Konversations With Kobold

Anarkitty

22 hours ago, Anarkitty said:

Me: I have 200 reputation points now. I'm a... I'm not sure what I am. Is that /GI-orn/? Or /JI-orn/? Or /GE-orn/ or /JE-orn/? Perhaps the G is silent and I'm a /yorn/.

It's from Elantris. You are now a war priest.

Just now, Argent said:

It's from Elantris. You are now a war priest.

Ah. Thanks! It's been a while since I read that one, and sometimes I forget my children's names. It's probably hilarious to hear me try to talk about my favorite anime shows when I haven't seen them in a couple of months. *sigh*

Now how do you pronounce it? :D

War priest. Booyah! I can rock that.

23 hours ago, Anarkitty said:

Husband: Where are the littles?

Me: They're playing outside. And since I'm about to leave and you'll be in charge of my children, I'm rather concerned that you just noticed that they were missing.

Husband: I'm working. Jared's in charge.

[I look at Jared. He's licking his fidget spinner; he notices me watching him and laughs. I'm not sure I'm leaving the house again until my youngest children don't need supervision anymore.]

Seriously, calling them "littles"?

Also, @Kobold King, why were you licking a fidget spinner? That's weird. And gross. 

7 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

Seriously, calling them "littles"?

Our children range in age from 6 to almost 21. :D There are times when verbal grouping is necessary, or at least helpful.

7 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

Also, @Kobold King, why were you licking a fidget spinner? That's weird. And gross. 

YES. Exactly. And one of the cats plays with it, too.

13 hours ago, Argent said:

Kind of like you would pronounce Bjorn. Hard 'g', followed by "yorn" - which in turn is like "yarn" but with 'o'.

Oh yay, someone who agrees with me on this! This month at BYU Cosmere Club I felt weird when someone said it like "GUY-orn."

Haha this thread is great.

My grandmother was the one who showed me the Shard, she just lurks here though, so I don't have to worry about embarrassing nonsense :P

She's too busy posting ridiculous theories in the Dresden Files subreddit on the other side of the interwebs. :P

Edited by Cowmanthethird

On 27/10/2017 at 7:49 AM, Mulk said:

it was Hugh Jackman in the movie as Valjean :P  Liam Neeson can't sing anything like that.

It's a hell of a story in any case.  I was in high school when the musical made it big.  I've seen it three times, and it blows me away each time. We performed a medley of songs from it the same year Tienanmen Square happened and let me tell you, that felt kinda spooky...

Um. I thought Tiananmen Square happened in like the 80s or so?

oh wait you said musical not movie. 

This is not my historical strong point. 

On 27/10/2017 at 5:04 PM, Kobold King said:

It makes them go faster.

:lol: 

Miley Cyrus much?

4 hours ago, Delightful said:

Um. I thought Tiananmen Square happened in like the 80s or so?

oh wait you said musical not movie. 

This is not my historical strong point.

Correct. Tienanmen Square massacre occurred in June of 1989, I'd just finished my freshman year in high school.  The musical came out in...late 1987 I think?

I've been there since then.  Most Chinese don't know what happened that day, it was and still is pretty well suppressed.

On 10/26/2017 at 11:49 PM, Mulk said:

it was Hugh Jackman in the movie as Valjean :P  Liam Neeson can't sing anything like that.

It's a hell of a story in any case.  I was in high school when the musical made it big.  I've seen it three times, and it blows me away each time. We performed a medley of songs from it the same year Tienanmen Square happened and let me tell you, that felt kinda spooky...

Liam Neeson and Uma Thurman starred in the 1998 movie. :P Honest to goodness, this is the first time I've ever heard of a Les Mis musical. Now you've made me feel like I'm missing out. :) 

We read Hunchback instead of Les Mis in high school. I hope I can gather up the attention span to read it this year. I've started it, and I find it enjoyable but hard.

