[OB] There's something royal 'bout them locks...

CosmereQuestioner

1 hour ago, Nymeros said:

Le sigh.....never change 17th Shard.

No I don't think this is the case.

Hahaha, 

Being a relative newbie here, some of these theories are so out there(to me)...I don't know how people put them together. Doesn't mean they're wrong, but I have no idea how people are getting from point A to point B so many times.

3 minutes ago, Shuffel said:

I don't buy that Evi is Vivenna. If she was Renarin & Adolin would accidentally change there hair color in times of emotion.

It has been stated earlier (or elsewhere?) from a WoB and from warbreaker that the locks follow the children of whoever is in direct line for the throne or something along those lines. not the children of royalty, so no, they would not as they wouldn't actually have the locks.

1 hour ago, NoiseSpren said:

I rememember when Zahel saved the priests daughter, he erased her memories of her imprisoning. Dalinar has no memories of his wife...

Seems likewise

(Sorry for my english)

Dalinar 's Memory Lost is caused by the Old Magic and by the way It's not a Simply Memory loss as every reference (past, present and future) is erased from his Active Mind.

It's not related to Awakening

18 hours ago, Blacksmithki said:

It has been stated earlier (or elsewhere?) from a WoB and from warbreaker that the locks follow the children of whoever is in direct line for the throne or something along those lines. not the children of royalty, so no, they would not as they wouldn't actually have the locks.

I think this is incorrect. I believe the royal locks are genetic passed down from the famous returned(can't think of his name).

29 minutes ago, Shuffel said:

I think this is incorrect. I believe the royal locks are genetic passed down from the famous returned(can't think of his name).

The Royal Locks are genetic passed down from Vo's lineage but you express them only if you are in the direct line for the throne.

For example when, one of Vivienna's sibling will inherit the throne, all the other siblings will lost the Royal Locks because they are no more in the direct line (in the same way an hipotetical Vivienna's uncle has not the Royal Locks also if he is the king's brother.

Already explained because (to me) that happens and others disagree with my point...the fact remains, Vo's descendants on Nalthis gained and losed Royal Locks depending on their position regard the Idris' Throne

On 10/14/2017 at 8:16 AM, Yata said:

The Royal Locks are genetic passed down from Vo's lineage but you express them only if you are in the direct line for the throne.

For example when, one of Vivienna's sibling will inherit the throne, all the other siblings will lost the Royal Locks because they are no more in the direct line (in the same way an hipotetical Vivienna's uncle has not the Royal Locks also if he is the king's brother.

Already explained because (to me) that happens and others disagree with my point...the fact remains, Vo's descendants on Nalthis gained and losed Royal Locks depending on their position regard the Idris' Throne

I see your point and it's interesting. I think if this was the case then Vivenna would of lost her Royal locks once Siri became Queen.

On 10/14/2017 at 2:09 AM, NoiseSpren said:

I remember when Zahel saved the priests daughter, he erased her memories of her imprisoning. Dalinar has no memories of his wife...

Seems likewise

(Sorry for my english)

Warbreaker Spoilers

Spoiler

You forget the crucial detail. Vasher was unable to erase the girl's memories himself. The magic system doesn't work that way.

He had to come up with the proper command, tell the girl, and emphasize that she "say the words, and mean them."

It also used the girl's own Breath, something Dalinar does not have.

That is not even remotely similar to what happened to Dalinar.

14 minutes ago, Shuffel said:

They were only exiled to Idris, they were originally the rulers of Halladren. Unless I am reading the Halladren wiki wrong.

"Used to be" is not the same as "is be." (which I'm fairly certain is grammatically correct, by the way :))

It's perception. They used to rule Hallandren, but they were exiled and now run Idris. So the perception has shifted to them ruling Idris, thus the Locks only follow the ruler of Idris. The ruler of Hallandren has no perceptual ties to Idris anymore. Siri being made queen was a result of an arranged marriage/treaty, not some tradition.

Edited by The One Who Connects

On 10/17/2017 at 9:24 PM, The One Who Connects said:

"Used to be" is not the same as "is be." (which I'm fairly certain is grammatically correct, by the way :))

It's perception. They used to rule Hallandren, but they were exiled and now run Idris. So the perception has shifted to them ruling Idris, thus the Locks only follow the ruler of Idris. The ruler of Hallandren has no perceptual ties to Idris anymore. Siri being made queen was a result of an arranged marriage/treaty, not some tradition.

Okay I have been dwelling on this for a few days.

I understand perception plays a big part in the Cosmere, a good example of this is Kaladin's slave brands.

If a returned returned without knowing he was a returned would he have the 5th heightening?

Based on your logic he would not experience the 5th heightening.

