[OB] Speculations on the title of book four.

Turnblade Jade

On 11/19/2017 at 11:50 PM, Dryone_2 said:

Szeth, and iirc the planned title for book 3 was "Stones Unhallowed" 

Also see chapter 118 Szeth pov:

Yes, I caught that reference too!

Edited by chx

That depends, Szeth will have to go to Shinovar. That's the whole point of having flashbacks. That's why we saw so little from Szeth in this book and only at the end. 

I think Brandon wanted to show us Szeth and then let him swear the 3rd Ideal to Dalinar (meaning we saw his flashbacks instead of Dalinar), but then decided against it. So it all depends on whether Dalinar wants his bodyguard, and a trainer in all surges OR wants the oathgate in Shinovar unlocked.

At the same time, Venli needs to break from Odium and join Dalinar. 

On 11/20/2017 at 2:49 PM, StormingTexan said:

Well dang I'm kinda bummed was hoping for Szeth's book next.

The silver lining is that (if I'm remembering correctly), all of Szeth's flashback material has already been written so maybe that'll shorten the time between books four and five a tiny bit.

Do we believe that Eshonai will have a book of her own, or was that a bluff so people wouldn't guess about Venli? Venli was the biggest and most rewarding surprise of the book for me, and a book devoted to her would be worthwhile in my opinion. I mean, she is basically a walking book preaching about the history of her people. Her story is the most likely one to be recorded in-world, and what she chooses to say is massively important for the new religion that is forming with the Singers.

If Venli had bonded a Listener Spren, then I would believe Eshonai is returning, but Venli seems to be the character to care about now. And Venli booting her Radiant Spren for her sister spren would be upsetting. 

Odium believes Eshonai to be a weakness, so he likely won't allow her into a Parshman, though I suppose this could happen. I am way more in vested in Venli now, though a POV of Eshonai on Braize would be interesting as hell (get it?)

Edited by teknopathetic

• 1 year later...

Guys, for those of you wondering about flashbacks, here is something I found on the Coppermind

The Stormlight Archive is an ongoing epic fantasy series by Brandon Sanderson. The series is estimated to require ten books to complete.[1] The Stormlight Archive is a Cosmere story set on the world of Roshar.

The order of the books is as follows[2]:

1. The Way of Kings - Kaladin's flashbacks
  2. Words of Radiance - Shallan's flashbacks
  3. Oathbringer - Dalinar's flashbacks
  4. Stormlight Archive 4 - Eshonai's flashbacks[3]
  5. Stormlight Archive 5 - Szeth's flashbacks[3]
  6. Stormlight Archive 6 - Lift's flashbacks[4]
  7. Stormlight Archive 7 - Renarin's flashbacks[4]
  8. Stormlight Archive 8 - Shalash's flashbacks[4]
  9. Stormlight Archive 9 - Taln's flashbacks[4]
  10. Stormlight Archive 10 - Jasnah's flashbacks

Yep. It's obviously subject to change right up until he writes them, but we got that order from this WoB. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Could you tell me whose books are the next few Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes. Eshonai, book four. (Even though, you know...) Szeth is book five. Six is Lift. Seven is Renarin. Eight is Ash. Nine is Taln. Ten is Jasnah.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

Edit: and as Eshonai should have already proven... 

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Me making a book about someone is not a promise they'll live until that book. So the fact that Jasnah gets book ten does not mean necessarily mean Jasnah survives until book ten.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

Edited by Calderis

• Chaos locked this topic