Useless compounding (minor era 2 spoilers)

Shqueeves

i think there was something about being able to retain memories in your head and copy them to a coppermind at the same time. And since memories stored in a coppermind don't degrade over time, the end result is a near-perfect recollection of basically anything you want.

3 hours ago, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

i think there was something about being able to retain memories in your head and copy them to a coppermind at the same time.

Probably not this, since compounding amplifies the tapping effect (in this case retrieving of memories), rather than the storing one. But yeah, there have been theories about copper compounding being used to copy memories in some way.

36 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I think it's pretty confirmed now that Compounding copper lets you multiply memories. The proof is the coin from the end of BoM. Unless Sovereign just randomly gets rid of his memories by storing them in coins...

We don't know how special that coin was. It could very well have been one of a kind. I don't think it was, but I think it's too early to say it's confirmed.

Considering the fact that Ruin was able to change anything written, and could 'hear' anything spoken, it would be advantageous to be able to duplicate a memory without needing to tap a coppermind, write it down, store it, then read your memory, which at this point could be compromised by Ruin (or Preservation - though this would presumably be pretty out of character)

2 minutes ago, Mirdrim said:

Considering the fact that Ruin was able to change anything written, and could 'hear' anything spoken, it would be advantageous to be able to duplicate a memory without needing to tap a coppermind, write it down, store it, then read your memory, which at this point could be compromised by Ruin (or Preservation - though this would presumably be pretty out of character)

Ruin could change the memories in copperminds too because feruchemy was created from his power as well as Preservation's power, so nothing would actually be prevented. This was noted by the metal tablet written by Rashek's uncle, which is why overall the only way to stop Ruin from changing your words is by writing it in metal.

7 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Ruin could change the memories in copperminds too because feruchemy was created from his power as well as Preservation's power, so nothing would actually be prevented. This was noted by the metal tablet written by Rashek's uncle, which is why overall the only way to stop Ruin from changing your words is by writing it in metal.

Thanks for the clarification.  It's been a bit since I last read Mistborn.  That makes a little more sense in the context of Sazed going to visit the tablet again before visiting the Well.

• Chaos locked this topic