Please correct me if I misunderstood.

2 minutes ago, Shuffel said:

Okay I have been dwelling on this for a few days.

I understand perception plays a big part in the Cosmere, a good example of this is Kaladin's slave brands.

If a returned returned without knowing he was a returned would he have the 5th heightening?

Every Returned can't know he is a Returned as just as he return to life but yet he gives of the whole Divine Breath's Biochromatic aura.

8 minutes ago, Yata said:

Every Returned can't know he is a Returned as just as he return to life but yet he gives of the whole Divine Breath's Biochromatic aura.

Exactly.

A returned who doesn't perceive himself as a returned still experiences the 5th heightning.

A child of the royal family who doesn't perceive himself as a child of the royal family should still experience the hair color change.

19 minutes ago, Shuffel said:

You did misunderstand, but not for the reason you think. The Biochromatic Aura is on by default. It takes skill in perception to suppress it, not to activate it. Vasher showcases this quite well, as he begins to grow towards his larger Returned proportions when he isn't concentrating. From the Annotations:

Notice how he grows in size here when he isn’t paying attention. That’s his Returned nature beginning to manifest, much like Vivenna’s hair reacts to her emotions, because of the moment of great passion from him during the fight.

We posted at the same time, so edited in my response @Shuffel:

5 minutes ago, Shuffel said:

A child of the royal family who doesn't perceive himself as a child of the royal family should still experience the hair color change.

It's not just your perception influencing what is what.

Nepene ()

In Warbreaker Lightsong mentions that the Returned's forms are dependent on contemporary beauty standards. In The Emperor's Soul Shai implies that if others did not find the Emperor's Soul plausible it would not take as well. Is my reading of their statements correct, is their magic dependent on how others view you as well as how you view yourself?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. This is a factor.

fixed broken link

Edited by The One Who Connects

On 10/14/2017 at 5:16 AM, Yata said:

Something else to consider about lineage and perception. We know that Denth was part of the royal lineage, because his hair flashed between a variety of colors eventually to white, just before he died. Denth was very likely part of the royal lineage, but certainly not direct in the way described here. I believe that any within the lineage will have the Royal Locks (and will be able to express the color change based on perception), not necessarily in direct line to the throne. So, although Vivenna might believe this to be the case, it isn't necessarily true.

Edited by Todesengel
Added change to reflect necessary perception

13 minutes ago, Todesengel said:

We know that Denth was part of the royal lineage, because his hair flashed between a variety of colors eventually to white, just before he died. Denth was very likely part of the royal lineage, but certainly not direct in the way described here.

What makes you think that he can't have been the son of a previous monarch of Idris?

1 minute ago, BlackYeti said:

What makes you think that he can't have been the son of a previous monarch of Idris?

Nothing. I wouldn't doubt it. I see no other explanation, in fact. But my interpretation of what I quoted was saying that only those in direct line to the throne, meaning the children of the current monarch, would be able to express the Royal Locks. I just wanted to bring up Denth to show how the direct line to the throne is likely not the reason why a person can express the Royal Locks.

On 10/24/2017 at 0:33 PM, Todesengel said:

Nothing. I wouldn't doubt it. I see no other explanation, in fact. But my interpretation of what I quoted was saying that only those in direct line to the throne, meaning the children of the current monarch, would be able to express the Royal Locks. I just wanted to bring up Denth to show how the direct line to the throne is likely not the reason why a person can express the Royal Locks.

I don't have Warbreaker in front of me, so I could be wrong, but did Siri and Vivenna believe that they would lose their own Royal Locks when their sibling took the throne? I thought it meant that their children wouldn't inherit, not that they would lose the ability themselves once they were no longer in the running. That would mean that Denth (in this scenario) only needed to be in the running when he was born. He would retain the ability, but his children wouldn't.

On 10/17/2017 at 5:58 PM, Energy Surge said:

Siri didn't become Queen of Idris. She became Queen of Hallandren.

I think this is important, especially because she wasn't first in line to the throne. There's some ambiguity, because there was an intention to unify the lines, but I think her brother would still be considered the rightful heir.

Edited by Marethyu316
fixing typos

Do we have WOB that royal cousins don’t have the locks? As in - if the middle sister had kids would they have the locks? 

However, we can’t jump to the conclusion that Denth was Royal. 

The Royal Locks are a holdover from their Returned progenitor. Denth is a Returned, suppressing his shape. Likely on one of many different faces. It is entirely plausible that any Returned can have flipping hair at death under the right conditions, and that the same may have happened to Vasher should he have died violently here. 

Doesnt mean hea NOT royal, merely that that conclusion is uncertain. 

What is certain however is that the scout is Vivenna ;)