Interlude speculations?

TheDoomsday

Hey!

This is kinda random, but some of my favourite parts of The Stormlight Archive are the interludes in between each chapter. They are an interesting way to expand on minor and secondary characters and find out more about Roshar itself. So, what interludes will Oathbringer have?

Personally I'd like one about the Winds Pleasure if they survive, maybe from Yalb's viewpoint. Another one like Ishikk's from WoK, where they introduced other cosmere characters, would be cool too. Or maybe how Balat and the others are faring back in Jah Keved? Before reading WoR I thought there would be one about Lirin, but that would be unlikely seeing as Kaladin returns to Hearthstone in Oathbringer.

I know this is a pretty random topic, but let me know what you guys think.

58 minutes ago, Yata said:

As far as I remember the only confirmed Interlude is a Rysn's one...Of course there will be others but I think it's the only one confirmed

Rysn is one of my favorite characters in the Stormlight Archive, so honestly, this confirmation is all I need :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Quiver said:

Rysn is one of my favorite characters in the Stormlight Archive, so honestly, this confirmation is all I need :ph34r:

I saw too little of her for judge...Of course instead Rysn's plant has a special place in my heart

Here's what I could find. 

[94:20]
Q: [Us discussing savantism off to the side and Brandon overhears us]
A: What am I going to change?
BeskarKomrk: Something about savantism and how it works.
A: Yeah, savantism I’m tweaking. It’s not going to mean anything to most people, but if you are studying savantism, watch how it evolves in future books. There is an interlude from a savant viewpoint in Oathbringer, though.
Yulreulre: A Radiant savant?
A: A soulcasting savant

Boskone signing

That first one was also, from memory, read out at the recent ad astra event with a summary on another thread. 

Q Are any of the interlude characters that we’ve met in other interludes?
A You’ve met Axies the collector, and he appears in another interlude. Rysn is in an interlude in the first two books. You met Ash in one of the interludes and she’s going to be an important character, she’s very relevant. So I would say that a lot of the interludes have characters that show up again or are likely to show up 

Boskone signing

Axies, Ash, Rysn? Though it's unclear on second view that he's saying they'll all be in Oathbringer?

Edited by Extesian
Additional thought

There's another confirmed interlude that Brandon read at Boskone:

Spoiler

It's about a female ardent at a monastery (?) near the Horneater Peaks.

Spoilers: She is basically looking for a quiet place to read (what turns out to be a cheesy romance novel) while all the other ardents are freaking out about the Everstorm. At the end she has a discussion with another ardent about Dawnchant, as she's been working on translations based on what Navani reported from Dalinar.

As for speculation...

We've seen Axies every book so far. If he doesn't make a cameo in the main story I suspect we'll at least get a glimpse of him in another interlude like we did with Rysn. Maybe even a viewpoint.

We've gotten an interlude about (or by) a Herald in every book so far. So I'm guessing we'll see this again. My first guess would be Shallash, since she's supposed to be important and we didn't see her in WoR. My next guess would be "the man called Taln" because I don't see him coming up in the main story. But it could be Nale or some other Herald we haven't heard much about yet.

I don't see Taravangian getting a spot in the main story, and I think we'll need to see from him again to progress that storyline.

Other miscellaneous interludes... New Natanatan is such a mystery right now. I'd like to see something from there. An interlude from Thaylenah would also be interesting. Another from the northwest (Iri) wouldn't be surprising. Another from the Shin is also probably overdue.

6 minutes ago, jofwu said:

There's another confirmed interlude that Brandon read at Boskone:

Reveal hidden contents

It's about a female ardent at a monastery (?) near the Horneater Peaks.

Spoilers: She is basically looking for a quiet place to read (what turns out to be a cheesy romance novel) while all the other ardents are freaking out about the Everstorm. At the end she has a discussion with another ardent about Dawnchant, as she's been working on translations based on what Navani reported from Dalinar.

Ninja'd. But here's the link.

5 hours ago, TheDoomsday said:

So, what interludes will Oathbringer have?

Rysn was confirmed, there were the two Ardent ones that he's read at signings, and a semi-confirmed one for Taravangian. And whoever the throughput Interlude person will be(like Szeth in 1 and Eshonai in 2)

Bottom line: Book 1 had 9 Interludes and Book 2 had 11. We know about 3.5 for sure, and at least 3 more for the throughput person. That leaves about 2-4 complete unknowns that could be anyone at all

25 minutes ago, jofwu said:

I don't see Taravangian getting a spot in the main story, and I think we'll need to see from him again to progress that storyline.

