What do the Hemalurgic metals steal? (Electrum, Nicrosil etc)

Arkadious

Question

So far Electrum, Cadmium, Bendalloy, Nicrosil, and Chromium steal attributes which we do not currently know about. That means there are 11 metals which we already know what they steal. Have there been any recent updates that say what any of those spikes steal?

I had a theory that Electrum stole temporal Allomancy and in all the metal categories two attributes, Feruchemy, and Allomancy are stolen. However, until Sanderson does another reddit Q&A, this is all I have to go on.

What do you all think the others Hemalurgic metals steal?

7 answers to this question

The problem here is if the HoA's ars arcanum is right or not (I believe not).

If the AA is trustful the pattern we saw with the base metals is broken so no likely speculation could be made.

If the AA is wrong (and I think It's the reason we never recive an Era 2 AA in Hemalurgy) and the pattern of the base metal remain mostly correct:

Durallumium-Nicrosil will steal Allomantical enanched or Spiritual Feruchemy (I don't know Witch One stole One or another)

Electrum-Bendalloy Will steal Allomantical temporal Power or Feruchemical physical (It's an oddity but there are two physical quadrants in Feruchemy) but again I don't know Witch One stole what.

Alluminium, chromium, Cadmius and gold Will have to steal Human Attributes 

But unless we discover of the AA was wrong It's all' a speculation

Considering hemalurgy can be used on non-human, non-scadrian, and non-metallic arts magic users, I suspect that the Ars Arcanum is woefully incomplete regarding hemalurgy. So incomplete in fact, that the existing information is probably more misleading than it is enlightening. The only metal I feel even relatively comfortable saying we have a good understanding of, in terms of how it is used in hemalurgy, is atium, because it appears to be capable of stealing anything. I'd call everything else extremely unclear at this point...

5 hours ago, hwiles said:

Considering hemalurgy can be used on non-human, non-scadrian, and non-metallic arts magic users, I suspect that the Ars Arcanum is woefully incomplete regarding hemalurgy. So incomplete in fact, that the existing information is probably more misleading than it is enlightening. The only metal I feel even relatively comfortable saying we have a good understanding of, in terms of how it is used in hemalurgy, is atium, because it appears to be capable of stealing anything. I'd call everything else extremely unclear at this point...

Let's repeat this a few times. For good measure. 

3 hours ago, Calderis said:

Let's repeat this a few times. For good measure. 

Agreed.

Hemalurgy, by the admission of its greatest known practitioners, is really hard to use in any meaningful way.

Spook, the Lord Mistborn, one of hemalurgy's greatest advocates despite the obvious moral, ethical, and metaphysical implications and observable ramifications, opened his treatise on hemalurgy, which his God literally asked him to not publish, by stating that hemalurgy is so absurdly complex that he could not condone exploring aspects of the magic system beyond the scope of passing feruchemic and allomantic powers between people, which we have on good authority is the absolute simplest application of the magic system.  Let's repeat this: He admitted that killing innocent people and harvesting their souls was okay for a greater good (which is a highly controversial opinion and would be consider by most people, real and fake, to be unbelievably blasphemous), but he felt compelled to point out that trying to expand the knowledge-base of hemalurgy was basically hopeless for human beings using the scientific method/trial-and-error, and therefore to be abhorred.  He had no reason to lie which leads me to believe that he was telling the truth as he saw it after 100-ish years of exploring hemalurgy with his good-best-immortal-friend Kelsier.

It is widely speculated (keyword) that the southern Scadrians' medallion technology relies on hemalurgy.  It is generally, if not absolutely, accepted that the Shard of Autonomy is actively pursuing the genocide of southern Scadrians because of their magical technology and its implications and potential abuse if released to the Cosmere at large.

My headcannon is that Hemalurgy is to the Cosmere what nuclear armaments are to real-life civilization.  A boon, a curse, a glorious source of unlimited clean power, and a tool by which we could easily destroy ourselves and our descendants beyond any hope of salvation.

Hemalurgy can be used to basically engineer anything into anything else.  The cost of doing so is high.  The cost of learning how to do so is outrageously higher.  Considering the price real-life people had to pay for the knowledge and mastery of nuclear power, and the responsibility we inherited after doing so...

Let's just say that I can see why a Shard would feel compelled to intervene to stop this exploration, even if I don't agree that such intervention would be inherently moral...

On 9/18/2017 at 10:44 PM, hwiles said:

He felt that trying to expand the knowledge-base of Hemalurgy was basically hopeless for human beings using the scientific method/trial-and-error.  He had no reason to lie which leads me to believe that he was telling the truth as he saw it after 100-ish years of exploring Hemalurgy with his good-best-immortal-friend Kelsier.

Even without Spook's word, we know that the TLR and the Steel Inquisitors had Hemalurgic laboratories where they were experimenting for the past 1,024 years during the Final Empire. Per Harmony: they got nothing beyond what they already knew how to make: Kandra, Koloss, and Inquisitors.

That says just as much, if not more than Spook's failed attempts do. In total, we have roughly 1,100 years of trying and failing to gain any groundbreaking understanding of Hemalurgy.

Let's face the facts. We(the readers) are probably only gonna learn new things about Hemalurgy from Brandon and Ruin. Ruin's current host is.. disapproving at the moment. Brandon likes his RAFO's. And we can't easily come up with good enough questions with this little knowledge.

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

Even without Spook's word, we know that the TLR and the Steel Inquisitors had Hemalurgic laboratories where they were experimenting for the past 1,024 years during the Final Empire. Per Harmony: they got nothing beyond what they already knew how to make: Kandra, Koloss, and Inquisitors.

That says just as much, if not more than Spook's failed attempts do. In total, we have roughly 1,100 years of trying and failing to gain any groundbreaking understanding of Hemalurgy.

Let's face the facts. We(the readers) are probably only gonna learn new things about Hemalurgy from Brandon and Ruin. Ruin's current host is.. disapproving at the moment. Brandon likes his RAFO's. And we can't easily come up with good enough questions with this little knowledge.

I really hate to undercut myself, but to be fair, TLR, Spook, and all the inquisitors appear to have lacked the invaluable tool of discovery known as the scientific method.

It's...plausible...that previous scadrians' failure to understand hemalurgy was ultimately caused by poor methodology.  In real-life, people with basically as much capacity for intelligence as people today spent tens of thousands of years hunting, gathering, and searching for food basically all day every day before they finally discovered animal husbandry and agriculture...The reason for their failure wasn't ignorance or stupidity or lack of effort, it was a lack of rigorous methodology.

That said, I still don't think that any of the AA's list much truly meaningful info on hemalurgy.  The So-Scads may have made some groundbreaking hemalurgic discoveries, which would make them dangerous to everyone everywhere, but I'm skeptical that anyone, Khriss included, has ever previously understood the magic system beyond a very remedial level.

On 9/19/2017 at 6:25 AM, hwiles said:

Maybe what each metal steals depends on the planet Hemalurgy is used on.

Except for the god metals, they remain the same.