Lessons we learn from Brandon's books

Rebecca

So, this is about life lessons found in Brandon's books. We learn so many things about so many different characters. We learn their strengths and their faults. We learn how they deal with their problems. And this, in turn, can help us deal with our problems. 

One of my favorite things I learn from his books is a lesson taught to me by Raoden, Shallan, and Mizzy. They've taught be to always be positive. To smile anyway, no matter what the circumstances.

Anyway, please share your favorite!:)

Oh there are so many. Forgive any spelling mistakes. I am big on audiobooks:

1. Don't try to force things that are meant to be. Example: Dalinar trying to create the Knights Radiant with Amaram.

2. How to deal with people suffering from depression. Example: Raoden with Galladen

3. How to overcome weakness. Example: The way Dalinar lives to avoid being the man he was.

4. Leadership. Example Kaladin gaining the trust of Bridge 4.

5. Interpretation of events. Example: Jasnah/scholars and many others are so confident they know everything, but we as the reader know they have no idea what's really going on in the cosmere. It is a warning against arrogance of you assuming too much.

6. "Read the small print". Ex. Words of Radiance very tiny spoiler

Spoiler

Adolins Duel and not clarifying who he was supposed to fight.

I could go on, but these are a few

Edited by Ammanas

Don't think that you are better than others because they believe differently (thanks Vivenna).

Also, @Rebecca as a fan of Kelsier and Axies, I feel obilged to mention that they too talk about the importance of smiling in face of bad situations, and being optimistic.

Edited by Toaster Retribution

I really like Kaladin's lesson dealing with Elhokar, and that sometimes you have to protect people you don't like because it's simply the right thing to do. (Though not simply done.) There's that lesson from The Emperor's Soul, where sometimes knowing a person is knowing the little things, and not the big achievements or faults. It not just about what, but also about why.

One thing that I see cropping up in Sanderson books is the lesson that religious fanaticism is bad. He generally depicts religion positively, but doesn't shy away from showing what can happen when people use it to justify their actions characters like Amaram, Dilaf, the entire Hierocracy and to a lesser extent Aradan all show the dangers of what can happen when people justify their actions under god/the priests said it was okay. Considering things that are going on today especially in places like the U.S. and the middle east I think this is an important message.

1 minute ago, Unhinged said:

One thing that I see cropping up in Sanderson books is the lesson that religious fanaticism is bad. He generally depicts religion positively, but doesn't shy away from showing what can happen when people use it to justify their actions characters like Amaram, Dilaf, the entire Hierocracy and to a lesser extent Aradan all show the dangers of what can happen when people justify their actions under god/the priests said it was okay. Considering things that are going on today especially in places like the U.S. and the middle east I think this is an important message.

To a certain extent yes. But Brandon also makes the point of if it is not religion people will use anything to abuse power. Look at Taravangion. His excuse is the unfettered human intelligence of a single day. Look what he has done. Look at high lord Sadeas. Just my two cents. Thank you for your comments I hope I do not come off as argumentative, buy only wishing to offer a differing opinion.

9 minutes ago, Calderis said:

@Unhinged, @Ammanas,

You're both right. The way I see that, is that no matter the source, following blindly does not remove the responsibility of your actions. 

In real world terms, whether it's religious like the inquisition, or military/government, like the Nazis, every person is responsible for their own actions. 

Yes, thank you. Your comment brought Szeth immediately to mind.

This isn't so much a life lesson as something that I found really relatable.  In HoA, while Spook was undercover in Urteau, he mentioned that the quieter and more reserved he was, the more people wanted to talk to him.  It seems like a small detail, but I see this every where in my life.  I'm pretty introverted, and don't talk much to people I don't know well.  But often when I'm new somewhere there's a number of people who try to talk to me a lot even though I'm pretty unresponsive.  I'd just count Spooks insight as just one more example of how well Sanderson understands people of all different views and personalities.

Kaladins determination is something I find comforting to read and be reminded of:

Spoiler

Didn't he deserve to do what was easy, for once? 

But he couldn't. To stop moving, to give up, would be the same as dying, and he could not let that happen.

I guess the lesson is "Don't let yourself give up, even when you want to and think you deserve to." That you gotta grit your teeth and roll out of bed regardless. 

Edited by Penumbra

• 4 weeks later...

Mistborn: The Final Empire was the first Cosmere book I read and it was at a time when I was going through a stage of learning to open myself up to other people (I am an big introvert). So reading Vin's story arc and seeing her having to open up for the first, like how I was, really helped me understand not only her character better but how to understand and deepen the relationships I was making in real life.

• Chaos locked this topic