. 

Marvel has better movies and comics. 

DC may have done some classics, but that also means they have not done much of note in about a couple decades. 

Quick thing- did you read Secret Empire? It was bad. I literally can't read marvel comics right now I get so frustrated. 

Meanwhile DC has Metal, Doomsday Clock, and the individual comics are (mostly) really good. 

7 hours ago, Captains Domon said:

Okay, that's not something I've heard before. My things with the TV shows is that I cannot consistently follow them(except Netflix) but I find that some of them are amazing.

The Flash obviously is the best DC TV show, but I like Supergirl too. I haven't bothered with Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow, but I am super excited for Black Lightning.

Marvel makes pretty okay TV shows, but Daredevil and The Punisher are definitely the best of them. I've watched all the others, but they don't really stick to me.

Oh, DC has the better TV shows, but better garbage is still garbage ;)

I can't get into the Netflix shows, and it seems like Agents of Shield and Inhumans aren't even trying! 

6 hours ago, Run Ookla, run! said:

Quick thing- did you read Secret Empire? It was bad. I literally can't read marvel comics right now I get so frustrated. 

Meanwhile DC has Metal, Doomsday Clock, and the individual comics are (mostly) really good. 

I loved Secret Empire. It was the best Marvel event since Infinity Gauntlet. And the third best event! 

And they had to throw it all away with this Legacy garbage. 

I don't much care for most of the DC comics. The writing is waaay too clunky. Metal is self important/indulgent try-way-too-hard.

And Doomsday Clock? Don't get me started on that! The first issue was just fantastically amazing and may turn out to be the best thing DC has done since Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run! (I'm being silly with that, but you get the idea) 

I actually think Vertigo might be better than DC right now, just with Wild Storm alone! 

Comics: (depends greatly on my mood at time of reading)
For heroes: Marvel.  They have a far more diverse range than DC.
For villains: DC.  The villains in the Marvel universe are mostly two dimensional while DC really delves into their stories.
Overall: DC because I love a good villain. EMqYlbxRo13K50x1H0zXr5OW3GmB5ywfDwHMg0UMXjlzYjq4blSgdE8-WG7YxvPpJYCSFHbEgjLI5pCvDDHiVJaBHrInPIIpp_Q92502FzTs9sVDzZVpuSdxiuXzsOFxM9dm7b9R

Movies:
Marvel easily wins.

TV:
DC but barely.  Marvetflix is closing the gap though.

I went with Marvel. I'm not a huge comics fan, so my experience is mostly limited to the shows and movies. I think Marvel is just consistently good and entertaining. D.C. Is hit or miss for me. I came out of Justice League thinking it was the most perfectly average superhero movie I had ever seen. 

Also, I am currently in love with the new Marvel Runaways show. Anyone else watching it?  

4 hours ago, Captains Domon said:

Oh, storms yes! I genuinely think it is better than the actual source material.

Yay! I'm not a comic reader, but I am farmiliar with the original story. It seems like they're going to have lots of different reasons for things, since the existence of Amy ruins the explanation from the comics. Also, Skrulls and mutants are both owned by FOX, so some character backgrounds will need to get changed. I'm also super curious about the mole storyline. With all the other changes, I can't imagine it being the same person. 

I'm not going to vote because I feel each does things better than the other. Cinematic Universe goes to Marvel, they changed the film industry landscape for ever. DC has more storied characters with great lore behind them, and the New 52 series is probably my favorite comic arc of all time(sorry lol). Now if we're talking all out fight wise, I'm taking Marvel. Jean Grey, Franklin Richards, X-Man(the mutant, not the group) and Hope Summers are essentially literal gods. Then there is all the other stacked psychic mutants that are still Omega level. On top of that you got Doctor Strange, Adam Warlock, Vision, etc. I just don't think overall DC can compete. 

1 hour ago, Captains Domon said:

Superman, Martian Manhunter, and Doctor Manhattan alone could defeat all of the superheroes you named off.

There is no way they're taking on Franklin Richards or Hope Summers, or Jean Grey. Franklin is only 8 and is able to manipulate matter in order to create a mini-universe. He also kill billions of people with a thought. In the comics it's referenced that even though he is still really young, he's roughly on the same level as the Celestials. Also there's the fact that he stopped a punch from the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet with just his mind. The scary part is that he hasn't even reached his potential or fully mastered his powers. There is the fact that Franklin put barriers in his brain and he re-versed his age by himself so that he can have to time to mature and get a better handle on his full power. Lastly, he subconsciously teleport's his parents to another dimension cus he's having a nightmare

Same concept goes with Hope Summers. She literally has a piece of the force that kick started creation inside of her acting as a nuclear reactor, powering her up. Hope, at a young age, willed the X-Gene into non-existence then just as easily, she restored it. 

When Jean Grey tames and uses the Phoenix Force, she is almost impossible to stop. She can shift reality with her thoughts, she can manipulate matter, and she at one point had so much power and had so much control over it that she almost beat the Tribunal. Also, her mind is the literal Nexus of all dimensions and realities. 

I'll give to ya that DC would win in a straight up fight with no psychic powers. Marvel has only like two people that might have a small chance at winning a fight like against Superman. But DC would not win in an all out fight. Only counting superheros, DC doesn't have any characters that can beat Franklin, Hope and Jean. The only shot they got is if it's in the God Arc where the DC hero's become gods. But I doubt it, Franklin has killed like 3 gods. Any three could just blink anyone out of existence if they were at full power. The best bet for DC would be Mr. Manhattan, but that's still a long shot cause Franklin would just teleport him to another dimension where he doesn't have powers. 

Franklin Richards is ridiculous, but he is also a child. Let's not forget he didn't even try to stop God Emperor Doom who had the power of the Molecule Man behind him. 

The Molecule Man is basically Dr Manhattan, so I think that a grown  Dr Manhattan could easily take a child Franklin Richards. 

Really, setting aside the Infinity Gauntlet, the Molecule Man and Beyonder are potentially the only ones that could stand against Dr Manhattan.

2 hours ago, TheOoklaThatComesBefore said:

Franklin Richards is ridiculous, but he is also a child. Let's not forget he didn't even try to stop God Emperor Doom who had the power of the Molecule Man behind him. 

The Molecule Man is basically Dr Manhattan, so I think that a grown  Dr Manhattan could easily take a child Franklin Richards. 

Really, setting aside the Infinity Gauntlet, the Molecule Man and Beyonder are potentially the only ones that could stand against Dr Manhattan.

PROMOTE THIS MAN

• 2 weeks later...

Marvel is better.

DC a has few good characters: Superman (though he's overpowered), Batman, Wonder Woman... basically the members of the JLA. On the other hand, Marvel hundreds of good superheroes: The Avengers, the X-Men, The Fantastic Four, the Inhumans, Alpha Flight, Guardians of the Galaxy... and that's just the teams. The work of Jack Kirby and Stan Lee has given Marvel a lot to draw on. 

I also like how Marvel labels its different versions of Earth. Sometimes it gets confusing with all the character variants/ pocket realities out there. 

My only complaint is that I'd really like to know what's going on with Cyclops right now (in the comics).

Spoiler

Did he kill Professor X or not?!? And what's up with his laser? It's so frustrating. <_<