A Slight Flaw in The Diagram

6 minutes ago, john203 said:

odium avoided investing to keep his power up.

The listeners are somehow related to cultivation and odium. 

What if cultivation created them as an investiture sponge for Odium to keep him bound to the rosharan system, and Odium's goal is to kill off the parshendi, and only cares about humanity insofar as they are capable of genocide?

• QUESTION

Are the Parshendi of Odium?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Not originally.

TAGS

parshendi, odium

QUESTION

Are the Parshendi of Cultivation?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Not originally.

TAGS

parshendi, cultivation

If the Parshendi were created, they were created by Adonalsium. They are native to Roshar and predate the Shards. 

5 minutes ago, john203 said:

Point, but my idea still can stand as "cultivation altered the Parshendi to absorb Odium's investiture."

The problem with your supposition is that Cultivation can't do that, but Odium could.

Shadowsaber223 ()

If Odium were lured to Scadrial, would his physical body turn into a burnable metal? If so, could Harmony create an Odium-metal legion of Mistings to consume and burn it? Would that weaken him sufficiently enough to be killed or destroyed?

Brandon Sanderson

The difficulty here is, again, one of Identity. People born on Scadrial have an Identity tied to it and its magic. Odium would have to do certain things to make them able to use a magic he fuels. He has done these things on Roshar, so it's not impossible for him to manage it on Scadrial.

It doesn't fit that a Shard could grant access to the investiture of another Shard.

Edited by The One Who Connects

5 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

The problem with your supposition is that Cultivation can't do that, but Odium could.

It doesn't fit that a Shard could grant access to the investiture of another Shard.

Well, Preservation found a way to allow humans to "use up" Ruin's Investiture - by causing it to condense as Atium and then tweaking his own magic system so that Atium Mistings became a thing.

So I agree that Cultivation couldn't create an entire magic system that was "of Odium", but less dramatic manipulation seems to be possible.

5 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

Well, Preservation found a way to allow humans to "use up" Ruin's Investiture - by causing it to condense as Atium and then tweaking his own magic system so that Atium Mistings became a thing.

So I agree that Cultivation couldn't create an entire magic system that was "of Odium", but less dramatic manipulation seems to be possible.

Atium being a burnable metal in allomancy is more a product of Ruin having invested in Scadrial, in my opinion. Preservation didn't change things to make that possible, but once the possibility existed, took advantage of it and manipulated the spiritual genetics to produce seer mistings, something which we know is possible. 

On 6/5/2017 at 7:11 AM, Spoolofwhool said:

Atium being a burnable metal in allomancy is more a product of Ruin having invested in Scadrial, in my opinion. Preservation didn't change things to make that possible, but once the possibility existed, took advantage of it and manipulated the spiritual genetics to produce seer mistings, something which we know is possible. 

I agree that the potential for Allomancers to burn Ruin's god metal was inherent from when Preservation and Ruin made/invested in Scadrial. But without Preservation's actions when he imprisoned Ruin, there wouldn't be any atium to burn.

Atium doesn't seem to exist "naturally" though (and again doesn't as of Alloy of Law, with Sazed holding both shards). Preservation did more than just create Seers - he also split off a piece of Ruin's Investiture and set it up to "condense" as atium.

If Preservation could affect Ruin's Investiture to that degree, though, that opens the possibility for other Shards to do something similar.

I don't think anything like that actually has happened in the Rosharan system (I kind of doubt Cultivation wants Odium trapped in Greater Roshar, for that matter - she'd probably rather have him farther away), but I don't think that sort of manipulation is inherently impossible.

32 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

If Preservation could affect Ruin's Investiture to that degree, though, that opens the possibility for other Shards to do something similar.

While it is possible, it is highly unlikely because of the inherent dangers of it. Preservation's mind snapped as a consequence of the power he expended to split off a portion of Ruin's power and lock it away. He trapped Ruin's mind in the Well and his body in the Pits.

Additionally, Ruin's entire goal was to reconnect with that stolen power, so it's possible to do that. Unless the Oathpact traps Odium in a similar way to the Well, Odium could just reconnect with any stolen power whenever he wanted.

• Chaos locked this topic