CosmereAvair

Question

So first post on the forum, and after reading some theories i have an interesting question to ask.

Do you think that Cultivation could invest part of her shards power into Odium, and that's why he is trapped on Braize because he is somehow connected to cultivation like what preservation did to ruin?. Also side question do you think if a shard splintered could cultivation then invest that power for her own purpose?

6 answers to this question

I believe that if it is possible for Preservation to imprison Ruin, it would be possible for this to happen from other shards.  It is possible, however, that the nature of Preservation and Ruin, being diametrically opposed, caused the imprisonment to be far more effective.

I also think that it is likely that the pact between Preservation and Ruin to create a world together allowed Preservation to do some things that would not be possible without a 'willing' opponent, so to say. I  believe it is entirely possible that Preservation "tricked" Ruin into putting himself in a more vulnerable position so Preservation could trap him.

I think this is unlikely to be the case with Honor/Cultivation and Odium.  Odium was not involved with Roshar's creation, nor were Honor and Cultivation.  We also see nothing similar to the Oathpact on Scadrial, which has been theorized to be heavily involved in the conflict with Odium.

On 17.1.2017 at 8:17 PM, Mirdrim said:

I believe that if it is possible for Preservation to imprison Ruin, it would be possible for this to happen from other shards.  It is possible, however, that the nature of Preservation and Ruin, being diametrically opposed, caused the imprisonment to be far more effective.

I also think that it is likely that the pact between Preservation and Ruin to create a world together allowed Preservation to do some things that would not be possible without a 'willing' opponent, so to say. I  believe it is entirely possible that Preservation "tricked" Ruin into putting himself in a more vulnerable position so Preservation could trap him.

I think this is unlikely to be the case with Honor/Cultivation and Odium.  Odium was not involved with Roshar's creation, nor were Honor and Cultivation.  We also see nothing similar to the Oathpact on Scadrial, which has been theorized to be heavily involved in the conflict with Odium.

Small correction, but Ruin and Preservation are not diametrically opposite Shards; Cultivation would be closer to an opposite of Ruin than Preservation.

I believe this was stated in a WoB.

24 minutes ago, Rob Lucci said:

Small correction, but Ruin and Preservation are not diametrically opposite Shards; Cultivation would be closer to an opposite of Ruin than Preservation.

I believe this was stated in a WoB.

I don't think that was actually the meaning of that WoB.  I think he was pointing out that there isn't a direct "opposite" for most Shards.  Cultivation could have been as close as or slightly more of an opposite to Ruin, but so was Preservation.  There's not a line that they all fall on, but instead they are a wide spectrum, so aspects of each could be opposing to others, so the more aspects of one that oppose another's aspect makes them closer to perfect opposites.