Allomancy and realmic theory

Elendtheking

Hello everyone.  I'm currently doing a mental map on Feruchemy, allomancy and the different realm to understand compounding better and I wondered if any of you could help me understand how allomancy interacts with the physical, the cognitive and the spiritual realms.

Thank you for your answers.

Well, different allomantic powers operate in different realms. Tin, pewter, iron, and steel seem to be primarily physical. Brass and zinc seem cognitive. Gold, electrum, atium, and lerasium seem primarily spiritual. But I suspect it's all a little more complicated than that.

All allomancy draws power from Preservation, which is mainly in the spiritual.

1 hour ago, Belzedar said:

Brass and zinc seem cognitive.

While affecting emotions is messing with a cognitive thing, the power itself goes "over the top." Kurkistan (who mades it easy to find as it refers to time bubbles) and more recently myself, think it means that emotional Allomancy operates on a spiritual level.

zas’ sister: If Wayne and Breeze, like if Wayne had a time bubble up and Breeze was inside Pushing on somebody’s emotions what--
Brandon: He could still make that work. It wouldn’t dramatically affect it.  You’re going to have one of these sort-of effects--  Yeah, because what he is doing is on another Realm, it’s not going to affect it.
zas’ sister: Is that same with all [magics?]
Brandon: Not necessarily.  See what’s going on is if you are affecting things on the Cognitive Realm…
zas:  It’s kind of time-independent?
Brandon: Yeah? That’s not really--  Really it’s the Spiritual Realm that is time-independent, right?  All time and space are irrelevant once you reach the Spiritual.  You’re kind of going to go over the top, it’s going to work just fine.  In fact you can probably--  So he could use that to make his metals last a little bit better, probably.  So that is a hack of the magic systems that you could probably do.

Kirkistan's thoughts (Time bubbles thread)

This WoB is a bit unclear, but my interpretation here is that emotional allomancy operates on a Spiritual level, and in so-doing bypasses the timey-wimey effects of time bubbles. This is interesting because it implies that the way that time bubbles normally interfere with investiture is more a side-effect of their manipulation of time/space rather than a direct impact of the presence of the bubble.

Thanks for your replies

But It seems to me that temporal metals (gold, cadmium and alloys) operate on two realms: the spiritual (the temporal aspect) and the cognitive realm (perception of oneself or how one could have been with gold)

I also think that mental allomancy operates on the spiritual realm because copper and bronze don't seem to interact with the image of oneself (cognitive) and more with investiture (spiritual realm). Also emotional allomancy seems to enable one to control people pierced with hemalurgic spikes who then have a broken spirit web which is part of the spiritual self of a person.

Edited by Elendtheking

34 minutes ago, Elendtheking said:

Thanks for your replies

But It seems to me that temporal metals (gold, cadmium and alloys) operate on two realms: the spiritual (the temporal aspect) and the cognitive realm (perception of oneself or how one could have been with gold)

My understanding is the temporal ones operate on the spiritual realm because they look at connections - the perception of yourself if things had been or were different is based on analyzing connections in the spiritual realm and interpreting them backwards or forwards in time. The way Shards (at least some) can see the future. Cognitive doesn't need to come into it.

Btw great WoB @The One Who Connects. My mind is buzzing with theories to look up/propose. Not sure how I missed that one

6 minutes ago, Extesian said:

My understanding is the temporal ones operate on the spiritual realm because they look at connections - the perception of yourself if things had been or were different is based on analyzing connections in the spiritual realm and interpreting them backwards or forwards in time. The way Shards (at least some) can see the future. Cognitive doesn't need to come into it.

Btw great WoB @The One Who Connects. My mind is buzzing with theories to look up/propose. Not sure how I missed that one

But in this case, it seems that allomancy nearly never operates on the cognitive realm

i think that enhancement allomancy is linked with the spiritual realm since it has to do with investiture.

All the Allomantic Powers work to a certain extent into all three realms, but they are mainly focused to manipulate one of it.

For example (and this is aganist @The One Who Connects said): Emotional Allomancy may propagate into the Spiritual Realm (also if the distance seems to affect it so it's weird) but edits the subject's cognitive and forces the brain and the body to accomodate to this change (physical change)...But it's mainly Cognitive in its working.

The same thing with Steelpush/Ironpull, the Steelines are Spiritual in nature but they allow you to influence the target's physical...so the metal is mainly Physical in his working.

Edited by Yata

• Chaos locked this topic