In an older AMA, he said that there would be a Taravangian Interlude unless he saw fit to make it an actual chapter, so it sounds like he's a bit more in the main story that you'd expect in this book. I wonder where he could go to connect with the main story...

2 hours ago, Extesian said:

Axies, Ash, Rysn? Though it's unclear on second view that he's saying they'll all be in Oathbringer?

Axies was a cameo in Rysn's interlude in WoR, so he could easily be yet another cameo in someone else's for this book. Rysn was confirmed earlier, and Ash.. is a wild card at the moment, no idea where she would be.

32 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

...there were the two Ardent ones that he's read at signings...

Side note, I don't believe the one from Ad Astra was actually about an Ardent. The PoV Soulcaster was said to be from Liafor, one of the westernmost Makabaki nations, as they were exploring near Aimia. The Ardentia is the priesthood of Vorinism, an eastern religion; I don't recall seeing Ardents in Lift's interlude, for example, or in Edgedancer. It's a minor nitpick, but one that I found intriguing: maybe Soulcasters are treated differently across the four main cultural regions of Roshar (Vorin, Makabaki, Iri, and Shin).

1 minute ago, Pagerunner said:

Side note, I don't believe the one from Ad Astra was actually about an Ardent. The PoV Soulcaster was said to be from Liafor, one of the westernmost Makabaki nations, as they were exploring near Aimia. [..] It's a minor nitpick, but one that I found intriguing: maybe Soulcasters are treated differently across the four main cultural regions of Roshar (Vorin, Makabaki, Iri, and Shin).

You make a very valid point, I made an assumption while writing that because they were a Soulcaster, they were part of the Ardentia. (Not having read the whole interlude, I wasn't aware they were from Makabakam.) That and the Varshta(Vashta?) Monastery interlude was an Ardent away from the Alethela area, so it didn't seem too unlikely of an assumption.

But I almost certainly feel like Soulcasters would be viewed differently around the world. Not everyone has the same religious fervor that the Vorin do.

42 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

You make a very valid point, I made an assumption while writing that because they were a Soulcaster, they were part of the Ardentia. (Not having read the whole interlude, I wasn't aware they were from Makabakam.) That and the Varshta(Vashta?) Monastery interlude was an Ardent away from the Alethela area, so it didn't seem too unlikely of an assumption.

But I almost certainly feel like Soulcasters would be viewed differently around the world. Not everyone has the same religious fervor that the Vorin do.

I want to see how cultivation is worshipped in the east and how much soulcasting has to do with that religion.

4 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Axies was a cameo in Rysn's interlude in WoR

Are you referring to the captured Aimian among the Reshi? I am pretty sure that was not Axies.

9 hours ago, TheDoomsday said:

Or maybe how Balat and the others are faring back in Jah Keved?

Iirc, Shallan's siblings are on their way to the Shattered Plains/Uruthiru so we might seem them during a viewpoint chapter.

As to the OP, I think Axies, Rysn, Shalash, Taravangian, Lift, the Soulcaster, the Ardent reading the racy romance novel, Eshonai, and Venli will get Interludes. Perhaps one from the Shin though we might see Szeth there so they would not need one. 

14 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

As to the OP, I think Axies, Rysn, Shalash, Taravangian, Lift, the Soulcaster, the Ardent reading the racy romance novel, Eshonai, and Venli will get Interludes. Perhaps one from the Shin though we might see Szeth there so they would not need one. 

I though Eshonai was supposed to have regular PoVs. I'm also not sure about having two Parshendi PoV characters. 

I think we'll get an interlude from someone bonding a spren in a new Radiant order. I like the theory that Redin will be a Dustbringer, so I would put him as a potential interlude. 

26 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

The Wiki says otherwise.

23 minutes ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

Plus his tattooed body and the fact he was (probably?) trying to gather dizzy spren and mentioned the island's spren is a good indicator

Wow. I never put that together for some reason. I am ashamed! Thanks for linking the wiki. 

7 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

The PoV Soulcaster was said to be from Liafor, one of the westernmost Makabaki nations, as they were exploring near Aimia.

I thought I'd found all the interluded he has talked about but I completely missed any info about this haha. Do you know if there was a reading or did he just mention what it was about? 

3 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

I thought I'd found all the interluded he has talked about but I completely missed any info about this haha. Do you know if there was a reading or did he just mention what it was about? 

There was a reading. The recording hasn't made it online yet, so all I have is secondhand knowledge.

17 hours ago, Ciridae said:

This is from Ad Astra, just last weekend.

• Chaos locked this topic