Honor's Shard

James Baxter

Has it been confirmed that the Shard Honor has been destroyed irrevocably, like those on Sel? I know there are Splinters of Honor on Roshar, and that Tanavast is confirmed as dead, but since it is possible to Splinter a Shard without destroying it (Odium and the Unmade) is there a chance that Tanavast relinquished/passed on Honor before dying? 

If this already has a thread, links are appreciated! 

Honor is Splintered:

INTERVIEW: Apr 17th, 2012

Google+ Hangout (Verbatim)

ANDREA DIGNEY

Was Honor Splintered?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Was Honor Splintered? ooh someone's been paying attention, very much. I would say that yes Honor was Splintered. That is a very important question to be asking, someone really knows their stuff.

TAGS

Splintering isn't permanent:

INTERVIEW: Feb 12th, 2013

MASON WHEELER

You've said that Splintering a shard is essentially the same thing as the shattering of Adonalsium, repeated on a smaller scale.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah.

MASON WHEELER

And a while ago, someone asked you if Splintering was permanent or reversible, and you said that it can be reversed.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah.

MASON WHEELER

And shard holders tend to take the name of the shard they hold. So you've got Sazed, who goes by "Harmony" now, after taking up Ruin and Preservation. That makes me wonder, does he hold two shards... or one?

BRANDON SANDERSON

You could really answer that either way. The distinction is a really subjective one, and you could say that he's holding both shards, or that he holds one single Harmony.

TAGS

1 hour ago, James Baxter said:

since it is possible to Splinter a Shard without destroying it (Odium and the Unmade)

While it's true there are Splinters of Odium or Endowment (or Cultivation for that matter), they don't cound as Splintered Shards. Splintered Shard is a one who was killed and it's power Splintered, like it happened with Selish Shards or Honor.

Shards cannot be irrevocably destroyed, and the ones on Sel have not been. No matter how spread they are, I believe the fragments will maintain a connection to each other, or a memory of being connected. 

Mistborn Spoilers

Spoiler

Even Adonalsium has not been irrevocably broken. As shown in Mistborn, two of the shards were integrated together. 

23 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Shards cannot be irrevocably destroyed, and the ones on Sel have not been. No matter how spread they are, I believe the fragments will maintain a connection to each other, or a memory of being connected. 

Is there a way for the fragmented power to resolidify and/or have a new vessel?

31 minutes ago, James Baxter said:

Is there a way for the fragmented power to resolidify and/or have a new vessel?

Second WoB The Sovereign posted mentions that Splintering is not permanent, so technically speaking yes there is a way.

That doesn't mean that anyone (on the Forums or in the Cosmere) actually knows how to do this, or if anybody in-world has the power to do so, only that is can be done.

You can find all manner of speculation to this effect on here if you look for it(some of the ideas even make sense :))

• Chaos locked this topic