Movie Adaption of the Way of Kings

Nashan’Elin

He's pretty enough, but does he have the acting skills to manage Adolin's character? I've never seen him before and he looks almost too young. Anyone who's seen him on screen have some feedback? 

I wouldn't mind someone who looked to be in their late twenties/early thirties for Adolin. Someone like Mathew McConaughey back during Contact. There may be ethnicity matching problems depending on who Dalinar is cast as, but since Adolin isn't full Alethi there is significant wiggle room. 

Spoiler

Image result for matthew mcconaughey contact

Jonah Hill attractive? Ummmm................Not even fully groomed and in a suit should he be making it on any list of attractive young actors. 

I don't think Charlie Heaton would quite be a good fit for Adolin....but what about Renarin? 

Spoiler

Image result for charlie heaton

Again, being half althei gives them some wiggle room, throw some glasses on him and he's perfect. 

Dalinar....whew, he's gonna be hard due to my limited knowledge of asian actors. Daniel Wu would be AWESOME, but he's too young. He's also too old to play Adolin. If they really wanted to play with Kaladin's age he could be Kaladin. I know he could pull of Kaladin's leadership ness, but I don't know if he could portray his depression. I've only seen him in Into the Badlands where he hasn't had to express a huge spectrum of emotion. Perhaps Ben Kingsley? He's got Indian heritage, so if the Alethi were made more Indian and less Chinese/Korean/Japanese, that'd work. I don't know, I love Ben Kingsley, and I think he could be an Amazing Dalinar, but if matching the ethnic descriptions of the characters is really important than there are probably other good options that I just don't know about. 

What about Joe Dinicol as Kaladin? 

Spoiler

Joe Dinicol.jpg

He hasn't hit it big yet, he's a cute young guy, and I don't know what his heritage is, but he could certainly pass off as asian with proper makeup. 

I'm not even going to try casting the women of SA, as badly as I know male asian actors, I know female ones worse. Plus what Shallan should look like is a mess, and..yeah. 

I think I prefer casting Mistborn where the only real problem is finding a talented enough young actress to play Vin. 

Edited by Left

Tor had Rose Leslie (Ygritte in GoT) as Shallan, which I think is pretty good. 

And as for Lucas Till, he apparently portrays Havok in the three newest X-Men movies. I havent seen them, but I reckon a lot of people have, so getting an opinion of him is probably rather easy. He is in Monster Trucks too :-) Look that one up folks, its wierd. 

On another casting related note, if they for some reason decide to include Axies, wouldnt Paul Bettany be nice for him?

5 hours ago, Left said:

at about Joe Dinicol as Kaladin? 

Hide contents

Joe Dinicol.jpg

He hasn't hit it big yet, he's a cute young guy, and I don't know what his heritage is, but he could certainly pass off as asian with proper makeup. 

I'm not even going to try casting the women of SA, as badly as I know male asian actors, I know female ones worse. Plus what Shallan should look like is a mess, and..yeah. 

I can't imagine him dark and brooding enough.

Paul Bettany would be an awesome Hoid, actually, or Axies, or could probably handle a number of other characters.

5 hours ago, Left said:

He's pretty enough, but does he have the acting skills to manage Adolin's character? I've never seen him before and he looks almost too young. Anyone who's seen him on screen have some feedback? 

I have no idea, I am basing myself purely on physical look :ph34r: He however isn't too young. He is in fact a bit too old. Adolin is 23, not 28. 23 is pretty young so yeah Adolin looks young.

5 hours ago, Left said:

I wouldn't mind someone who looked to be in their late twenties/early thirties for Adolin. Someone like Mathew McConaughey back during Contact. There may be ethnicity matching problems depending on who Dalinar is cast as, but since Adolin isn't full Alethi there is significant wiggle room. 

I say Mathew McConaughey's attractiveness is purely based onto his 6 packs and him being always pictured as a the "surf guy" who's 6 pack is put pretty much into evidence. Trust me, most women who love him are only looking at this 6 packs and almost nothing else (and as a woman I did look appreciatively at Mcgaugheys abdomen on more than one occasion :ph34r:, but he just isn't Adolin). Adolin cannot flaunt himself in such fashion, he thus needs to have a pretty face. McCnaughey, apart from being 2 decades too old, doesn't have the right physical look to pull off Adolin.

As for Dalinar, Ben Kingsley also is two decades too old for Dalinar. While I agree we do not need to be accurate for his character as give or take 5 years, few people would see the difference, he remains in his 70s, so yeah too old.

