Shallan's 3rd Truth?

ILuvHats

Recently, I've been wondering what Shallan's third truth, especially after seeing Agewalkers theory about Kaladin saving Roshone.  I'll put it below.  Anyways, Shallan's admitted to killing both her father and her mother so far.  Her next truth will have to be one of similar tension, and I have a couple of theories to share.

1.  Shallan chooses between Adolin and Kaladin.

Most people concur that Shallan has better chemistry with Adolin than with Kaladin.  However, Sanderson makes it clear in WoR that Shallan could have a thing for Kaladin, and since they are one of the few Knights Radiant currently based in Urithiru, they will most likely be working together a considerable amount of time.  So, it's possible that Shallan will have to admit to herself who she is going to be with romantically as her 3rd truth.  True, this sounds a bit cliche, almost like Twilight.  If anyone could  pull this something like this off, though, it'll be Sanderson.

2.  Shallan's role in Ghostblood

Shallan doesn't seem very fond of Ghostblood at the end or WoR, especially after realizing both her father and Helaran died participating in this organization.  However, Shallan is certain to become increasingly involved with Ghostbloods, and will probably begin using her persona as Veil more and more often.  Based on the excitement she exhibits carrying out missions as Veil, Shallan could easily become confused as to who she really is, as her personality as Veil starts conflicting with her personality as Shallan the Radiant.  So, perhaps she will have to realize a truth about who she really is, as either Veil or Shallan, in Oathbringer.

These are the best theories I can think of.  If you have other theories, please list them.  Oh yeah, and here's the thread to Agewalkers post about Kaladin saving Roshone.

I just realized these are being discussed in a lot of other posts after perusing more posts.  Just a disclaimer.  I'm not trying to steal ideas.  I thought of these by myself, but these theories are similar to what other people are talking about, in regards to Adolin/Shallan, and Veil/Brightness Davar.  Not too original, am I, huh?  Oh well.

We know that she had to have had something going on to attract Pattern before her mother attacked her, my theory is that her family had already been abusive and unhappy. It would be interesting if her wish that she would have never had to kill her mother so that her family could be happy was actually all predicated on that lie.

Kaladin has said 3 ideals, and I'm pretty sure we have WoB that Shallan is one ideal ahead of him at the end of WoR.  So it would be her 4th truth we should be discussing =)

On 3/3/2015 at 0:32 PM, WeiryWriter said:

that is only his third oath.

He has sworn:

"Life before Death, Strength before Weakness, Journey before Destination" (1st Ideal of the Knights Radiant)

"I will protect those who cannot protect themselves" (2nd Ideal of the Windrunners)

"I will protect even those I hate so long as it is right" (3rd Ideal of the Windrunners)

Brandon has established that Shallan is a step farther that Kaladin as of the end of WoR.

Edited by platnumkid
not WoB but something...

7 minutes ago, platnumkid said:

Kaladin has said 3 ideals, and I'm pretty sure we have WoB that Shallan is one ideal ahead of him at the end of WoR.  So it would be her 4th truth we should be discussing =)

Yeah that's a good point :)

TGANCHERO

How many oaths can a Radiant swear?

BRANDON SANDERSON

There is an upper-limit/threshold to the number of oaths a Radiant may make. By the end of WoR, Shallan is a step higher than Kaladin.

I actually find it very hard to imagine what future Truths could match up to patricide and matricide, but maybe they don't need to. 

That would be Shallan's fourth truths, and not her third, and presumably her last to reach full knight hood. It may be about her love life, I always thought it would be about her future life, but it could also be about her past. once again. We will have to read it to find out.

For Lightweavers in general, I'm not sure how practical it would be to use a new/recent "truth" to gain advancement. If that was possible then theoretically you could use the same "truth" multiple times.

Lightweavers's speaking of Truths is supposed to help them becoming increasingly self-aware - ie becomes harder and harder to lie to yourself. Or at least so it seems but we don't know the full technical details, but "The stronger the truth, the more hidden it is, the more powerful the bond", according to the Cryptic in tWoK. So if Shallan starts lying to herself about something new that would harm her bond with Pattern (like how Kaladin almost killed Syl in WoR, and like how Shallan lying to herself about her mother "killed" Pattern in the past), and I find it hard to imagine that Shallan would just ignore the warning signs (plus we've already had that narrative in WoR so repeating it would feel weak).

So I think it would have to be something that pre-dates WoR in practice. Which doesn't give us much. The two most likely things I can think of is something further back in Shallan's past, which we've not seen yet. I think many readers would like to see Shallan's initial bonding of Pattern so that one might work, though whether that works best for Brandon is another matter. Another option I can think is highly speculative - perhaps admitting her deep dark truths to others can count too, the best example of this would be telling the truth surrounding her mother's death to her brothers since that's a lie she's kept up for years. However, that might feel too similar to her previous Truth.

I think her last truth will have to do with the garden and this particular passage. 

An image formed in front of her, born of Stormlight, created by instinct. She hadn’t needed to draw this image first, for she knew it too well.

The image was of herself. Shallan, as she should be. Curled in a huddle on the bed, unable to weep for she had long since run out of tears. This girl . . . not a woman, a girl . . . flinched whenever spoken to. She expected everyone to shout at her. She could not laugh, for laughter had been squeezed from her by a childhood of darkness and pain.

That was the real Shallan. She knew it as surely as she knew her own name. The person she had become instead was a lie, one she had fabricated in the name of survival. To remember herself as a child, discovering Light in the gardens, Patterns in the stonework, and dreams that became real . . .

• Chaos locked this topic