Just now, Anarkitty said:

Liam Neeson and Uma Thurman starred in the 1998 movie. :P Honest to goodness, this is the first time I've ever heard of a Les Mis musical. Now you've made me feel like I'm missing out. :) 

We read Hunchback instead of Les Mis in high school. I hope I can gather up the attention span to read it this year. I've started it, and I find it enjoyable but hard.

ah, okay, I never saw that movie. Just the movie based on the musical and the musical itself.  And it is amazing and well worth the time.

15 minutes ago, Anarkitty said:

On 10/27/2017 at 7:47 AM, Anarkitty said:

Now how do you pronounce it? :D

On 10/27/2017 at 9:50 AM, Argent said:

Kind of like you would pronounce Bjorn. Hard 'g', followed by "yorn" - which in turn is like "yarn" but with 'o'.

20 hours ago, Sunchicken said:

Oh yay, someone who agrees with me on this! This month at BYU Cosmere Club I felt weird when someone said it like "GUY-orn."

The way the audiobook narrator pronounced it was with a silent G. So, just "yorn". I still don't know how I say it. :P 

Edited by Slowswift

Me: [to husband, who whispered something across the room] I don't even know what that is.

Husband: I don't either actually. Don't look it up!

Me: Incognito mode...

Husband: Yeah, don't want that showing up in ads!

Me: Oh, my. Oh, my!

KK: Is that an appalled "oh, my" or a George Takei "oh, my"?

----------

Me: [to Kobold Minion 2] Whatever floats your boat.

Kobold Princess: [age 6] Floats your boat. Yeah, whatever floats your boat...and makes you not drown.

----------

KK: Hey, where's my donut? I didn't have my donut!

Me: [calming tone] They're in the fridge.

KK: Okay. In this house, you have to check.

Me: In this house, YOU are the one most likely to eat someone else's donut!

KK: [laughing] Okay, well...

Edited by Anarkitty

50 minutes ago, Anarkitty said:

Me: [to Kobold Minion 2] Whatever floats your boat.

Kobold Princess: [age 6] Floats your boat. Yeah, whatever floats your boat...and makes you not drown.

You'll float too.
You'll float too.
You'll float too.
You'll float too!
You'll float too!

• 1 month later...

Me: [looking at recipes online] Oooh. I want this.

KK: What is it?

Me: Chicken in mustard cream sauce. It has heavy cream, wine, and butter.

KK: Those are some of your favorite things.

Me: I KNOW! Right?!

----------

Kobold Princess: [age 6, looking at a book] This little girl is a smart patootie. [pause] Well, she is a little violent...

The book is Hansel and Gretel. According to my daughter, Gretel is "a little violent" when she pushes a witch into a stove. She may watch too much anime.

----------

KK: When I was young, I got the Iraqis and the Iroquois confused. I also thought Al Capone was a middle-eastern terrorist.

He also invented a character named Sheriff Marshall, and he didn't get it. And for a brief time, he thought Canada won the Civil War. 

----------

Kobold Father: You WILL give me a hug before I leave...

KK: [sighing] Okay.

KF: ...NOT just allow me to hug you.

KK: Dang it!

----------

Kobold Minion 2: [age 13, ALMOST 14] Hey, they're making a live action Tick.

Me: A second one. One came out years ago, but Jared decided that y'all couldn't watch it. He got up and turned it off.

KK: Yeah, I've always been more strict about stuff like that...

Me: [shame-faced] ...than me, since I let you watch Fight Club when you were pretty young. 

KK: I'd like to watch that again, actually.

Me: Okay, we can do that while the others are gone. I think [KM2] is old enough to see it now.

KK: [just looks at me]

Me: What?!

----------

KK: [after doing something foolish] You knew that was going to happen, didn't you?

Me: Yep.

KK: You could have said something.

Me: You don't like it when I mother you.

KK: Seriously?

Me: Hey, I'm just giving you what you want...

• 2 weeks later...