What was your favorite part in sandersons books?

Jude

13 minutes ago, Jude said:

My favorite par was in mistborn well of ascension when Vin was running back to luthidel at the end of the chapter when it said

"she ran and she cried."

My favorite part of Mr. Sanderson's books is in Words of Radiance when Szeth and Kaladin fight in the middle of the Everstorm. Well, TBH, I love the last 300 pages, does that count?

Edited by Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew

I personally loved the scene where the Thaylen merchant and his apprentice went to Shin.  It was super cool to see the Earth-like part of Roshar for the first time, and realize how immersed I had become in the story.  I felt like Shin was such a strange place, the "stupid" grass, the strawberry and the chickens that shouldn't have been able to survive on the planet.  All things I have seen in real life, and I thought it was strange.

As far as action, I thought the arena duel scene with Adolin, Renarin and Kaladin was awesome. I always really enjoyed Szeth's scenes, as seeing his mastery of lashings was so cool.

I have to mention the scenes in Mistborn when Sazed uses the majority of his metalminds up fighting off the Koloss.  When he gets huge and holds the gate, so badass.  I also loved the scene where he squared off with the Inquisitors.

The parts I enjoy the most are when the action fades and a character drops a quick, yet profound statement that can hit you emotionally like a ton of bricks.

Shallan's answer to Hoid's question that beauty is when pain is the least, Spook being reminded that Kelsier was his friend and gave him a name, Shae's comments on how even inanimate objects want to see themselves as beautiful, all the times Kaladin remembers his father telling him that "someone has to start" being good to others, Kaladin giving his "I just wanted to protect them..." line.

There's a lot them like that.  I think the quick way they're inserted, but then not dwelt upon or explained in detail by Brandon makes them feel more profound because it encourages your mind to dwell on the deeper things.

50 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

The parts I enjoy the most are when the action fades and a character drops a quick, yet profound statement that can hit you emotionally like a ton of bricks.

Shallan's answer to Hoid's question that beauty is when pain is the least, Spook being reminded that Kelsier was his friend and gave him a name, Shae's comments on how even inanimate objects want to see themselves as beautiful, all the times Kaladin remembers his father telling him that "someone has to start" being good to others, Kaladin giving his "I just wanted to protect them..." line.

There's a lot them like that.  I think the quick way they're inserted, but then not dwelt upon or explained in detail by Brandon makes them feel more profound because it encourages your mind to dwell on the deeper things.

Yeah, I have to agree. The way Brandon writes makes you feel what the character is feeling, doesn't matter if it's nostalgia, sadness, depression, joy, etc.

My favourite parts are:

• the 4v1 (at the beginning) duell, it was just cool^^
  • when Kaladin is released from prison and sees Adolin had imprisoned himself until Kaladin was freed. Adolin is one of my favourite characters and that´s largely because of this scene, Adolin doesn´t care what would be the best course of action politicaly, he sees something isn´t right so he will do what he can to make it right (or at least rub it into the face of the guilty one^^)
  • Nearly the entire ending for Sixth of the Dusk. I can´t put my finger on what exactly i find so great about it, it´s just Dusks whole character and how his relationship with Vathi evolved

2 hours ago, Samaldin said:
  • when Kaladin is released from prison and sees Adolin had imprisoned himself until Kaladin was freed. Adolin is one of my favourite characters and that´s largely because of this scene, Adolin doesn´t care what would be the best course of action politicaly, he sees something isn´t right so he will do what he can to make it right (or at least rub it into the face of the guilty one^^)

:wub::wub::wub: 

I would also add Adolin does it without expecting anything in return. He never got any credit for it either, he doesn't ask either, but still.. Everyone just takes him for granted.

Every single one of Adolin's chapters are among my favorite scenes... :ph34r:

While I love so many moments, this one is probably my favourite (FE spoilers)

Spoiler

When Kelsier goes to confront the Lord Ruler, as well as the lead up. 

I just remember reading it for the first time (it was my first Brandon Sanderson book as well), and my breath just caught in my throat, and I was just reading it, absolutely speechless with tears in my eyes, whispering in my head a silent 'no, no, no'. It was such a good culmination of so much, and Kelsier's line of "you still have a lot to learn about friendship, Vin," just broke my heart in two, and from then on the end of the book felt so bittersweet, great and amazing, but bittersweet.

(SH)

Spoiler

At least Secret History made it a little better though.

Mine was the moment when Sazed was kneeling next to Ati and Vin's bodies. He started to bond with Preservation and Ruin and everything was finally clicking into place. I had been dancing right on the edge of the truth, but it hit me then like a train loaded with trucks and explosives. As I realized what Sazed was and as he fixed the world, I felt blown away to my very core. It was the moment I realized just how good an author Brandon is and how much the whole story had impacted me. It might sound strange, but that moment changed the way I saw the series. 

On 12/10/2016 at 4:47 PM, Jude said:

I also like the part in mistborn when spook saves that little girl out of the burning house. spook is my profile picture.

And he is also mine. I personally enjoy seeing Spook become the Survivor of Flames, and how Ruin's influence actually has a positive impact on him. Over the course of Mistborn, Spook becomes a stronger and stronger character, using Ruin's gift to save people, and not caring about costs. He was a true hero.

His writings on Hemalurgy were interesting as well. It shows that he really didn't lose touch with where he came from, and with the struggles he had.

Honestly, my favorite moment happened outside of the Sanderson books. I had read quite a few of his books and had been thinking about the fact that even though they went about it in different ways, many of Brandon's characters were similar in their powers. At which point I started thinking how cool it would be if the characters from different books could actually team up like the heros in comics do from time to time. I'd had that thought for a while and it was about that time I first saw this forum and got to reading about world hoppers. I had to go back and listen to my audiobooks again. It hit me at that point that Brandon was way ahead of me and had been setting these books up for just such an interaction. Finding characters that shouldn't be there has become one of my favorite hobbies. Finding a character that is a world hopper without being told about them is a big thrill. Reading Bands of Mourning, and getting to the part where the people all wear masks, and realizing that I've seen this in another Sanderson book. That one was fairly obvious, along with a few others. I can't believe I didn't catch the big one from Warbreaker my first time through. Left me feeling kinda dumb... Anyway, my favorite part of a Sanderson book is finding all the hidden nuggets. It just adds a depth that a lot of other books are missing.

In all honesty there are tons of favorite bits. A few that really stand tall in my mind though are:

Kaladin's memory of his father confronting the townspeople who came to rob them

Tien's story.. the feels!!

The ending of SoS, that was cold

Adolin and Kaldin's arena duel

Kelsier vs. inquisitor 

Vin's earring and Sazed's ascension

Everything Breeze says

And many many more

Edited by Demandred

54 minutes ago, Demandred said:

In all honesty there are tons of favorite bits. A few that really stand tall in my mind though are:

Kaladin's memory of his father confronting the townspeople who came to rob them

Tien's story.. the feels!!

The ending of SoS, that was cold

Adolin and Kaldin's arena duel

Kelsier vs. inquisitor 

Vin's earring and Sazed's ascension

Everything Breeze says

And many many more

Kelsier vs the inquisitor was magnificent! You finally got to see the full extent of a mistborn, and it was amazing. And then it was amazingly sad... 

5 hours ago, DarkJester said:

Kelsier vs the inquisitor was magnificent! You finally got to see the full extent of a mistborn, and it was amazing. And then it was amazingly sad... 

But also the battle between adolin and 3 other shard bearers. but that part was good too.

• Chaos locked this topic