Doctor Who: Thirteenth Doctor

Who else is super excited for the new doctor? This topic can have spoilers for season 10!

Spoiler

I'm kinda sad Bill is getting her happy ending with Heather because Thirteen and Bill would be awesome and gay. I mean I just love Bill Potts and I'm so glad she's getting a happy ending with her girlfriend, but still! 

3 hours ago, Draginon said:

I think it'll be interesting to see if anyone in universe will treat her any differently, especially in the historical settings when women weren't taken seriously.

I expect her inherent Doctor-ness will overwhelm and annihilate any such resistance. She's still the Doctor.

I am quite excited. They've been teasing the possibility of a female Doctor since the early 80's. Finally!

3 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

I expect her inherent Doctor-ness will overwhelm and annihilate any such resistance. She's still the Doctor.

I am quite excited. They've been teasing the possibility of a female Doctor since the early 80's. Finally!

It would be interesting if they had it in her first episode trying to get into Doctor mode because people won't give her a chance just because she's a woman but after that she should give off the air of authority.

You have no idea how nice it is. To me it doesn't matter if the Doctor is a man or a woman, the Doctor is the Doctor, but I like seeing each iteration being different from the last. It's also disappointing hearing the sexist remarks on other boards, like on Rangerboard someone said that her son doesn't have a role model anymore and another gave a good rebuttal to another naysayer "oh, I believe you're mistaken, they cast an actual woman, not a man wearing fake breasts". Pretty half the fandom seems to be against it just because she's a woman now. Sure people complained about Capaldi being old, but that was a minority of people who were used to the Doctor being a boyfriend.

16 hours ago, Draginon said:

It would be interesting if they had it in her first episode trying to get into Doctor mode because people won't give her a chance just because she's a woman but after that she should give off the air of authority.

You have no idea how nice it is. To me it doesn't matter if the Doctor is a man or a woman, the Doctor is the Doctor, but I like seeing each iteration being different from the last. It's also disappointing hearing the sexist remarks on other boards, like on Rangerboard someone said that her son doesn't have a role model anymore and another gave a good rebuttal to another naysayer "oh, I believe you're mistaken, they cast an actual woman, not a man wearing fake breasts". Pretty half the fandom seems to be against it just because she's a woman now. Sure people complained about Capaldi being old, but that was a minority of people who were used to the Doctor being a boyfriend.

Eh. I would much prefer that they don't make a big deal of it. I'll honestly be extremely disappointed if they go that route in her first episode.

The angry misogynists have been quite entertaining. I've been treating them like the bunch of angry young whippersnappers they are. I've been watching Doctor Who since I was a kid in the 80's. Now I get to shake my cane at the whiners and tell them to get off my lawn. :P

56 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Eh. I would much prefer that they don't make a big deal of it. I'll honestly be extremely disappointed if they go that route in her first episode.

The angry misogynists have been quite entertaining. I've been treating them like the bunch of angry young whippersnappers they are. I've been watching Doctor Who since I was a kid in the 80's. Now I get to shake my cane at the whiners and tell them to get off my lawn. :P

I just see it more as continuing the 'what kind of Doctor am I?' they do for every first episode so she has to find her own version of Capaldi's shuttity up moments.

Its always silly hearing naysayers when it comes to a character played by multiple actors. Heck most people don't want a woman playing James Bond. In a sense a woman wouldn't be playing James Bond, the character would be Jane Bond! I've been watching the show since Smith was the current Doctor but I've gone all the way back to Hartnell so I know the show. My favorite Doctors had to be Pertwee, Troughton, C Baker (courtesy of Big Finish), Hurt and of course Tennent. Despite those five being my favorites I technically don't have a least favorite since I like them all in their own ways!

On 8/10/2017 at 10:17 AM, Draginon said:

her own version of Capaldi's shuttity up moments.

I'd completely forgotten about that one! And now I feel the need to go back and watch many Capaldi episodes so that I can relearn all of his good quotes.