Joe Dinicol also is at least on decade too old for Kaladin. He doesn't look nearly young enough, so I say he is a no, but younger him, say a decade earlier might have worked. I mean, we could try to work with actors whom are currently too old, but might have looked right a few years ago. It would make it easier to say a given actor whenever this actor happened to be within the right age frame.

5 hours ago, Chull #445 said:

Tor had Rose Leslie (Ygritte in GoT) as Shallan, which I think is pretty good. 

And as for Lucas Till, he apparently portrays Havok in the three newest X-Men movies. I havent seen them, but I reckon a lot of people have, so getting an opinion of him is probably rather easy. He is in Monster Trucks too :-) Look that one up folks, its wierd. 

On another casting related note, if they for some reason decide to include Axies, wouldnt Paul Bettany be nice for him?

Rose Leslie also is at least one decade too old for 17 years old Shallan, but I love Paul Bettany for Axies. 

Sorry :ph34r: I feel I am always disagreeing :ph34r: I am very picky on this.

I was just looking over the other roles, and I realized, Summer Glau would actually make an awesome Sylphrena.  She's a lot like River Tam, personality wise, and she would make for an incredible Syl when she's angry or forceful too.

Also, Molly Quinn could do Shallan just fine.

6 hours ago, Left said:

Based on the X-Men movies, yeah, I think he's got the acting chops probably.  He's young, but of course he'd need to be, and I think he could give Adolin the personality he should have.

Edited by Jondesu

9 hours ago, Jondesu said:

I was just looking over the other roles, and I realized, Summer Glau would actually make an awesome Sylphrena.  She's a lot like River Tam, personality wise, and she would make for an incredible Syl when she's angry or forceful too.

I absolutely love Summer Glau, great pick :) We aren't seeing much of her anymore and I do think she would be able to portray a good Syl.

4 hours ago, Harbour said:

Everytime i imagine Kaladin i draw the picture of the men with arabian appearance, like this one:

5933c1a1b07ec_.png.a493f8b47f13b5a98c079bcde5feaed3.png

I too prefer going arabic over Asian mostly because I feel it offers wider possibilities in terms of casting. It also allows Adolin to actually have blond hair which is the one element of casting I am intransigent on :ph34r:

I don't who this guy is, but physically he makes an amazing Kaladin. I love the pic.

At 44, Anson Mount is too young for Dalinar so he'd have to portray Amaram. The problem with casting Dalinar is we have to pick a man viewers will believe is old enough to be Adolin's father. Mid-forties is stretching it a bit, especially since he would barely be older than his niece. Fifty-something would be preferable, but then again, if they go younger, they could make it work with the younger character's casting. At least, if they go for it, I'd be sure they wouldn't cast a too old actor for Adolin.

10 hours ago, maxal said:

I have no idea, I am basing myself purely on physical look :ph34r: He however isn't too young. He is in fact a bit too old. Adolin is 23, not 28. 23 is pretty young so yeah Adolin looks young.

I say Mathew McConaughey's attractiveness is purely based onto his 6 packs and him being always pictured as a the "surf guy" who's 6 pack is put pretty much into evidence. Trust me, most women who love him are only looking at this 6 packs and almost nothing else (and as a woman I did look appreciatively at Mcgaugheys abdomen on more than one occasion :ph34r:, but he just isn't Adolin). Adolin cannot flaunt himself in such fashion, he thus needs to have a pretty face. McCnaughey, apart from being 2 decades too old, doesn't have the right physical look to pull off Adolin.

As for Dalinar, Ben Kingsley also is two decades too old for Dalinar. While I agree we do not need to be accurate for his character as give or take 5 years, few people would see the difference, he remains in his 70s, so yeah too old.

Joe Dinicol also is at least on decade too old for Kaladin. He doesn't look nearly young enough, so I say he is a no, but younger him, say a decade earlier might have worked. I mean, we could try to work with actors whom are currently too old, but might have looked right a few years ago. It would make it easier to say a given actor whenever this actor happened to be within the right age frame.

Rose Leslie also is at least one decade too old for 17 years old Shallan, but I love Paul Bettany for Axies. 

Sorry :ph34r: I feel I am always disagreeing :ph34r: I am very picky on this.

So I do disagree with you on McConaughey. Mostly because I myself find him very attractive, and abs are nice but not my thing. The women in my family haven't seen any of the films where McConaughey is shirtless, and still have roaring crushes on him. 

As for age, you're obviously going very strictly by the book and trying to match actor and character age very tightly. I don't desperately care about matching them that tightly. I really care more about actor experience, charisma, and skills than about matching the descriptions perfectly. I want the movies to be very strong on their own feet, which in the case of Stormlight will guarantee some cuts and changes in the adaptation process. I'm hoping for actors that can own the movie and bring it to life than ones that Look like they've sprung off the page. 

