What are Focuses?

Fakeout

Question

13 answers to this question

A focus a part of the magic. It is linked to the planet, like the magic system's themselves. It is the part of the magic that shapes the effects produced. 

We have a couple of them confirmed. 

On Nalthis it is commands. (the intent given to the object) 

On Sel, it is Forms (written language in most cases) 

On Scadrial, Metal. (the structure of the metal determines the power produced/stored/stolen) 

On every world, there is a core function of the magic that will be shared across the board by all magic systems. 

14 hours ago, Calderis said:

A focus a part of the magic. It is linked to the planet, like the magic system's themselves. It is the part of the magic that shapes the effects produced. 

On Scadrial, Metal. (the structure of the metal determines the power produced/stored/stolen) 

On every world, there is a core function of the magic that will be shared across the board by all magic systems. 

Would we say that the focus on Roshar is a spren (specifically a splinter-spren of one of the three Shards)?

20 hours ago, Calderis said:

Oh I had thought that the focus in Awakening was the color. What is the color for then, since the Breath would be the fuel right? You invest it into the object with a Command. 

1 hour ago, Fakeout said:

Oh I had thought that the focus in Awakening was the color. What is the color for then, since the Breath would be the fuel right? You invest it into the object with a Command. 

That's a really good question that as far as I know, we don't have an answer for. 

The investiture itself is actually what animates the objects. The color itself may be a fuel source. The investiture isn't consumed. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a concrete answer to provide. 

28 minutes ago, Calderis said:

That's a really good question that as far as I know, we don't have an answer for. 

The investiture itself is actually what animates the objects. The color itself may be a fuel source. The investiture isn't consumed. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a concrete answer to provide. 

that is actually a good point, the breath isn't consumed so perhaps the color is the sacrifice necessary. The only investiture system I can think of that doesn't seem to consume any fuel is AonDor magics like Forgery. 

9 minutes ago, Fakeout said:

that is actually a good point, the breath isn't consumed so perhaps the color is the sacrifice necessary. The only investiture system I can think of that doesn't seem to consume any fuel is AonDor magics like Forgery. 

The Dor is trapped in the Cognitive Realm. The Stamos, Aons, bone runes, all of it are actually different expressions of a single magic system, and they are fed investiture directly by the Dor itself 

The light shining through an Aon is the investiture. 

Sel is weird. 

23 minutes ago, Calderis said:

The Dor is trapped in the Cognitive Realm. The Stamos, Aons, bone runes, all of it are actually different expressions of a single magic system, and they are fed investiture directly by the Dor itself 

The light shining through an Aon is the investiture. 

Sel is weird. 

Yeah I did understand the oddities of magic on Sel, I meant that like in Forgery you can unstamp and restamp things on the fly, once the stamp is made.

10 minutes ago, Farnsworth said:

A great thread on focus can be found here

I'll check that out, thank you.

@Hiadin Haloun seeing as this is the board we should have been on to begin with...

The Honorblades are not spren. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/2/#e174

Questioner

Speaking of the Stormfather, would the Nightwatcher and the giant water spren be on the same level of spren as the Stormfather?

Brandon Sanderson

...The Nightwatcher, yes. Um... There are, I would say, a level below the Stormfather and the Nightwatcher who are also much-- a much bigger deal than something like one of the sapient spren, and that's what Cusicesh is.

Questioner

So the Nightwatcher is a spren you'd say?

Brandon Sanderson

The Nightwatcher-- I mean, they call the Nightwatcher a spren. Everyone in the books thinks the Nightwatcher is a spren. That's what they would call-- that's what they would call, if they knew what Honor was, they would call Honor a spren. A spren is Investiture that is alive.

Bystander

Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

So they would call Nightblood a spren. They would call-- That's the word for what all of these things are. They would probably've called Adonalsium a spren…

What would Hoid call one of those?

Brandon Sanderson

What would Hoid call the Nightwatcher? *laughter* What would Hoid call one of what?

Yeah what would Hoid call the Nightwatcher?

Brandon Sanderson

Um… *long pause/laughter*

If Hoid were to use a non-proper noun?

Brandon Sanderson

Unpleasant names. *laughter*

Spren are living investiture. The Honorblades are not living objects. 

As for Soulcaster fabrials, they do not need special gemstones with trapped spren. They only need a gem with Stormlight. Special measures need to be taken to trap a spren, and there is never an implication in book that the gems required for Soulcasters need anything other than an infused gemstone. 

The knights, the Stormfather said in his head, broke their oaths. They abandoned everything they’d sworn, and in so doing killed their spren. Other Blades are the corpses of those spren, which is why they scream at your touch. This weapon, instead, was made directly from Honor’s soul, then given to the Heralds. It is also the mark of an oath, but a different type—and does not have the mind to scream on its own.   OB CH 16

you are correct in one sense i suppose:  The Honor blades were made directly from the soul of Honor.  They are made directly from Honors soul.  I see this as a spren, a very large spren, taking a piece of themselves and making something else out of it.  As for the soulcasters, as I understand it stormlight does not just appear in gemstones.  it is carried by the spren that get trapped in gemstones.  there are multiple instances where someone is looking at a gemstone and instead of seeing a constant light, they see things moving inside of it.  in the fabrials they see the specific spren that is being used, like a flame spren in a heat fabrial.  While at other times, like in Hearthstone when he looks into the diamond broams he sees the movement, he sees something inside the gemstones.  the light is carried by the spren into the gemstone and trapped there.  the spren eventually escape because the gemstone is not perfectly cut, and this is why the stormlight runs out.

On 11/25/2017 at 7:31 AM, Hiadin Haloun said:

The bond is what allows someone to access the investiture, but the spren is what creates the bond.  This is both for humans and singers.  The spren make the bridge between CR and PR.

Gemstones trap Stormlight. There's no need of spren to accomplish that. The movement is the stormlight itself. There is more involved in trapping spren. 

And in the case of the Nahel bond, the Spren do not create the bond alone. It is a merger. It is a two way street. The human gains surgebinding, and the Spren gains sapience in the physical realm. They both gain things from the bond. If the Spren were the source, they should be unaffected. 

The Honorblades were created by Honor, yes. They were an item that was forged by a chunk of living investiture, a.k.a. Spren, but they are not living themselves. They do however firm a bond with the user by design. Furthermore, Honor the "spren" in this scenario is shattered, which is why the blades aren't powered directly by the Shard anymore as they used to be, yet they still grant the ability. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/117/#e1572

Steeldancer

The Heralds, back before Honor died, were they directly powered by Honor?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. You’ll find out more about that, but the Shardblades [pretty sure he means Honorblades here] were pieces of Honor’s soul that he gave them and direct access to his essence.

Steeldancer

Like Vin and Elend?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, a little like that. That’s why Honorblades don’t work like Shardblades do, like Radiants do.

Steeldancer

The second part of the question is, what would happen if they were directly powered by Honor and they were holding Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO