Murder Mystery

A Budgie

So, this is a thing you may have heard of. Baciscally, you read this mystery, and try to guess what happened...

“Now, don’t read that book the entire time,” whispered Swara’s mother as they went into the room, “I know you’ve almost found out who the murderer is, but you know it’s better for you to be social.”
“Yes, mother,” she sighed, tucking the book into her bag.
She went over to where her aunt was standing.
“Aunt Arabelle.”
“Ah, Swara! How’s things going?”
“Good, thanks. Where’s Uncle Martin?”
“He’s just grabbing something, I think. He’d better get here soon, though, it is his party after all.”
“Wouldn’t have thought he would have had it in him,” said a man standing nearby.
“Eh?”
Swara recognised the man as Jake Chou, uncle Martin’s secretary.
“A party, that is. He’s usually quite a cool customer. Doesn’t bother chatting with any of his underlings.”
“He’s just quiet,” said Advik, another co-worker. “He works hard, and he doesn’t like to be disturbed.”
They engaged in small talk like this for a while.  Arabelle’s husband Gavin joined in after a while, as did a few other minor relatives.  Swara’s older cousin Tatws talked about a trip he was planning to research the night parrot in rural Australia, and Aunt Isabelle in turn boasted about the trip to Italy she had gone on last holiday.
A bottle of champagne was opened with a loud popping sound at some unidentifiable point in the night, and most of the adults had a glass or two.  Jake had three, when he thought no-one was looking. Aunt Arabelle and Gavin disappeared into the kitchen for a while to check on the dinner meal that was cooking, and while they were there Swara had to listen to Advik drone on about the intricacies of his job as a mechanic. Luckily, Tatws came to the rescue to chat about birds, and she escaped the lecture until he went on a toilet break. She was almost tempted to feign something similar herself when a loud scream came.
All heads turned to see Aunt Isabelle stumble out of a little side room, one hand bloody.
“It’s Martin! He’s been shot!”

“So, what’s the story here?” asked Detective Watts.
“Well, this man, Martin Ackroyd, was found dead by his sister Isabelle. He hosted a party for his birthday, but when he failed to turn up she went looking for him. He was found here, in this chair.”
“Yes, I can see that.”
“As the chair had its back to the door, at first Isabelle didn’t see he was dead. Oh, and we found the gun that he was shot with, too. It was under the couch there, next to the chair.”
“Thank you, officer,” said the Detective, looking at the spot. “Do we have any good suspects?”
“Not in the slightest. This’ll take a while.”
“No it won’t,” said Swara, entering the room. “I’ve figured out exactly who did it.”

It was Gavin, wasn't it. He wasn't present at the beginning, when it was stated that Uncle Martin was not present, but Arabelle, Jake,and Advik were. Tatws was also absent for a period of time prior to the discovery of Martin's corpse, but I'm not entirely sure. It's either Gavin or Tatws. You didn't tell us how long the body had been dead.

@A Budgie, I'm thinking that Uncle Martin had been dead prior to the start of the party. Unless whoever shot him killed him athe same time they opened the bottle of wine, so the pop of the gun and the bottle wouldn't have been heard. Because I'm assuming the gun didn't have a suppressor on it, so a gunshot would've been heard by everyone. My suspects with possible motives are Jake, who doesn't seem to like him and is under him, so might gain from his boss dying. Of course, that doesn't really line up, since he was present when Martin was mentioned to be missing. Gavin could be another one, since he wasn't present at the time, but I don't think he has any motive. Maybe it was Arabelle, because she wasn't mentioned for awhile, and she was the one who came out of the room all bloodied. It wouldn't make sense for hands to be bloody if she shot him though. Maybe it could be Tatws, since he disappeared right before Martin was found dead, but I guess not since you said it wasn't him.

I wanna say it was Jake. He could've been a bit tipsy from the extra wine (eh, not the best explanation), he has some motive for killing Martin, and he was last mentioned after his third glass of wine. He could've gone and killed Martin after that.

Obviously Martin was a depressed young man who was so sad that he had to host his own birthday party, that no-one had even remembered his birthday until he invited them that he committed suicide.

--------------------------------

Honestly, I think it was Jake Chou

“He’s just grabbing something, I think. He’d better get here soon, though, it is his party after all.”
“Wouldn’t have thought he would have had it in him,” said a man standing nearby.
“Eh?”
Swara recognised the man as Jake Chou, uncle Martin’s secretary.

Suspicious wording. "Wouldn't have thought he would have it in him", well he has a bullet in him, which is clearly stopping him from attending his own birthday, now his deathday.

Not to mention Jake is his secretary.

'nuff said. 

Edited by Darkness Ascendant
So i am "basically correct". I'll let u guys figure out which theory tho.

12 minutes ago, Quiver said:

@A Budgie

Can you describe the wound that Martin had? We know that he was shot; but was it a head shot, gut shot, shoulder? 
What kind of gun was used; do you have a bullet calibre?
Have they found the bullet itself yet?

The text is supposed to have all the clues you need to solve it.
Sorry, but there you go.

Just now, A Budgie said:

The text is supposed to have all the clues you need to solve it.
Sorry, but there you go.

No, that's fair :P I just figured it was worth asking.

Okay, then, so I think there are some things i's worth considering here:

- The timeline. When was Martin shot. It' worth noting that our protagonist didn't see Martin the entire evening; Arabella did, and she's the one who said he was going to pick something up. The room he was found in was "a little side-room", so it must have been close by... but no one noticed the sound of a gunshot. That suggests the time of death may have been while the corks were popping of the wine so no one would notice it. When Isabelle reported the death, however, she had "one hand bloody", suggesting she handled the blood when it was fresh. 

- Where Martin was found. He was sitting in the chair. Since there hasn't been any mention of damage to it, I have to conclude that the chair wasn't damaged; that is to say, the killer didn't come up behind Martina dn shoot through the headrest. That suggests that Martin and the killer were facing one another at the very least.

- The cast. We have some dissenting opinions among them regarding Martin... but all of them still appeared at his party. Maybe they felt an obligation - "If I don't show up, the boss will make my life Braize" - but based on the information we have, I don't see anyone hating him enough to kill him.

Therefore, my hypothesis:

I believe Martin killed himself. I believe that when he went into the side room to "pick something up," the something in question was the gun. I believe the reason he delayed so long in coming back was because he wasn't sure if he DID want to kill himself or not; he hesitated, weighing up his options.

When the champagne started, I think Isabelle went to find him, and found him cradling the gun. I think they may have argued over it, with one of them -in the struggle it wasn't clear which- pulling the trigger and shooting Martin. The blood on Isabelle's hand come have come from blood splashing out from the impact point, or from her instinctively trying to hold the wound shut after it happened.