My point being, I think we're hoping for very different things, which is totally fine. As long as it's done well, I think either method of our casting could result in fantastic choices and a great movie:)

1 hour ago, Left said:

So I do disagree with you on McConaughey. Mostly because I myself find him very attractive, and abs are nice but not my thing. The women in my family haven't seen any of the films where McConaughey is shirtless, and still have roaring crushes on him. 

As for age, you're obviously going very strictly by the book and trying to match actor and character age very tightly. I don't desperately care about matching them that tightly. I really care more about actor experience, charisma, and skills than about matching the descriptions perfectly. I want the movies to be very strong on their own feet, which in the case of Stormlight will guarantee some cuts and changes in the adaptation process. I'm hoping for actors that can own the movie and bring it to life than ones that Look like they've sprung off the page. 

Ah well all tastes are different. I don't find McConaughey's facial features to be overly pleasing and these aren't what I had in mind with Adolin. Also, white it true men's appeal doesn't always pass through their features, a character such as Adolin most probably has to be have them. Adolin is the guy all women automatically swoon over, he isn't winning them by the self-assured charm older men such as McConaughey can get away with, he is just plain handsome. Whoever plays him out to be plain handsome. You can't sell his characters as Alethkar's heartthrob without casting with an actor able to pull it out. A guy such as McConaughey just looks too confident, too mature to truly be Adolin whom is a combination of competence, ease of talk, youthful awkward charm, hidden insecurities, handsome face and a boyish grin. We need someone who can play those aspect, someone who can play the rich and privilege, but terribly down-to-Earth, while having the audience believe he actually is insecure. There is something irrevocably immature about Adolin, how he gets call "boy" by basically everyone, he can't be 30, the narrative wouldn't work, but I mean, YMMV.

I care about age because if I am to watch the "coming of age story", if I am to believe those character's behaviors are inline with their respective age, then I need actors whom are within the right decade. Nothing breaks my immersion as much as a 30-something being passed for a 20-something. Also, if you cast them with 30 years old actors, you will get stuck for 40 years old actors still playing 20-something character once you reach movie 3 or 4. My take is it would be preferable to cast the young characters with equally young actors who'll grow into the role, preferably unknown. Known actors can be used to fill in more mature important roles such as Dalinar, Navani, Sadeas, Amaram and Jasnah.

Obviously, I am very intransigent on the age thing: there are very few exceptions where I agreed with an older actor playing a younger role. Most of the time, the guy really looks like if he were in his 30 even if they dress him up younger.

1 hour ago, Left said:

My point being, I think we're hoping for very different things, which is totally fine. As long as it's done well, I think either method of our casting could result in fantastic choices and a great movie:)

That's something we can both agree on :) I know I am picky, but hey, we can't be perfect. I get possessive of books I love :ph34r:

Oh and I forgot to mention, I definitely approve of arabic actors, there's SO many really good looking ones and highly skilled ones. Maxal and I would probably even be able to find a few we agreed on for Adolin. Kaladin would definitely be easier to cast as arabic than as Han chinese or a similar ethnic group. I guess I also think that there would be more mainstream appeal for an Arabic lead than say a Korean one, since middle eastern actors bring Saiid from Lost to mind for me, while Korean ones bring to mind.....kpop drama. I'm thinking that Korean drama hasn't quite gotten a hold of the average American psyche yet:lol:

44 minutes ago, Left said:

Oh and I forgot to mention, I definitely approve of arabic actors, there's SO many really good looking ones and highly skilled ones. Maxal and I would probably even be able to find a few we agreed on for Adolin. Kaladin would definitely be easier to cast as arabic than as Han chinese or a similar ethnic group. I guess I also think that there would be more mainstream appeal for an Arabic lead than say a Korean one, since middle eastern actors bring Saiid from Lost to mind for me, while Korean ones bring to mind.....kpop drama. I'm thinking that Korean drama hasn't quite gotten a hold of the average American psyche yet:lol:

I do agree. Arabic does open more possibilities and it eases the casting while retaining the ethnic feel of SA. And I so love Naveen Andrews :wub:, so we definitely would need to find a role for him. How about Sadeas? I mean, sure he isn't portly but that's not overly significant and/or he could gain some weight for the role.

23 minutes ago, maxal said:

I do agree. Arabic does open more possibilities and it eases the casting while retaining the ethnic feel of SA. And I so love Naveen Andrews :wub:, so we definitely would need to find a role for him. How about Sadeas? I mean, sure he isn't portly but that's not overly significant and/or he could gain some weight for the role.

