[OB] Only Ten Spren Murals

Blacksmithki

When I was reading the last two chapters this week I noticed that there were only 10 murals of what are presumably Radiant Spren, however, the most commen theory as to what the bondsmith a bond are 3 different God-Spren, however these murals would imply that there is only one bondsmith Spren. Does anyone have a way to reconcile these things because I'm not sure and i like the bondsmith theory.

The other thought I had about the Godspren is, if one of them is Honour's cognitive shadow, could the other two be linked to Cultivation and Odium? Or, if not Odium, then what about Adonalsium?

Brandon has at the very least implied (may have outright said - I can't recall) that the Stormfather could bond more than one Radiant at a time. So it could be that.

Besides, aren't the Bondsmiths the Order pretty much completely of Honor? The common theory is that the Nightwatcher is one of the Bondsmith spren, but she's Cultivation's equivalent of the Stormfather, more or less. Whereas the Stormfather is completely of Honor. It would seem weird if somehow someone bonded a Cultivation superspren, but then used powers completely of Honor. If all three bonded the Stormfather, that would make sense from this perspective.

Edited by dendrophobe
Clarification

5 minutes ago, Bort said:

The other thought I had about the Godspren is, if one of them is Honour's cognitive shadow, could the other two be linked to Cultivation and Odium? Or, if not Odium, then what about Adonalsium?

The Stormfather was already a Bondsmith's Spren before to become Honor's Shadow (and by the way I don't like to call him Honor's Shadow because he is more than that)

5 minutes ago, dendrophobe said:

Brandon has at the very least implied (may have outright said - I can't recall) that the Stormfather could bond more than one Radiant at a time. So it could be that.

Besides, aren't the Bondsmiths the Order pretty much completely of Honor? The common theory is that the Nightwatcher is one of the Bondsmith spren, but she's Cultivation's equivalent of the Stormfather, more or less. Whereas the Stormfather is completely of Honor. It would seem weird if somehow someone bonded a Cultivation superspren, but then used powers completely of Honor. If all three bonded the Stormfather, that would make sense from this perspective.

I'm of the theory that the Stonewards and Windrunners are the closest orders to Honor.  You can interpret the vertical axis in the surgebinding diagram as a gradient representing closeness to Honor at the top and Cultivation at the bottom (Edgedancers+Lightweavers).  The Bondsmiths are a bit closer to the middle than the Stonewards and Windrunners.  Just a theory, but one that fits current data pretty well.

Also, Dalinar's visions from Honor tend to more predominately focus on events with Radiants from Stonewards+Windrunners (Recreance and Midnight Essence flashbacks).

1 minute ago, Subvisual Haze said:

I'm of the theory that the Stonewards and Windrunners are the closest orders to Honor.  You can interpret the vertical axis in the surgebinding diagram as a gradient representing closeness to Honor at the top and Cultivation at the bottom (Edgedancers+Lightweavers).  The Bondsmiths are a bit closer to the middle than the Stonewards and Windrunners.  Just a theory, but one that fits current data pretty well.

Also, Dalinar's visions from Honor tend to more predominately focus on events with Radiants from Stonewards+Windrunners (Recreance and Midnight Essence flashbacks).

From the Surges' prospective alone the Orders closer to Honor are Windrunner and Bondsmith as they have Adhesion, the surge most near to Honor by WoB (while the Surge closer to Cultivation is of course Progression, so Edgedancer and Truthwatcher)

Other murals depicted shapes that reminded her of Pattern, windspren… ten kinds of spren. One for each order?

She's conflating two different types of spren in her statement. Pattern, who is a greater spren? (I forget the in-world term), and windspren who are the lesser spren. My thought is that the murals depict the lesser spren associated with each of the orders. I think creationspren tend to have very flexible shapes, that it's easier to depict the Cryptics than the lesser form as they would be recognizable as that Order's spren.

5 minutes ago, frozndevl said:

She's conflating two different types of spren in her statement. Pattern, who is a greater spren? (I forget the in-world term), and windspren who are the lesser spren. My thought is that the murals depict the lesser spren associated with each of the orders. I think creationspren tend to have very flexible shapes, that it's easier to depict the Cryptics than the lesser form as they would be recognizable as that Order's spren.

Probably she is unable to understand the "windspren" is an "honorspren" as she doesn't know how the rest of the radiantspren look

Edited by Yata

We did get a clue though, back in WoR. Pattern commenting about Creationspren. "Useless things. They never do anything. They just are." (Line is paraphrased since I don't recall the exact words he used). 

Also, Pattern is constantly shifting and changing, just like the Creationspren, albeit with more sentience.

So, this brings me to my next theory, which I have believed for a few years now, and I know has some support on here, at least. When Shallan gets her Shardplate, it will be crafted of Creationspren. Kaladin's will be Windspren, Lift's will be Lifespren. I'm unsure yet about Renarin's or Jasnah's.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Only Ten Spren Murals
  • Chaos locked this topic