Alloy of Law chapter 1 (spoilers)

mycoltbug

Well, didn't Puck say that from the Vericon report? Yeah.

I'm assuming this is merely what Sazed calls himself now. There isn't evidence for the Shards of Ruin and Preservation to actually change.

I must have missed seeing that. That's good to know though. Intersting thought is that the building is called Ironspine, which I theorize is a hommage to Tor's main office which they call it something like the Iron Tower or something with Iron in the name...(stupid 4 hours of sleep making brain not work so well) I wonder if Peter or Brandon would confirm this or if there is a greater meaning to it.

Some things I found interesting:

-Apparently some of the old noble families still hold sway (the Tekiels)

-Now I think this may have been revealed before, but Wex seems to be a descendant of Breeze.

-As a Twinborn, he uses steel and iron. I wonder, if all twinborn use matched pairs of metals...

Can't wait for this to come out :)

Sounds like we've got some shiny new information that should go in the Coppermind.

Like this little tidbit:

Wax honestly didn’t pay attention to all of the definitions and names for Twinborn; he was called a Crasher, the mix of a Coinshot and a Skimmer. He rarely bothered to think of himself that way.

I'd do it myself, but I have no idea how to edit it

I think that TenSoon and Marsh have been up to some mischief....

“I have seen Death himself, with the nails in his eyes. I have seen the Survivor, who is life.”

We know that TenSoon kept Kelsier's bones, and that Marsh has a good chance of being alive with his bag of atium. So what are they doing around a half-mad mortician?

Also, I've spent too long looking for Hoid. I now immediately look for clues as soon as an older man is mentioned.

*sigh*

But then again, Tan may have been with Marsh. Remember the "seen Death with the spikes in his eyes?" And don't forget that Harmony has is slightly more Ruin then Preservation without the Atium mines.

But I don't think he would need Atium to do that. He expected it, and wanted to give a good performance, even if it was one he could only give once.

Now, whenever I read a book by Brandon Sanderson I immediately look for hidden meanings and information. I blame Chaos.

Wary, he too remained still. Steel continued to burn comfortably in his stomach, and so—as a precaution—he gently Pushed outward from himself in all directions. It was a trick he’d mastered a few years back; he didn’t Push on any specific metal objects, but created a kind of defensive bubble around himself. Any metal that came streaking in his direction would be thrown slightly off course.

Ooh, interesting.

Rust and Ruin, Wax thought. This isn’t Bloody Tan’s lair . . . it’s his gallery.

Ruin is kind of obvious as to meaning. Rust as an insult...means broken metal?

The brick walls were mostly intact, and there were four altars in the front, just to Wax’s left. An old chapel to the Survivor

Four altars? why four?

“I have seen God, lawkeeper,” Tan whispered. Where was he? “I have seen Death himself, with the nails in his eyes. I have seen the Survivor, who is life.”

Lots of important stuff here

It was the grandest city in all the world, a metropolis designed by Harmony himself.

He did, did he?

The ankle-length mistcoat had been divided into strips from just above the waist, the tassels streaming behind him with a faint rustle.

MIstcloak is mistcoat now. laugh.gif Even though it sounds of the same description..

Well, they already knew he was Twinborn—that was a matter of public record.

I find this very interesting. It makes a large shift from the first Era (the first trilogy of Mistborn, my title for them not official) where allomancers are kept secret.

they hadn’t had a misty night in weeks.

Is this Preservation mist or regular mist?

The city’s size still astonished him. Millions lived here, maybe as many as five million. Nobody had a sure count across all of its wards—they were called octants, and as one might expect, there were eight of them.

Millions. How many lived in Luthadel?

he wasn’t some mythological Mistborn from the old stories, like the Survivor or the Ascendant Warrior. One Allomantic power, one Feruchemical power, that was all a man could have. In fact, having just one was a rare privilege—being Twinborn like Wax was truly exceptional.

Hehehe, Mistborn are mythological now, like the ancient Greek heroes I guess.

And of course there is now electricity, but that is beside the point (i think).

Edited by Emeralis00

Is this Preservation mist or regular mist?

A little of both. In the morning, I'll go through the Brandonothology and find the quote. Gold Star for whoever beats me.

EDIT- Also, I've got a Realmantic Question for all of you- why doesn't Wax's Steelpush "bubble" affect the stuff he's holding?

[...] why doesn't Wax's Steelpush "bubble" affect the stuff he's holding?

I did not remember well, but where not the metals in contact with skin immune to allomancy? Unless you are "hemalurgically improved" (Vin, TLR, an so...). So maybe he has "cuts" or "holes" in his gloves to mantain metal in touch.

By way, i also thought of Vin as "Ascendant Warrior"

Loved this. So much. I really needed a Brandon kick right now and this hit the spot so perfectly.

I'd say that Tan was burning Atium. Though I didn't think to take his ramblings literally. I thought "Duh, of course Inquisitors would become devil figures." And remember, Marsh only has one spiked eye since his fight with Vin.

The mists are representations of Preservation's power, his presence. Where they go is where Sazed happens to be exerting Preservation's power at the time.

You can't Push on metal if it's stuck through the skin, not just touching it, otherwise wearing metal rings wouldn't be a sign of power, yeah? I'd say it's an instinctive thing, some kind of low level cognitive twitch that keeps him from Pushing his own stuff.

EDIT: CR beat me to it.

EDIT2: I would like to point out that if a chart is ever released of all of the Twinborn combination names, I will most likely memorize it. Yes, all 196 of them.

It's too bad Wax is putting the guns away, he could've been Allomantic BATMAN!

Edited by Silus - Shard of Flame

Dang it, I came on here hoping I'd be the first to put forward the Tan is using Atium theory. I'm not as clever as I thought I was.

Okay, but how about this theory? Tan is a Hemalurgist, and the bullet that killed Lessie is imbedded in his skin, making him more powerful. And he faked his death. Because he's done enough hemalurgy to survive gunshots to the head. Maybe?

Also, I'm sure the face that Wax is the 16th of his line has no significance at all. Nope. ;)

Edit: @Silus: shouldn't that be all 256 of them? 16 metals, right?

Edited by luminos