Do darkeyes feel the Thrill?

This is more a general question that I'm hoping can be answered relatively quickly, but I am searching for instances in either WoK or WoR where darkeyes feel the Thrill. The only instances of feeling the Thrill I can think of come from Dalinar and Adolin viewpoint chapters and possibly a conversation between Sadeas and Dalinar. Essentially, the only examples I can come up with where a character specifically feels or notices another character experiencing the Thrill come from lighteyes chapters. During Taravangian's viewpoint Interlude it is mentioned that the Thrill had been particularly strong during the battle of Vedenar, but that single mention still doesn't prove that darkeyes feel it--it could still mean that lighteyes commanders were affected and gave irrational or vindictive orders intending to totally crush their opponents. 

It may be that we have a tainted sample size of darkeye chapters, as our main darkeyes are Kaladin the Radiant and all those in Bridge 4 who are his potential squires. With Dalinar losing the Thrill throughout WoK, there is a strong argument to be made that being a proto-Radiant or nascent Radiant--or even just receptive to stormlight like squires--makes it more difficult for the Thrill to latch on to you. This would also mean that Kaladin and Bridge 4 are similarly protected from the recklessness of the Thrill, which would explain why I can't come up with a specific instance of a specific darkeye experiencing the Thrill. 

Taravangian also mentions that certain Unmade are more intelligent than others...it may be that the Unmade causing the Thrill specifically targets the leaders of a nation and its most powerful military commanders and warriors (i.e., shardbearers) in order to foment additional pain and destruction, leading to more hate. 

I apologize if this topic exists already...I couldn't find it. I'm eager to read others' thoughts or receive a swift correction if I'm in the wrong. 

The only instance we have from the viewpoint of a darkeye is Kaladin, and he isn't able to tell us anything. 

Kaladin obtained his bond with Syl in Amaram's army, and we know from Dalinar that a bond interferes with the thrill. 

Until we see an unbonded Darkeye POV in combat in an area we know is effected by the thrill, I don't think we can answer this question. 

16 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Seeing that WoB, I know I've read it before. 

My previous post seems slightly ridiculous. I think I just enjoy debate. 

It's funny how in real life I'm that guy who loves to debate proposed facts and chastises those who go straight to Google. "The human experience is about debate and discovery, friends!", I proclaim loudly while patting myself on my enlightened back. "Don't just find out the answer, figure out the answer!", I cry, gently tapping a spoon on the foreheads of those with their phones out. "You are devaluing the gift of intellect, de-evolving the human race. You're little more than a marmoset with access to Siri!", I ramble, as those around me take a cautious step back, looking at each other as the wise may do when watching a madman approach, wheeling a broken office chair with the entire VHS collection of Star Trek:TNG on top of it.

Yet here, in the only world that matters, I giddily cite WoBs while ignoring the search, the context, the debate, the pursuit of bettermentness. Shame. Shame! 

Edited by Extesian

Just a point where we have seen a likely reference to darkeyes feeling the Thrill.

In the WoR interlude when Taravangian arrives at Jah Kevad on the ship, he talks with his aide and/or makes a mental note about how the Thrill sustained the soldiers such that they continued fighting through the night and destroyed the city. As I doubt that there are enough lighteye soldiers in the army to sustain that level of fighting, it feels like that he's referring to both lighteye and darkeye soldiers.

58 minutes ago, StormblessDave said:

In fact the only person who was a killing machine and most definitely did not feel the thrill was Szeth! 

It may not have been a Nahel bond, but he was still bonded to a splinter of Honor. That may have protected him similarly. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

It may not have been a Nahel bond, but he was still bonded to a splinter of Honor. That may have protected him similarly. 

That raises the question about the nature of honourblades, are they like the deadshardblades, now that they aren't bonded to the heralds? Or do they still act like radiant blades?

Another question, why don't the radiants experience the thrill, do we know why?

25 minutes ago, StormblessDave said:

That raises the question about the nature of honourblades, are they like the deadshardblades, now that they aren't bonded to the heralds? Or do they still act like radiant blades?

I think that they're still closer to the live spren. The Honorblades were what the Spren based Shardblades on. I don't think that Honor's death changed the Honorblades at all. 

I think that the Honorblades acted as an intermediary to enhance the bond the Heralds had with Honor. Think of them like an adapter fitting in between. One side connected to Honor and the other to the person. Honor's death removed the power source, but the adapter is unchanged. 

37 minutes ago, StormblessDave said:

Another question, why don't the radiants experience the thrill, do we know why?

Investiture resists investiture. I think being bonded to a splinter of a Shard creates a kind of buffer against the influence of a different Shard. 

14 minutes ago, StormblessDave said:

A quick doubt, if the stormfather dies will nahel bonds be possible? or honor blades?

If the Stormfather dies, the world of Roshar as it is ends with him. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1177#12

QUESTION

Question about the stormlight itself : a highstorm, full of stormlight, fills the spheres. Then, the KR use the stormlight or the stormlight evaporates with time. Question : where does the stormlight in highstorms come from ? Is there like a "rain cycle", but for the stormlight ?

BRANDON SANDERSON

the stormlight in the highstorm is transferred from the Spiritual realm through the Stormfather into the highstorm.

Without Stormlight, the ecosystem dies, and everything else dies with it. 

4 hours ago, Ciridae said:

Eshonai also feels the Thrill at the end of WoR. I don't think Nergaoul is selective about making people violent.

Do we have any indication if regular Parshendi experience the Thrill? She had a voidspren bonded, so it makes sense for Stormform Parshendi to feel the Thrill, but what about those in Warform on the plateau runs? It seems like there are visible indications of when a person is under the influence. Adolin easily picked up on this with Eshonai.

On 8/3/2017 at 11:45 AM, Crucible of Shards said:

Do we have any indication if regular Parshendi experience the Thrill? She had a voidspren bonded, so it makes sense for Stormform Parshendi to feel the Thrill, but what about those in Warform on the plateau runs? It seems like there are visible indications of when a person is under the influence. Adolin easily picked up on this with Eshonai.

I would also argue that Parshendi are distinctly not human. My question on darkeyes was more for the human characters...but boy, did that WOB shut me down. Thanks Brandon!

On August 3, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Calderis said:

If the Stormfather dies, the world of Roshar as it is ends with him. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1177#12

Without Stormlight, the ecosystem dies, and everything else dies with it. 

So does this mean that the Stormfather could stop cycling the Stormlight through the system, if he wanted? Not that it would be at all beneficial to him, but he has been known to think in a rather sideways manner. If he ever felt that he needed to punish people somehow, could he do it by taking away the Stormlight? That said, it would pretty much assure the victory of Odium, since the Radiants would no longer be able to use Surgebinding...

2 hours ago, Contessa said:

So does this mean that the Stormfather could stop cycling the Stormlight through the system, if he wanted? Not that it would be at all beneficial to him, but he has been known to think in a rather sideways manner. If he ever felt that he needed to punish people somehow, could he do it by taking away the Stormlight? That said, it would pretty much assure the victory of Odium, since the Radiants would no longer be able to use Surgebinding...

I doubt it. The Stormfather tells Dalinar that he couldn't not send the visions any more than he could refuse to blow the winds, or something to that effect. I highly doubt the Stormfather could simply decide to not send any highstorms.

14 minutes ago, Emerald101 said:

I doubt it. The Stormfather tells Dalinar that he couldn't not send the visions any more than he could refuse to blow the winds, or something to that effect. I highly doubt the Stormfather could simply decide to not send any highstorms.

I agree. He essentially is the storm. To end it would be ending himself. 

• Chaos locked this topic