Perhaps

HoidGoodfellow

Hello all. This is my first time posting to this forum. Trying to get myself hyped for "Oathbringer." I already have it pre-ordered on audible.com. I have listened to Kate Readings and Michael Kramer's narration about three times already. They do an excellent job. I am listening right now so I am caught up for "Oathbringer," and I noticed something. One could make a  drinking game with how many times the characters in this series say "perhaps." This is not a criticism of Brandon Sanderson's writing, just an observation I found to be fun. We'll see if the pattern continues in "Oathbringer."

@HoidGoodfellow Welcome to the Shard! I haven't ever listened to the audiobooks (mostly because audiobooks in general seem to annoy me) but I have heard a lot of people saying that they did a good job, so yeah I might check them out one day.... perhaps :ph34r:

Do you ship Shalladin, Shadolin, or someone else?

Edited by Sami

Welcome! (I'm new as well.)

Your observation about "perhaps" is interesting! One thing I've really liked about Brandon's writing is how rarely he falls into habits like that. He has such a diverse vocabulary, but he also keeps his writing very accessible and non-distracting, which I think is a really difficult line to walk.

On 9/3/2017 at 8:40 PM, Sami said:

@HoidGoodfellow Welcome to the Shard! I haven't ever listened to the audiobooks (mostly because audiobooks in general seem to annoy me) but I have heard a lot of people saying that they did a good job, so yeah I might check them out one day.... perhaps :ph34r:

Do you ship Shalladin, Shadolin, or someone else?

I honestly think that Adolin (as much as I love him as a character) might turn evil. The fact that he has been left out of the radiant's (and maybe Kallidan stealing his girl), might make him an antagonist.

On 9/3/2017 at 8:45 PM, Nathrangking said:

Welcome @HoidGoodfellow to the perpendicularity of Brandon. We look forward to the addition of your voice to our "Shard pool" of knowledge. Which cosmere story is your favorite?

Maybe "The Stormlight Archives." It seems to be a culmination of the cosmere series. Odium seems to be the primary villain. on that note HURRY UP OATHBRINGER!

On 9/5/2017 at 4:16 PM, btcannon said:

Welcome! (I'm new as well.)

Your observation about "perhaps" is interesting! One thing I've really liked about Brandon's writing is how rarely he falls into habits like that. He has such a diverse vocabulary, but he also keeps his writing very accessible and non-distracting, which I think is a really difficult line to walk.

This was not a criticism by any stretch of the imagination. Just an observation. I too love Mr. Sanderson's wordplay. 

5 minutes ago, HoidGoodfellow said:

I honestly think that Adolin (as much as I love him as a character) might turn evil. The fact that he has been left out of the radiant's (and maybe Kallidan stealing his girl), might make him an antagonist.

Also yes. The Audible version is cool. Especially if you are too busy to read a super long book like "The way of kings." I listened while I drove to work.