How does a Chasmfiend survive a Highstorm?

Steeldancer

ooh ooh

I need to go back and read now. Is there any indication of how long before a Highstorm they come up to pupate?
Maybe they need to change spren in order to grow and thus REQUIRE a Highstorm like the Parshendi do. Maybe all spren bonded creatures do.

Also, Eshonai was just fine in the Highstorm in Warform. I can't imagine a Chasmfiend having more difficulty than she did.

25 minutes ago, Wreith said:

ooh ooh

I need to go back and read now. Is there any indication of how long before a Highstorm they come up to pupate?
Maybe they need to change spren in order to grow and thus REQUIRE a Highstorm like the Parshendi do. Maybe all spren bonded creatures do.

Also, Eshonai was just fine in the Highstorm in Warform. I can't imagine a Chasmfiend having more difficulty than she did.

She wasn't in a storm surge. Those are bad. 

40 minutes ago, Calderis said:

She was on the plains when the storm wall hit. She brought the storm shield with her and lost it early on to a gust. 

I'm specifically talking about the wave of water, focused by the shattered plains. Eshonai wasn't in the Chasms. But that chasmfiend had survived at least one highstorm in the chasms, and I want to know how. 

31 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

I'm specifically talking about the wave of water, focused by the shattered plains. Eshonai wasn't in the Chasms. But that chasmfiend had survived at least one highstorm in the chasms, and I want to know how. 

Ah, I misunderstood. With the number of legs it has, I imagine it lifts itself above the water line, but below the edges of the Chasm itself out winds. 

It has a super hard shell, if we’re assuming that it’s the same thing as the stuff that makes up chrysalises. It takes hours (I think) to break through it with hammers, so I think it could maybe conceivably brace itself against a plateau wall in a branch of the flow (so it doesn’t just get swept to the side, instead getting smashed against a wall). It could use its shell to kind of divide the stream, though it definitely couldn’t breathe. Hum.

Okay new theory: it finds leeward areas such that when they eventually fill up, it will be with slower water that it can float up on and then brace against the walls of the chasms to avoid floating into faster streams. Huh, this isn’t a good theory either... I’ll take two pretty bad theories over one pretty good one.

Edited by Walin
Forgot how breathe (the verb) was spelled

Remember, Chasmfiends don't normally live out on the Shattered plains, they only come there to pupate.Unless they just live in the unclaimed hills and no one sees them, I think they must live much of their life in the ocean and come on land to reproduce and pupate. Shallan says that their chrysalis looks most like the chrysalis of the Yu-nerig which is an aquatic greatshell and all other greatshells we've heard of are at least partly aquatic. The Tai-na live half submerged, the Yu-nerig lives mostly in the Reshi sea, the Santhid is entirely aquatic, and the Lanceryn was known to be found on an island. As for surviving on the plains, they may curl up on the top of a plateau of just wedge themselves ninja-style bracing against both walls to keep themselves our of the water. 

Edited by thejopen27

Light came from above too steady to be lightning. Something was glowing on the plateau, something that moved. It was hard to see since water streamed off the side of the plateau above, falling in a sheet before their refuge. He swore he saw an enormous figure walking up there a glowing inhuman form, followed by another, alien and sleek striding the storm, leg after leg until the glow passed.

At first I thought these were the parshendi, either the stormforms or Thude's band. Now I believe that one of those figures could very possibly be a giant female chasmfiend laying eggs. Because right after said highstorm, a chrysalis was spotted.

And also this.

twok_ephemera-2_greatshell-webres.jpg

Edited by ScavellTane

@thejopen27 beat me to it. There seems to be speculation that chasmfiends are primarily or at least partially aquatic. They travel to the shattered plains to pupate, and would be protected once inside the chrysalis. 

Now to address the roamers in the chasms themselves, i'd imagine that they use those giant pincers and huge bodies to wedge themselves into a corner or small "alleyway" as it were. Maybe near the top? But seeing as they are aquatic, once the danger from the inital rush had passed then it would be perfectly content to hang out in the rushing canyon floods. 

Lastly, in WoR the chasmfiend that kaladin killed wasnt even trying to keep itself in place but it didnt budge an inch.

*slide whistle*

25 minutes ago, ScavellTane said:

At first I thought these were the parshendi, either the stormforms or Thude's band. Now I believe that one of those figures could very possibly be a giant female chasmfiend laying eggs. Because right after said highstorm, a chrysalis was spotted.

And also this.

twok_ephemera-2_greatshell-webres.jpg

Wow, i dont think ive heard that theory proposed before. And it would be magnificent if it were true. Im pretty sure it was just the large number of listeners who were rushing to bond stormform though. I'd guess that chasmfiends may lay eggs somewhere around the shattered plains. Probably further east where the plateaus are farther apart and chasmfiends are more common. It would probably explain why they have an instinct to return for pupation. 

Im not sure the chrysalis would be connected to the hypothetical giant chasmqueen though. A chrysalis is formed when a juvenile is ready to pupate into an adult. The mother of fiends would be laying eggs. (And yes, i am now patenting the term "Chasmqueen") 

Edited by Head Crabs
Spelling

14 hours ago, thejopen27 said:

I have seen it theorized that the giant figure Kaldin sees moving in the storm was one of the Unmade, or a thunderclast. Kaladin describes it as a giant figure striding through the storm.

Yeah this is one of the main theory about the Stormstriders also if I never believed too much, having an Unmade around isn't something I see the Stormfather too happy with and Pattern neither say something in that context

• Chaos locked this topic