Hail Shardbearers!

Ailessar

Olleh everyone,

My name is Ailema, or, if you're not into reading things backwards, Amelia. But you can call me Aile.  I've read and listened to the epic tome Way of Kings at least twice now, finished reading/listening to the impressive Mistborn trilogy a couple weeks ago, just finished r/l to the awesome Warbreaker a couple of days ago, and am r/l to Sirtnale at the moment.  I have a treasured signed copy of Steelheart that I will hopefully read during this slightly frantic marathon to catch up with all things Sanderson, as well as the Emperor’s Lous on Kindle. 

I love audiobooks—probably because of my faintly annoying tendency to read everything backwards.  I am a nascent rpg seeker, a recent graduate and computer programmer (you wonder how does that work with the backwards thing, right?), and a fantasyphile.

Yeh ereht! Emoclew ot eht smurof!

I think I did that right? Anyway, welcome in either case, Pond, hope to see you around the here. The current game is underway, but if you like RPGs, you might be interested in the Sanderson a Elimination game. Alternatively, there are a few people here who play the Nistborn Adventure Game if that's more your thing.

As quiver noted, depending on the type of rpg experience you are after there are a few options:

-If you want a completely narrative driven huge mistborn rpg, go to Mistborn The Inquisition.

(Also accessible through the links tab.)

-If you want a game of mafia/werewolves in a mistborn setting with a variable but generally fairly large amount of roleplaying, go to Sanderson Elimination. (In the rp section of the boards.)

-If you want a more traditional roleplaying experience then the Mistborn Adventure Game is an excellent narrative heavy rpg made by crafty games. I'm part of a site dedicated to playing it called Steel Ministry. We are always happy to have new players and will likely have openings for a couple more players in a new campaign I am starting shortly.

-Finally if you want to have a bit of fun crossing over star trek and the cosmere a few people are having fun with that here.

computer programmer (you wonder how does that work with the backwards thing, right?)

Do you name variables backwards? ;)

Yeh ereht! Emoclew ot eht smurof! 

Perfect! Nothing like a well-turned phrase (180-deg. turned, that is) to make optically-twisted newcomers like me feel right at home.  Thanks Reviuq!

Welcome! I hope you have a great time here! 

Thanks for the welcome, Limelleth!  I have a question, my Lady of Questions.  Does your avatar name mean that newcomers like me can ask you as many questions as they like?  Or does it mean you question everything? Or does it mean that you are the source of all answers to all questions ever asked in the universe? *curious*

Thanks for all the links, Lord Ffnord.  I will check them out as soon as I can. 

Do you name variables backwards? 

That and I also mangle functions to do the opposite of what they’re supposed to do if I’m not careful.  ;) 

Thanks for the welcome, Limelleth! I have a question, my Lady of Questions. Does your avatar name mean that newcomers like me can ask you as many questions as they like? Or does it mean you question everything? Or does it mean that you are the source of all answers to all questions ever asked in the universe? *curious*

That's a good question! The original reason behind the title was because I ask questions a lot of the time. However, the first question is also applicable. Feel free to ask whatever you like, whenever you like, but be forewarned that you may get a few questions in return.

Therefore, some questions: Are you excited for Words of Radiance? Will you be going to any of the signings? Will you buy your book, or wait for the library to get it? If you'll buy it, will it be hardback, eBook, or audiobook (or some combination of the three)?

Edited by Limelleth

That's a good question! The original reason behind the title was because I ask questions a lot of the time. However, the first question is also applicable. Feel free to ask whatever you like, whenever you like, but be forewarned that you may get a few questions in return.

Therefore, some questions: Are you excited for Words of Radiance? Will you be going to any of the signings? Will you buy your book, or wait for the library to get it? If you'll buy it, will it be hardback, eBook, or audiobook (or some combination of the three)? 

Questions in exchange for answers?  That’s actually a good deal! Thanks!

I’m super-excited about Words of Radiance!  I’ve already pre-ordered the hardback from the bookstore in Philly, where Mr. Sanderson will be making a stop on his tour.  On March 21, I will be camped out in front of the bookstore for the signing.  I will definitely buy the ebook and audiobook to read before then, I’m saving up my monthly Audible credit for it. 

How about you?  Are you one of the lucky people who live near BYU and will be there for the awesome book release party? So jealous if you are. :)

?eremsoC eht tuoba wonk uoy od tahW ?koob nosrednaS etiruovaf ruoy si tahW!smurof eht ot emocleW! iH 

!Olleh!  I feel so mraw and yzzuf.  I feel like I’ve arrived among my kind.  Another grammatically-challenged creature to make me welcome! 

As for my favorite koob, it has to be The Way of Kings.  It introduced me to the brilliance of Brandon Sanderson.  Do you think as I do that this series displays his genius to its full potential?  I mean, the other books impressed me enough, but this… well, I am speechless. 

I’m just learning about the Eremsoc, starting to read about it in the forums, and am further awed and cowed.  How much genius can there be in one person??

(By the way, you are welcome to revert to your native street slang with me.  Fair exchange. ;) )

Okay....you was of the asking for it :D

I wasing of the starting to the reading of Sanderson with Mistborn, wasing one of my favourite books ever. Then I wasing of the reading of Way of Kings, and after the hearing of the Cosmere my mind was of the blowing. (Sounding like cold of the mind....oops.). Of the reading of other Cosmere books, Way of Kings wasing my favourite. I've been of the three times rereading. Also, Stormlight Archive is only of the beginning, while Mistborn trilogy one is of the completing.

