Nightblood Vs Syl. Madness

Xero stormz

I have a theory as to why Szeth was given Nightblood instead of another shard or honorblade. It's been stated that Nightblood act as and basically is a shardblade. So I'll assume when he clashes with one it will be shardblade on shardblade. But what if nightblood can speak into the minds of live spren such as Syl and make her thoughts wild it corrupt basically rendering hey useless to Kaladin. Could this be a possibility why Szeth was given Nightblood at the end of WoR by Nale? That would certainly give him a huge edge over any other shard bearer 

Nightblood can control humans who he deems as evil. Spren are different. They're cognitive.  And even so, Nightblood only controls people as long as they hold him. There are no side affects after if they survive. Like those two servants in Warbreaker. 

I'm trying to find a WoB, but from what we know of Nightblood, he's a much more direct threat to the spren of an opponent. 

Shardblades cut in the physical and spiritual realms. Nightblood cuts on all three. Spren being Cognitive beings... This is bad for them. 

Additionally, Nightblood feeds on all types of investiture, and spren are just sentient investiture. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1160#13

QUESTION

If sprens are pieces of the god power, and investiture is the power of the god, then can Nightblood consume spren?

BRANDON SANDERSON

He could theoret- Yeah, he could totally consume spren. There's not even any “theoretically” to that.

So we don't need to worry about Syl being corrupted in such a clash. She probably wouldn't survive it. 

It would likely take longer than a few seconds of contact in a fight, especially if the person weidling him was feeding Nightblood Investiture. Which they would have to be, to be swinging him. 

11 minutes ago, Okdes said:

It would likely take longer than a few seconds of contact in a fight, especially if the person weidling him was feeding Nightblood Investiture. Which they would have to be, to be swinging him. 

The only time we have seen Nightblood unsheathed and feeding, he literally vaporized matter. 

In the Cosmere, matter, energy, and investiture are 3 states of the same thing. Nightblood literally obliterated anything he struck. 

I see no reason that a spren, who he would also be trying to consume, would fair any better. 

18 minutes ago, Calderis said:

The only time we have seen Nightblood unsheathed and feeding, he literally vaporized matter. 

In the Cosmere, matter, energy, and investiture are 3 states of the same thing. Nightblood literally obliterated anything he struck. 

I see no reason that a spren, who he would also be trying to consume, would fair any better. 

I agree with you though the question is how Invested something can be before Nightblood is unable to affect it. I expect, unsheathed, he can destroy a Shardblade. But I think a 'dead' one more easily than a live one because dead ones are closer to the Physical Realm. If Nightblood can't destroy them in the Physical Realm, because they're so highly invested, it may make it easier if you take Nightblood into the Cognitive Realm. WoB below is about hemalurgy but same principle could apply (and yeah he cuts on all three Realms so maybe it makes no difference anyway).

Q: Can spren be pierced by hemalurgic spikes? Will it give some effect?
A: Yes. A spren can be pierced by invested metal…
Q: Could it be spiked?
A: Could a spike be used to give abilities to spren? That’s not going to work really well.
Q: Could you steal from a spren?
A: Yes you could steal the investiture of a spren. Any investiture can be used in a spike if you know what you’re doing. It’s actually not that hard to use one on a spren.
Q: Because I thought you said hemalurgy needs moving blood.
A: It needs, uh, yeah…there are places where spren have more physical form, more tangible form.
Q: The Cognitive Realm?
A: Yeah if you go to the Cognitive Realm on Roshar the spren act differently.
Q: So you could spike in the cognitive realm?
A: Yeah I’ll leave a RAFO with you on that. That’s your fifth one. So there are ways to get any investiture into hemalurgy if you know what you’re doing. But yeah this is not something that would be a common use for hemalurgy. Let’s just say that.
Q: We do not concern ourselves with common uses.
A: Yeah I know you don’t. But yeah hemalurgy, when you’re spiking into somebody you…you’ll see when we get around to it.

"We do not concern ourselves with common uses." Staying in-character all the way, eh Kelsier? :P

So you could basically stab a spren with Nightblood and ask it to suck up the spren's Investiture, kinda like a vacuum cleaner? Is what I'm getting out of this.

3 hours ago, Rob Lucci said:

"We do not concern ourselves with common uses." Staying in-character all the way, eh Kelsier? :P

Rust and Ruin, they found me out!

Edited by Oversleep

So, if we suppose that Spren can be stabbed in the cognitive real because they have a more "physical form", then if nightblood hit a spren in shadesmar said spren would die, but if nightblood fought against a shardbearer with a living spren(kaladin, for example) in the physical real, said spren would "only" be hurt, or maybe broken(kind of like when the KR oaths are broken). Don't know if I'm getting that correctly, but I suppose that nightblood could act as a hemallurgic spike(because he feeds on Investiture), and so he probably needs a "true" physical contact to "spike" the opponent.

I suspect Nightblood will have a harder time affecting heavily invested objects. So a raw small spren is in serious trouble. But Syl with access to Kaladin's stormlight or (on a lesser level) really any shardblade spren is heavily invested enough to block a shardblade. That's more investiture than shardplate by leaps and bounds. Seemingly an unlimited amount(but more likely to be a direct link to greater sources of investiture). But I'm sure there's a breaking point. 

On that note... I've always wondered where all the missing blades went. I'm sure highstorms have disposed of some. And others went under the seas. But I wonder if there wasn't a purge of them when Nightblood was first lost to the skybreakers. The History seems to recent for that though. 

The only advantage that a Spren has over Nightblood is its ability to move on it's own. Nightblood is not going to have a problem effecting investiture because he literally feeds on it. 

A spren code flee and Survive, much like this hypothetical situation. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1093#5

PHANTOMMONSTROSITY

Let's say some mistborn jerk tosses Nightblood into the mists. What happens?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I suspect the mists would pull away from Nightblood, though he'd try to feed on them.

I think the way that Nightblood can kill a person with only a scratch is because he instinctively feeds on contact and consumes the soul. Spren being sentient investiture probably means they will survive longer, and so it will take more than just a scratch... But if Nightblood could feed on the mists, which are Pure Gaseous investiture, than investment offers no protection. 

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

The only advantage that a Spren has over Nightblood is its ability to move on it's own. Nightblood is not going to have a problem effecting investiture because he literally feeds on it. 

A spren code flee and Survive, much like this hypothetical situation. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1093#5

I think the way that Nightblood can kill a person with only a scratch is because he instinctively feeds on contact and consumes the soul. Spren being sentient investiture probably means they will survive longer, and so it will take more than just a scratch... But if Nightblood could feed on the mists, which are Pure Gaseous investiture, than investment offers no protection. 

I'm not so sure on that. Investiture seems to resist investiture. So density of investiture could affect things, as well as state. I mean. I eat steak. But a frozen steak is borderline impossible for me to eat. As is a steak the size of a mountain(at least in a reasonable amount of time). And a steak as dense as stone. We know Nightblood can manage the diffuseness of a human soul just fine. But other factors might alter that. 

• Chaos locked this topic