Strongest Compounders

Quickbronze

11 minutes ago, Sazedezas said:

Actually, the fact that F Brass stores bodyheat specifically means the most you could do is incinerate yourself. As cool as that would look (blip) it would not be a very effective tactic.

Not really. It is body heat... But it also allows you to survive the effects it produces, just as an iron ferring tapping tons of weight doesn't crush themselves. 

You should be able to make yourself hot enough to cause severe burns with a touch... And at the same time your going to feel like you're encased in ice relative to the world around you. 

And when you stop tapping, your metalminds aren't suddenly going to have shed that heat, so your going to have to deal with similar burns to what you just caused. 

It's not a great plan, but it would be capable of messing people up, yourself included. 

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Not really. It is body heat... But it also allows you to survive the effects it produces, just as an iron ferring tapping tons of weight doesn't crush themselves. 

You should be able to make yourself hot enough to cause severe burns with a touch... And at the same time your going to feel like you're encased in ice relative to the world around you. 

And when you stop tapping, your metalminds aren't suddenly going to have shed that heat, so your going to have to deal with similar burns to what you just caused. 

It's not a great plan, but it would be capable of messing people up, yourself included. 

I guess the automatic defense isn't something I had considered. You'd have to be careful to ease off of it slowly to avoid the worst of the heat.
That's interesting, since the main use of F Brass is supposed to be surviving harsh temperatures. I guess the most likely outcome is that you'd still feel the difference in temperature, but it couldn't harm you. Or...

If compounding Brass doesn't kill you, then I no longer know what to think of the whole system.

On 11/13/2017 at 10:04 PM, Calderis said:

Zinc and steel both increase speed of thought, but zinc does quite a bit more on the mental end

So Zinc can potentially be used in combat . I’m not sure if you ever seen inhumans. There is one name Karnak . He is an Olympic level martial artist . His Power is he can calculate combat situations in a split second , determine which one is viable , which will fail , and where the persons weakness is . He is deadly effective 

5 hours ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

So Zinc can potentially be used in combat . I’m not sure if you ever seen inhumans. There is one name Karnak . He is an Olympic level martial artist . His Power is he can calculate combat situations in a split second , determine which one is viable , which will fail , and where the persons weakness is . He is deadly effective 

That's one potential application, assuming you have enough mental speed stored up. Wax taps it in Bands of Mourning when facing his uncle on the ship, he goes through all (I think) options in the time it takes Edwarn to finish a syllable.

5 hours ago, Agent34 said:

That's one potential application, assuming you have enough mental speed stored up. Wax taps it in Bands of Mourning when facing his uncle on the ship, he goes through all (I think) options in the time it takes Edwarn to finish a syllable.

Saze does this in Hero of ages.  It lets him doge metal by finding its trajectory.

14 hours ago, Sazedezas said:

Actually, the fact that F Brass stores bodyheat specifically means the most you could do is incinerate yourself. As cool as that would look (blip) it would not be a very effective tactic.

The right kind of thermal body suit could convert that heat into electrical power. With the right tech, you could be like Iron Man without a reactor in your chest!

4 hours ago, robardin said:

The right kind of thermal body suit could convert that heat into electrical power. With the right tech, you could be like Iron Man without a reactor in your chest!

Good luck with that.  Converting heat into electricity is haaaard.  If it was not we would not be having an energy crisis.  I hate to be the guy who causally dismisses a cool ideas but odds are if you have the tec to make that kind of suit you are probably better off alomantically pushing on a ring and using that to generate electricity.

In a similar vein what about those metalbending suits from Korra that the republic city police used but for coinshots?

Edited by Karger

5 hours ago, robardin said:

Actually when you tap a feruchemical Power it does provide protection from the power. That’s why Wax can make himself heavy then crash through a floor and barely have a scratch . If you compounding brass would let you let you release the heat but not burn yourself . You could probably grab a gun and melt it . You could charge a allomantic grenade and throw it to start fires or burn someone. Weild two metal bars that you could heat until they are Red hot . And possibly fill it to walk through fires . And possibly use it to power an Allomantic ship to FtL speed . I believe I saw that somewhere in a WOB

Edited by SzethIsBadAsHell
Spelling

• 7 months later...
On 11/1/2019 at 11:22 AM, Karger said:

Good luck with that.  Converting heat into electricity is haaaard.  If it was not we would not be having an energy crisis.  I hate to be the guy who causally dismisses a cool ideas but odds are if you have the tec to make that kind of suit you are probably better off alomantically pushing on a ring and using that to generate electricity.

Oh, I never came back to comment on this!

Your point about it being easier to use A-steel or A-iron to move metal around to make electricity is a good one, but you can't Compound for free Allomantic power, right? So we have to work on nigh-infinite Feruchemical attributes here.

So, the reason we don't see a lot of over use of heat->power IRL is because the return is low. As I understand it, energy gained back from processing waste heat is not much more than the cost of the processing, and of course is nowhere near the energy cost to do the work that produced the waste heat in the first place. But compounded brass means FREE net positive heat, which is free net positive energy. That has to be harness-able.

Like, how is geothermal heat used for power generation? And space probes like the Curiosity Rover are powered by thermoelectric generation, could one not hack a way to drive that with brassmind derived heat instead of radioactive decay, and at a far higher level?

1 hour ago, robardin said:

So, the reason we don't see a lot of over use of heat->power IRL is because the return is low.

huh?  arent most forms of energy production heat-> power?  or are you considering them more like heat-> motion -> power, which i ssuppose is technically more accurate.  I guess you could use brass to make a steampunk ironman suit with the body heat providing the power source and heating steam ot provide electricity and/or direct locomotion.