So in waying of the roundaboutness - Mistborn wasing if my favourite. Now Way of Kings is of the favourite, because Brandon can being of the doing so much more of the awesome as he is of the growing as a writer. So I am of the agreeing with you, now. Maybe Mistborn 2 and 3 will being of the even more awesomeness.  :)

And 

As for my favorite koob

wasing of the making me of the out-loud laughing. Have a taking of an upvote :)

Edited by Delightful

So eloquent, so lucid! 

I love the young Master Lestibournes.  Spook is one of my favorite characters.  :wub:

Maybe Mistborn 2 and 3 will being of the even more awesomeness.

There’ll be a Mistborn 2 and 3?? Oi, I need to catch up on this Cosmere, ASAP.  It’s growing like a highstorm.  B) 

I’ve listened to Way of Kings two times now.  I may be able to squeeze another listen before the WoR comes out.  (and thank you for the upvote!)

It's growing like a pewtermind-tapping Feruchemist :)

I'm not 100% sure I have the slang right, but I try. :)

Mistborn is a trilogy of trilogies - we've seen the first one. Second will be around the Modern Age tech, and 3 will be Allomancy-powered sci-fi. (!!) Just to confuse things, Brandon also 'accidentally' wrote a book (as he does) which is between mistborn 1 and 2, called Alloy of Law -- he's also writing a sequel to that called Shadows of Self I believe. Lots of Cosmere awesomeness to come :).

Edited by Delightful

How about you?  Are you one of the lucky people who live near BYU and will be there for the awesome book release party? So jealous if you are. :)

No. I am not near enough, unfortunately. However, there have been comments involving livestreaming it, so that might be fun.

A question: What kind of ebook? That is, do you have a Kindle, or a Nook, or do you use an iPad, or what?

I have an Android tablet where I've installed the Kindle App and I've been hooked on Kindle ebooks for a couple of years now.  I've tried Nook books but had problems with the app from the beginning.  

The great thing about Kindle eBooks is that a lot of audiobooks from Audible.com have the Whispersync feature.  If you want to switch back and forth between reading and listening and back again, both Kindle and Audible apps know at what page ( or close enough) where you stopped (although admittedly, for some reason, this doesn't always work, but pretty convenient when it does).  And many times I've gotten the audiobook for a hefty discount if I've already bought the eBook since Audible is an Amazon company.

Do you read eBooks too, and on what platform? 

I have an iPad that I read eBooks on, when I read them. Generally, I prefer real books. They are just so much more... I don't know. They have a nice smell. Even for the Way of Kings, I preferred to carry the thing around for a week (for a read and immediate reread) than get the ebook.

Question: Where do you listen to your audiobooks the most?

I’ve installed the Audible app on my smartphone (Galaxy Samsung S4 currently), tablet and laptop (and occasionally use my mother's iPad), but definitely use my smartphone the most for listening to both audiobooks and music.  Oh, and I love the adjustable speed of the narration.  Some narrators seem to speak too slow for me, and speeding it up to 1.5x makes it seem more natural and make the listen go faster.

I never thought about the smell of a book!  But I know what you mean about the feel of a book.  It satisfies all the senses as well as the mind, it seems.  The beauty of a well-drawn map, the feel of the cover and crispness of the pages, the smell of leather and ink, and the sound of –er—me reading to myself.   A metal and glass tablet or smartphone, while convenient (having a search feature on any book is invaluable to me, especially the reference books I’ve bought, like the guide to essential oils that has over 600 recipes in it), does seem cold and heartless.

I have another question for you, dear Lady of Questions.  Who will be doing the livestreaming of the book release event?  Do you know if the party will have a DJ and music and wild dancing and cosplay?  Just so I know what I’m missing!

I like the search feature too. That's why I got the eBook. Still...

They haven't quite figured out the livestreaming yet. They're not sure how to do it. As far as I know, there won't be dancing. However, there will be some fun games, including trivia questions (some hard enough to stump Peter, I'm told). There'll be lots of lively discussions about theories and the like, too. There will be lots of time in the signing line to discuss. Then, you get to ask Brandon a couple questions as he signs your books, which will be recorded (probably by Josh or Mi'ch) and posted on here later. That's common practice on the signings, by the way. So prepare some questions and perhaps bring a recording device. Your phone would be fine. Brandon's usually fine with you just going up and asking if you can put your phone (or whatever) somewhere near the table and record the whole thing.

So. Do you know anyone in real life who reads Sanderson books? Are they coming to the signing?

I'll definitely bring a recorder or camera to the signing and take a pic if he'll let me. 

So far, I've tried to spread the word, but I'm fairly new to the fantasy genre, so people I talk to still look at me blankly.  I'm going by myself.  Are you going to any of the other signings?  

Today I've started counting down to the book release.  Only twelve more days!  :D

Edited by Aile

I can't go to any of the other signings. The nearest to me would be San Francisco, but since that's on a Tuesday, it doesn't really work out. I have school that day.

How did you discover Brandon Sanderson?

EDIT: I was wrong. It's a Thursday, which is even worse.

Edited by Limelleth

I sort of discovered Brandon's books through Amazon's recommendations.  The reviews on his books impressed me enough to download the audiobook of Mistborn: The Final Empire, but I got busy, and then later, I noticed the insane number of positive reviews for the Way of Kings. So I tried it.  I have to be honest.  The detail that Brandon puts into his books is overwhelming, but once I was sucked in, I was blown away.  I love the sort of immersion that I get when I read one of his books! 

• Chaos locked this topic