[OB] Anyone think Mr. T might be right?

Salkara

23 minutes ago, jamskinner said:

I don't know how to mark spoilers so I tried to be a bit vague. 

What if the holder of odium held the mistborn shards. Do you think we would see the same destruction?  

A spoiler box is made by clicking the eyeball at the top of the text input box. 

As to Rayse... I have no clue. We've seen nothing of him as a character. We have nothing to see what his interpretation of Ruin and/or Preservation. Could be better. Could be worse. Could be better. I have no idea. 

Another one for the "Shards aren't good or evil" collection. 

Blightsong

Can honorspren, or any other type of Knight Radiant spren, be evil despite their relationship to Tanavast or Cultivation?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, because I don't call the Shards good and evil. There are no good and evil Shards in my opinion, like and so, what's evil and what's not evil- you can totally have spren that are of Honor that you would consider evil. They have free will; they are muchmore strictly limited in that free will than we are, because of their nature as spren. It's very hard for most spren to every break an oath or to lie. That's just like- as manifestations of laws of nature makes it very hard for that to happen, but they can be cruel.

On 9/29/2017 at 8:24 AM, KidWayne said:

As you said, honor requires one to keep an oath so long as you are able. This is not the same thing as carefully avoiding oaths that have the potential to compromise your morality (i.e. what is right). So, I would agree with your revision: "honor unchecked has the potential to lead to as much evil as unchecked hatred."

Glad we could reach an agreement.

I think that being honorable has some overlap with morality. Now, being honorable is a requirement of being moral.

I guess we could liken it to the square/rectangle statements: All Squares are Rectangles. Not all Rectangles are Squares.
Moral actions (in almost all cases) must be honorable actions. Honorable actions do not have to be moral actions.

On 9/29/2017 at 10:43 AM, jamskinner said:

Would you agree some shards are more likely to lead to evil?  Would ruin lead to more evil then preservation?  I would say from what we have seen the answer is yes. I believe the same with odium and honor. 

The world seemed pretty okay while ruin was imprisoned compared to after.

In the case of Ruin and Preservation, I can unequivocally say: No.
As Rasha said: Is freezing the whole world better than simply destroying it? Ruin would bring well.. ruin to the world, but not all at once. These things take time. Eventually, the world would crack and crumble into dust. On Preservation's end, some things were stagnant and unchanging already. How much longer before everything became frozen, unable to move, to change, to be?

Assuming this process would take the same amount of time(because Shards have the same baseline strength), Ruin would actually cause less evil in the long run because humanity would start dying off en masse on his world, and corpses can't commit evil acts. Preservation's world would eventually start to freeze, preventing people from committing evil too, but more people alive for a longer period of time means statistically higher odds of evil acts being committed. Even if Ruin's influence increases people's darker tendencies, when people are spread farther out because vast portions of land are ruins(flood, volcano, earthquake) that can't be crossed. You can't kill/rob people if you can't get to them.

Odium and Honor are.. a little more uncertain. Honor(the Shard) does not have a moral component, so a world where you can bind people to their word can go one of two ways: 1) run by people like Dalinar or 2) run by people who hire people like Szeth. Dalinar's world will certainly have less evil than Odium's world, but a world where leaders like Sadeas and hired mercs/assassins like Szeth and Liss are commonplace? The argument is there to be made that Odium's world wouldn't be able to compete with that.

The reason Mr T is scary is because he actually has a good chance of being right. And because of that, I don't think it matters if he is even close to right. That isn't the point. The point is that because it appears to have a chance, he can attract devout followers, just like any other cult. That is what is scary.

Just now, Calderis said:

No. If Jasnah Kholin were with Taravangian, there is absolutely no chance she would have allowed herself to not be a part of that Spanreed conversation. 

I suppose that's fair. 

She does give every appearance of being awfully clinical, though. Also, no one outside of Hoid knows she is alive. It could be calculated based on some knowledge she gained in the cognitive ream.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Anyone think Mr. T might be right?
  • Chaos locked this topic