Roshone, Amaram, Sadeas, Gaz, or Taln. He's unfortunately definitely the wrong age for the main protagonists, but he could do the villains excellently. I love him too, so I wouldn't want to relegate him to a smaller roll as one of the bridgeman. 

9 hours ago, Harbour said:

Also there is Daniel DiTomasso:

CasieStVAAE1U-S.jpg

I don't normally jump in these threads other than to see who people are speculating about, but I had to jump in because this dude is basically my mental image of Kaladin made real.

I know it doesn't fit what we know about their actual look, but my brain made the Alethi a kind of middle eastern/Asian hybrid and this dude scowling is totally the Kaladin in my brain. 

1 hour ago, Left said:

Roshone, Amaram, Sadeas, Gaz, or Taln. He's unfortunately definitely the wrong age for the main protagonists, but he could do the villains excellently. I love him too, so I wouldn't want to relegate him to a smaller roll as one of the bridgeman. 

Not Taln. Taln is black or I always picture him as deep black. He isn't a bad fit for Sadeas. He is 48 years old, so by the time they film it, he'd be 50 years old. I say he could pull it off. He'd need to gain a few pounds, but I definitely think he has the right energy to play cunning smart, but passed his prime Sadeas.

Amaram, I pictured him as someone a bit younger, early forties maybe.

Roshone, I always saw as an old man with white hair :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

I don't normally jump in these threads other than to see who people are speculating about, but I had to jump in because this dude is basically my mental image of Kaladin made real.

I know it doesn't fit what we know about their actual look, but my brain made the Alethi a kind of middle eastern/Asian hybrid and this dude scowling is totally the Kaladin in my brain. 

I prefer the other scowling dude @Harbour suggested, but whichever scowling dude, they look good. The guy is probably too old though, but the look is right, same thing, but a decade younger.

New choices were added to the link @billyswifty provided and they left me confused...

I mean, I have nothing against Taylor Kitsch, but at 36 years old (and he actually looks a bit younger) he is just way too young for Dalinar.

I mean, I have nothing against Chris Pratt (though he is no Adolin), but at 37 years old (and he really looks them), he is just way too old for Adolin not to mention actually older than one of the suggested actors for Dalinar :o

I wonder if the irony of it has escaped anyone else but myself?

And Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for Kaladin??? Where is the rational in this one?

Most of the protaganists are really young or really old.

Kaladin is 17-18, same for Shallan and with Lift who knows.

Plus, if you think of actors ages for sequels, you'd want people who can't look any older for Dalinar and really young for others.

48 minutes ago, axcellence said:

Most of the protaganists are really young or really old.

Kaladin is 17-18, same for Shallan and with Lift who knows.

Plus, if you think of actors ages for sequels, you'd want people who can't look any older for Dalinar and really young for others.

I agree they would need to cast the younger characters with... young actors and not thirty-something actors producers think look young enough. I mean, we can't have 45 years old Kaladin/Adolin within movie 4-5... And Kaladin is actually 20 years old, not 17-18 ;)

Ideally, I would cast them with actors within the 18-23 years old range.  I would probably cast Lift as a 13-14 years old and let her age with her role, just as they did with Arya.

I think it is important the young characters look young and not mature, but this is something producers usually struggle with greatly when it comes to casting.

Not sure if this has been said but Dafne Keen for Lift? 

I think with a softer accent than in Logan she could totally pull off the acting and she looks pretty much exactly how I imagine Lift to look like.

1 hour ago, Jace21 said:

Not sure if this has been said but Dafne Keen for Lift? 

I think with a softer accent than in Logan she could totally pull off the acting and she looks pretty much exactly how I imagine Lift to look like.

Love it :):wub: Great pick. She's 12, so perfect.

Edited by maxal

Id say Maggie Q with minimum cosmetics would make a pretty good Jasnah.

Also look at some Indian actress. Some of them would also be a pretty good candidates for Jasnah role. Like this (too young but you got an idea):

neha-sharma-pretty-indian-actress-high-d

3 hours ago, Rob Lucci said:

Too beautiful and doesn't look mature enough, IMO. I always imagined Jasnah to have a very stately kind of beauty, something more asian-looking.

She's half Filipino though  and by the time the movie starts production, she'd look mature enough to be Jasnah and still be believable as niece/daughter to who might play Dalinar/Navani. 

1 hour ago, Harbour said:

Id say Maggie Q with minimum cosmetics would make a pretty good Jasnah.

Also look at some Indian actress. Some of them would also be a pretty good candidates for Jasnah role. Like this (too young but you got an idea):

neha-sharma-pretty-indian-actress-high-d

Maggie Q would make a great Navani, IMO.