The silence divine?

Xtremehappyface

Question

11 answers to this question

Brandon still calls it The Silence Divine in the most recent State of the Sanderson and the plan is still for it to be set on Ashyn and focus on disease-based magic.The work is unfinished and with no indication when he'll finish it but it's not been abandoned. He did a reading of part of its prologue during the Words of Radiance tour, here's a recording someone made.

The Silence Divine was planned for the story of Ashyn. The name was supposed to be changed because of its similarities to "Shadows For Silence in the Forests of Hell."

As far as I know it has not been written/released in any way. I could be totally wrong though... 

On 9/4/2017 at 7:16 PM, Necessary Eagle said:

Disease-based magic?

It's meant to be an "evolutionary" thing to help diseases survive. You aren't exactly gonna rush to eradicate/cure diseases when they let you fly/shoot lasers/etc... now are you?

I actually meant when will the story be published, because the version he read was an incomplete version of the first draft. Also, is there a thread for theorizing about Ashyn? Because I don't want to start a thread if there already is one.

Edited by SilverTiger

27 minutes ago, SilverTiger said:

I actually meant when will the story be published, because the version he read was an incomplete version of the first draft. Also, is there a thread for theorizing about Ashyn? Because I don't want to start a thread if there already is one.

No firm plans to write and publish it. According to Brandon's latest writing schedule, there is a window in spring 2018 where he plans to write a novella, which could be it, but it could be any number of planned stories, cosmere or non-cosmere. After that, he plans on going full Stormlight until Book 5 is done, with one novella between them. So, maybe a 25% chance of getting it in the next five years or so. So don't hold your breath.

There might be an ancient thread on disease magic, and I think there was some discussion in the thread linked above. But since there's so little we know about it, there hasn't been too much dedicated discussion. I'd say feel free to start a thread, if you have something specific to ask or suggest.

44 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

No firm plans to write and publish it. According to Brandon's latest writing schedule, there is a window in spring 2018 where he plans to write a novella, which could be it, but it could be any number of planned stories, cosmere or non-cosmere. After that, he plans on going full Stormlight until Book 5 is done, with one novella between them. So, maybe a 25% chance of getting it in the next five years or so. So don't hold your breath.

There might be an ancient thread on disease magic, and I think there was some discussion in the thread linked above. But since there's so little we know about it, there hasn't been too much dedicated discussion. I'd say feel free to start a thread, if you have something specific to ask or suggest.

Okay, thanks.