6 hours ago, Dunkum said:

huh?  arent most forms of energy production heat-> power?  or are you considering them more like heat-> motion -> power, which i ssuppose is technically more accurate.  I guess you could use brass to make a steampunk ironman suit with the body heat providing the power source and heating steam ot provide electricity and/or direct locomotion.

I was more responding to Karger's assertion that if we could easily turn heat into power (IRL), we wouldn't have an energy crisis - which I took to mean efficient conversion of waste heat, not sure if that is what he meant. Because otherwise, solar power is effectively turning heat into power, as is the kind that powers Curiosity.

And that by compounding brass, a Metalborn could personally generate excess heat power to a large degree, only needing a suit to capture it, convert it to electricity, and then to power "stuff". Not necessarily steampunk, maybe it'd need Era 3 tech, but it'd be cool if medallion-enabled brass compounding resulted in Iron Man type power armor!

1 minute ago, robardin said:

I was more responding to Karger's assertion that if we could easily turn heat into power (IRL), we wouldn't have an energy crisis - which I took to mean efficient conversion of waste heat, not sure if that is what he meant. Because otherwise, solar power is effectively turning heat into power, as is the kind that powers Curiosity.

sure, but my point is that nuclear, coal, natural gas, and oil, plus I think some types of geothermal all use heat to generate power, there is just an extra step involved.  like the actual function of a nuclear power plant is pretty straightforward - harness the vast energy that comes from nuclear chain reactions to....heat up water into steam to turn a turbine to generate power.  I think that of all the electricity generation methods availble, solar is pretty much the only one that doesn't work by turning some type of turbine.  now that would be hard to use for something an iron man suit though, since youd have to lug around a turbine system capable of generating enough electricity from your compounded heat to do things like fly.  you might be able to make something bigger, like a mech type thing, assuming there really is sufficient heat generation happening, and from there turbines or simple steam pressure would be able to power it.

and yea, waste heat -> power is hard.  though i have heard of places using waste heat from server rooms to help reduce heating costs for the buildings, but thats just moving the existing heat more efficiently to avoid generating more.

8 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

sure, but my point is that nuclear, coal, natural gas, and oil, plus I think some types of geothermal all use heat to generate power, there is just an extra step involved.  like the actual function of a nuclear power plant is pretty straightforward - harness the vast energy that comes from nuclear chain reactions to....heat up water into steam to turn a turbine to generate power.  I think that of all the electricity generation methods availble, solar is pretty much the only one that doesn't work by turning some type of turbine.  now that would be hard to use for something an iron man suit though, since youd have to lug around a turbine system capable of generating enough electricity from your compounded heat to do things like fly.  you might be able to make something bigger, like a mech type thing, assuming there really is sufficient heat generation happening, and from there turbines or simple steam pressure would be able to power it.

and yea, waste heat -> power is hard.  though i have heard of places using waste heat from server rooms to help reduce heating costs for the buildings, but thats just moving the existing heat more efficiently to avoid generating more.

That's the part I'm fuzzy on. I thought the thermoelectric generators used in space probes were not doing it through a moving metal part? And same with solar. Could sufficient heat as from one's body from a brassmind power that sort of thing? I imagined it could be hacked, but really I have no idea. So on a comic book level, yeah, but in actuality, who knows. (Well, rather, I don't know.)

8 hours ago, robardin said:

. As I understand it, energy gained back from processing waste heat is not much more than the cost of the processing, and of course is nowhere near the energy cost to do the work that produced the waste heat in the first place. But compounded brass means FREE net positive heat, which is free net positive energy. That has to be harness-able.

You might be able to boil water but then your going to have to worry about cooling it somehow and that is an entire problem by itself.  A warm body by itself is not enough otherwise you you put a rock outside on a warm day and extract significant electricity from it.

8 hours ago, robardin said:

Like, how is geothermal heat used for power generation?

Those use a consistent difference in heat to generate an electric current.  Mars also has a difference in heat because it is cold outside.  If you want to use f brass you could make one compounder and one storer and use the difference between them to generate electrisity but I can't speak to the efficiency of such a move.

1 hour ago, robardin said:

That's the part I'm fuzzy on. I thought the thermoelectric generators used in space probes were not doing it through a moving metal part? And same with solar. Could sufficient heat as from one's body from a brassmind power that sort of thing? I imagined it could be hacked, but really I have no idea. So on a comic book level, yeah, but in actuality, who knows. (Well, rather, I don't know.)

right, so thermoelectric is another example that doesnt do a turbine, you are correct.  but i don't think that is generally used for large scale things.   its used in space probes because they have minimal power requirements (relative to say an office building or whatever) and need to last a long time so a form with no moving pieces is ideal, but for larger applications, we have more efficient methods of energy generation.  as for solar, it depends a bit on what kind of solar you are talking.  solar panels aren't generally using heat , they are based on the photo-electric effect which directly converts light to electricity.  possibly heat is related to that, i'm no expert, but i don't believe so.  there is a different kind of solar that basically concentrates solar energy to one point to heat up a medium and that one, I think, does actually end up using heat to run a turbine.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Those use a consistent difference in heat to generate an electric current.  Mars also has a difference in heat because it is cold outside.  If you want to use f brass you could make one compounder and one storer and use the difference between them to generate electrisity but I can't speak to the efficiency of such a move.

this is also how at least some kinds of meat thermometers work - the heat difference between the inside and outside generates a current, whose properties can be measured and then mathed into a heat value - but I get the impression that they still need batteries or a plug to power the components, so even a difference of several hundred degrees F is likely insufficient to generate enough power to do much with.  though it probably also depends on the size of the wire between them and who knows what else.  i only know the basics of electricity and circutis and the like.