Eye of the World troubles

akasketch

(Quick note: OK, I know that this one isn't written by Sanderson, but the last few are, and I don't like reading books out of order.)

I'm having trouble getting through this one. I love reading, and Jordan is an extraordinarily good writer, but for some reason, I feel like I have to read it instead of like I get to read it, and thus am struggling like when I read Eldest by Christopher Paolini (which I would not recommend to those who haven't read its series; the history and magic system is well-thought-out, but the story does not have near the depth of its mechanics [which is one of the things I like Sanderson for]).

Basically, I'm needing a bit of encouragement, and while I'm pretty confident that just writing this will inspire me to  keep going through the wonderfully painted world, I know that if anyone can help me out with this, it's you guys.

This, this, a thousand times this.

I'm in the same boat as you. I just recently began the Wheel of a Time series, after trying to read it a few years ago- and dropping it because I couldn't get through Eye of the World.

Common consensus seems to be that the series gets better, which is how I pushed through it, and in fairness, I did prefer The Great Hunt and The Dragon Reborn

Edited by Quiver

TEotW was one of my first true fantasy ventures, so I tore through it. That said, I had trouble trying to reread it, so I can see where you're coming from.

The Wheel of Time is an excellent work of literature, in my opinion. Many have issues with some of the later books, namely 7-11, as well as getting into the story, as you seem to, akasketch. You can read my opinion of the later books on the other topic that's active right now. Book 1 is, in retrospect, only ok (except for the ending). 2 and 3 get better. Books 4-6 are the best, IMO, barring book 12. That is the turning point; if you are not engaged at that point, then it is not worth the last 8 books.

I think the audiobook suggestion is good if you are having trouble. Trust me, the series is a massive investment, but it is ultimately worth it.

WoT is not for everyone.  It speaks to people in different ways.  I was totally engrossed in eotw because it was fun and easy for me to imagine myself in the character's shoes.  I think that Eye of the World and The Great Hunt are really amazing series interest indicators.  If you can get through these two books and enjoy it, you will enjoy (really enjoy) the rest of the series.

Malazan on the other hand?  I have re-read Gardens of the Moon 2 times.  I have yet to move on to Deadhouse gates...

If you have any kind of commute, I do recommend the audiobook, for various reasons. Audio is how I read nearly the whole series.

What a great suggestion! I have read tWoT many times but never in audiobook form. It should be a good way for me and the books to get reacquainted (in the interest of occupying time while waiting for WoR.)

On topic, it would honestly be a shame for you to stop reading now. Although tEotW has its flaws, it does serve to set the scene for a great epic. There are just too many goodies awaiting you in the next books, that even if you find it a trial to read through the first book now, it would be worth it to go on. Books 4-6 in particular are pretty good, outside of the final three.

Remember that you are at the beginning of a 10 000 + page series. The first book gives you a solid foundation in history and by the end of it we as readers really start to see where this series is going.

With that being said, I loved EotW from beginning to end, and the only book in the series that I thought really dragged was CoT. Way too much Elayne

Well, Ive read the series about five times. I've found that Robert Jordan, he's a good writer, but his juggling of so many characters coplicates the story unless you go back and read it over and over. Brandon Sanderson fixed that problem. I think Elayne is the best character though besides Min and that you could never get enogh of either of them.

Still have yet to find a person who can tolerate Gawyn... he really is just insufferable

Yeah Gawyn is pretty bland. Nynaeve, Perrin, and Thom are the cool ones. :)

On the series; if you think EotW is bad, there is no way you will finish TGS or WH. Hang in there though. It IS worth it.

I gave up on EotW about 60% of the way through my first time reading it.  My friends were totally in love with the series, but I just couldn't finish the first book.  So, trying to give it another shot, I picked up book two, the Great Hunt and started reading there.  -That- one hooked me instantly.  After I finished reading the Great Hunt, I went back to finish EothW and the went through the rest of the series.