[Secret History Spoilers] Rasheks Intent

Quiver

So, this is...part a question, part a theory, I suppose. It isn't based on any kind of realmantic knowledge though, so this is more me asking if this is possible or makes sense:

Was Rashek's personality affected by holding Preservation?

The reason I ask is because the Rashek of Secret History reads somewhat differently from the Mistborn books. 

In the trilogy, Rashek seemed to want to protect -or Preserve- the world from Ruin; he even kept himself in a personal stasis by decorating his innermost sanctum in the fashion of the old Terris people. He prepared the caches (even if he didn't think they would be much use) and, while an extremist, seemed to believe his goal was worth the methods.

In Secret History, however, he just scoffs and pops off to the Beyond, expressing disdain for the people he was, supposedly, caring for.

That could just be a result of dying; having just been killed by one of the people he was trying to protect might have made him decide "Screw 'em," and finally take off. 

But I was wondering if it was possible that Rashek's attitude, in life, was colored by his holding of Preservation during the Ascension? as in, despite using the power up, if that intent to Preserve rubbed off on him and affected how he acted while alive.

52 minutes ago, Quiver said:

That could just be a result of dying; having just been killed by one of the people he was trying to protect might have made him decide "Screw 'em," and finally take off. 

This has always been my take on the situation. A little more nuanced (e.g. I am not getting much of a dramatic vibe from Rashek, despite some of the things he does as the Lord Ruler, so I think he would have a "let's get on with it" kind of attitude towards (his) death), but essentially the same.

54 minutes ago, Quiver said:

But I was wondering if it was possible that Rashek's attitude, in life, was colored by his holding of Preservation during the Ascension? as in, despite using the power up, if that intent to Preserve rubbed off on him and affected how he acted while alive.

Only a little bit, perhaps. A tiny tiny bit. He must have only held the power for a brief period, which - considering that Shards don't instantaneously re-align their Vessels' character to match their own - was probably nowhere near long enough to make any changes. 

I know we are in a very speculative territory, but everything we know about how those things work - in both text and subtext - suggests to me that it is extremely unlikely that Rashek was changed in any significant kind of way.

9 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Wait really? That's pretty cool

Yeah. Pretty fun. I only learned of it recently, because it has never replaced anything I've said. I always thought the people saying chull and damnation were staying in character too...

Edited by Spoolofwhool

• Chaos locked this topic